Speculation: Who's the Avalanche's Best Hockey Player

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Duchene has one year like that as well, so I think if you were going to look at PPG/career you could remove those years for both.

(This is 12-13 removed for Landy & 11-12 for Duchy) It's .715 Vs .798, that's a 7 point difference over 82 games.

Agreed, but it's not like he came back from injury, and after a week or so was back to himself either. I'd love to vote either of Varly or EJ, but I just can't, and Varly didn't have his second half beast mode this last year which usually saves his ass (And the teams).

Edit : At least you considered it, between Duchy and Landy. Some can't seem to see there is a valid argument there.

Oh def. The points made about Landy's consistency convinced me that I should consider him the best. But for me ultimately its emotions driving my choice for Duchene. Ill admit to that.
As far as the on ice performance, he gets more of an edge due to the fact he got 30g's after such a slow start and got better in the dot. Named to Team Canada and performed exceptional there.
He's a good one. There's no shame in thinking he's our best player.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
its hard to disagree with a lot of these arguments, and it appears that several of the players are in very similar realms. its very hard to determine what makes player A better than player B, especially when they play different positions and have different roles on the team.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I was close to saying Duchene because until someone passes him he still is the best producer on the team. Landy's two way play is important. And I recognize MacKinnon isn't all the way there yet. However, I think the player that makes the most impact and whose absence is felt the most when he's not in the lineup is MacKinnon. Maybe that hasn't translated to the points it needs to just yet but that still doesn't take away the fact that he's the most talented player on the team. And talent doesn't mean potential.

I just can't give it to him yet though. Not after watching him :banghead: game after game trying the same two moves once he enters the offensive zone.

I'm fine with him going on a scoring slump, but use your speed to take the damn puck down low once in a while or drive the net and create garbage for your line mates to pickup. He also took some steps defensively, but also is extremely inconsistent there as well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh def. The points made about Landy's consistency convinced me that I should consider him the best. But for me ultimately its emotions driving my choice for Duchene. Ill admit to that.
As far as the on ice performance, he gets more of an edge due to the fact he got 30g's after such a slow start and got better in the dot. Named to Team Canada and performed exceptional there.
He's a good one. There's no shame in thinking he's our best player.

Landeskog got an A on a Swedish team that has a ton of experience as well. ;)

Yeah I get it lol, as I almost picked Duchy myself.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I know people are ignoring my answer (McLeod) because it seems like a joke, but the fact is Roy trusts Mcleod more than any other forward on the team when they need a goal to tie late or protect a lead. Technically my answer is kind of legit:laugh:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Dutchy for me. Want it to be MacK but he's just not there yet. Hopefully next season is the one for him where he just takes over.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Landeskog takes too many penalties at the most inopportune times. Duchene draws penalties on the defenders.

Duchene is the Avs best hockey player for now.

Glick1

Nov 14, 2013
I voted Duchene but we all know when Varly is hot and has it going, he is easily our best. Overall through the slumps and peaks, Duchene is the best.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Landeskog takes too many penalties at the most inopportune times. Duchene draws penalties on the defenders.

That is definitely a knock on Landeskog for sure. Duchene does have some years where he draws a loony amount of penalties.

I do kind of wish that Roy would put Landeskog, and Duchene together on a line and tell them to figure it out.

Duchene is our most experienced center, and Landeskog is our best winger. It's not like Duchy does not know how to play below the goal line either.

I've never completely understood why they have been kept apart. No they don't have instant chemistry, but I feel like two intelligent players with experience could figure it out.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
That 9s line was like the first dominant offensive line we've had in forever...well since the Landy-Stats-Mack line...(sigh..memories..oh what could have been)

Any chance they revisit that? I guess we'd have to stomach Mitchell as our no. 3 though

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
My choice is Duchene...he's great offensively, decent defensively and is the best face off guy on the team. I understand some choosing Lando but for me, he is too inconsistent and tends to take bad penalties at bad times, which hurts the team and Varly is too inconsistent.

I do think it will be Mack by a wide margin in a couple years though

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That 9s line was like the first dominant offensive line we've had in forever

Any chance they revisit that? I guess we'd have to stomach Mitchell as our no. 3 though

Everybody seems to forget that it was only dominant for like 8 or 10 games before petering out. That's why they abandoned it. Other teams just focused everything on shutting that line down and we didn't have the depth to punish them for it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That 9s line was like the first dominant offensive line we've had in forever...well since the Landy-Stats-Mack line...(sigh..memories..oh what could have been)

They were dominant, but they also were not able to sustain it offensively, and had to be split up, because if they didn't score enough to win the game then we lost.

There were some nights where I thought MacK should have been the RW on that line instead as well. He had games where he absolutely killed the play offensively by shooting right into the goalies chest directly after he crossed the blue line.

So sure... I'm down the reunite that line, as long as Roy finds another line in camp that can contribute offensively.

A line of Greg, Rantanen, and Colborne? lol

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
They were dominant, but they also were not able to sustain it offensively, and had to be split up, because if they didn't score enough to win the game then we lost.

There were some nights where I thought MacK should have been the RW on that line instead as well. He had games where he absolutely killed the play offensively by shooting right into the goalies chest directly after he crossed the blue line.

So sure... I'm down the reunite that line, as long as Roy finds another line in camp that can contribute offensively.

A line of Greg, Rantanen, and Colborne? lol

Hey if one of those three can actually work out at C then Roy absolutely should use them back together

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Hey if one of those three can actually work out at C then Roy absolutely should use them back together

That is a whole hell of a lot of meat, and brains on one line.

6'3" 209lbs
6'5" 221lbs
6'4" 211lbs

Points if you can guess who is who without looking, lol.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Maybe this is the reason the Avs haven't had much success in years. This past season, it was MacKinnon for the first 30 games. Then it was Duchene the rest of the year. The year before that, it was EJ until he blew his knee out halfway through the season. The year before that it was Varlamov.

The Avs haven't had a consistent best player. Hard to be a successful team when you're best players aren't always your best players.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I was close to saying Duchene because until someone passes him he still is the best producer on the team. Landy's two way play is important. And I recognize MacKinnon isn't all the way there yet. However, I think the player that makes the most impact and whose absence is felt the most when he's not in the lineup is MacKinnon. Maybe that hasn't translated to the points it needs to just yet but that still doesn't take away the fact that he's the most talented player on the team. And talent doesn't mean potential.

I voted Duchene but completely agree with this. Mackinnon is very close and I have a feeling (with a little hope) that Mackinnon will be undisputedly better the first time these guys step on the ice next year.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Those penalties don't influence the scoreboard nearly as much as Duchene giving up a goal though, which he has given up a ton more than Lando.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Didn't read the OP. Picked Mackinnon based on potential. Duchene is currently the better player. Mackinnon can take that spot in the first week of playing

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Didn't read the OP. Picked Mackinnon based on potential. Duchene is currently the better player. Mackinnon can take that spot in the first week of playing

He WILL take it in the first week/month, then he will lose it back to Duchene.

Duchene will then lose it to Varly, who will be the our best player for about a month until he loses it to EJ.

EJ will then have a season ending injury and will lose it to Barrie, who will lose it to Landeskog eventually.

But i think MacK will finish with it, as we miss the playoffs by 4 points.

MacK will have a disapointing start to the 2017-2018 season and will lose it back to Duchene.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Those penalties don't influence the scoreboard nearly as much as Duchene giving up a goal though, which he has given up a ton more than Lando.

Duchene was on the ice for 2.45 goals against/60 last year ES
Landeskog was on the ice for 2.28 goals against/60 last year ES

Duchene was on the ice for 2.50 goals for/60 last year ES
Landeskog was on the ice for 2.33 goals for/60 last year ES

Duchene's offense/60 was .17 goals/60 better than Landeskog
Landeskog's defense/60 was .17 goals/60 better than Duchene.

Statistically speaking their strengths evened each other out perfectly.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Duchene was on the ice for 2.45 goals against/60 last year ES
Landeskog was on the ice for 2.28 goals against/60 last year ES

Duchene was on the ice for 2.50 goals for/60 last year ES
Landeskog was on the ice for 2.33 goals for/60 last year ES

Duchene's offense/60 was .17 goals/60 better than Landeskog
Landeskog's defense/60 was .17 goals/60 better than Duchene.

Statistically speaking their strengths evened each other out perfectly.

Ha, that is interesting that it's as close as you can get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->