Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other. Please post.

Votes: 18 4.2%

• Total voters

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Pretend that we all agree that Gretzky, Howe, Orr, and Lemieux are top 4 all time. Who's the 5th best ever? The poll choices are a copy of the History of Hockey's Top 100 project.

RankPlayerPositionBornNationBirth City
1Wayne GretzkyC1961CanadaBrantford, Ontario
2Gordie HoweRW1928CanadaFloral, Saskatchewan
3Bobby OrrD1948CanadaParry Sound, Ontario
4Mario LemieuxC1965CanadaMontreal, Quebec
5Bobby HullLW1939CanadaPoint Anne, Ontario
6Jean BeliveauC1931CanadaTrois-Rivieres, Quebec
7Patrick RoyG1965CanadaQuebec City, Quebec
8Doug HarveyD1924CanadaMontreal, Quebec
9Maurice RichardRW1921CanadaMontreal, Quebec
10Ray BourqueD1960CanadaSaint-Laurent, Quebec
11Howie MorenzC1902CanadaMitchell, Ontario
12Sidney CrosbyC1987CanadaHalifax, Nova Scotia
13Dominik HasekG1965Czech RepublicPardubice, Czechoslovakia
14Eddie ShoreD1902CanadaFort Qu'Appelle, Northwest Territories
15Nicklas LidstromD1970SwedenKrylbo, Sweden
16Jaromir JagrRW1972Czech RepublicKladno, Czechoslovakia
17Red KellyD / C1927CanadaSimcoe, Ontario
18Denis PotvinD1953CanadaVanier, Ontario
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There are many options for the fifth spot, but I like Hasek there. In my opinion he has the best peak outside of the four removed players and his longevity is actually quite impressive.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Crosby

Injuries took away from him the chance to pass Howe.

Healthy Crosby wins the 11,12,13, and 15 art Ross trophies along with hart+lindsay combos in 3 of the 4. 07/08 he would have also been closer to the Ross though I think he ends up losing out. His 3 best years were unfortunately riddled with injuries from 11-13

Healthy Crosby wins the 11 and 13 Ross + hart/lindsay combo.
Healthy Crosby can win the same awards in 2012 - but you can't just assume so. He was a better player than Malkin at that point in time - but it's also possibly the best offensive season in the past 15 years, and it's unfair to Malkin to assume Crosby does better. Let's say 50/50 he wins some awards, as it likely it between him and Malkin that year.
07-08 He'd have had a chance at the Ross. Let's say a 30% chance, to give respect to Ovi's great season.

2015 - he was healthy. Every player misses a few games here and there - this shouldn't count. Imo he lost this one fair and square, and did so on the last game of the year while being shutout playing a league worst Buffalo Sabres - this one's on him.

Outside of that - i don't disagree with your post. How good Crosby would look vs Howe (and others) would depend on how many of these awards he ends up winning, vs not. On the upper end of expectations he looks good with Howe, on the lower end, still behind, but closer.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
I don't have anyone from Orr-era or earlier on top10. That stupid goofy-looking, all canadian, somewhat hockeyish sport is different game and noten even era-adjusted orrs don't belong here.

I'm fine with 2 timelines in ranking starting with #99.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Hasek's dominance was during the regular season, so I personally wouldn't put him over a few other goaltenders who had lesser peaks but stellar playoff resumes (Roy, Plante, Sawchuk).

I wish the NHL had a boxing like pound-for-pound rating system, because I believe there are players from older eras that largely get forgotten when it comes to these lists.

I picked Roy, but I don't think it would be odd to hear an argument for Eddie Shore or Joe Malone.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Healthy Crosby wins the 11 and 13 Ross + hart/lindsay combo.
Healthy Crosby can win the same awards in 2012 - but you can't just assume so. He was a better player than Malkin at that point in time - but it's also possibly the best offensive season in the past 15 years, and it's unfair to Malkin to assume Crosby does better. Let's say 50/50 he wins some awards, as it likely it between him and Malkin that year.
07-08 He'd have had a chance at the Ross. Let's say a 30% chance, to give respect to Ovi's great season.

2015 - he was healthy. Every player misses a few games here and there - this shouldn't count. Imo he lost this one fair and square, and did so on the last game of the year while being shutout playing a league worst Buffalo Sabres - this one's on him.

Outside of that - i don't disagree with your post. How good Crosby would look vs Howe (and others) would depend on how many of these awards he ends up winning, vs not. On the upper end of expectations he looks good with Howe, on the lower end, still behind, but closer.

He'd still be behind Howe in top 10 finishes, AST's, Ross' and Harts.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I cannot believe that Bobby Hull isn't an option. He was voted number five by the 32 participants of Hockey History's "Top 120" list.

Edit. it was pointed out that he was actually the first on the list.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He'd still be behind Howe in top 10 finishes, AST's, Ross' and Harts.

AST and top 10 finishes have to take into consideration that there is much more competition in today's league, than before. So I don't think it's fair to not adjust for # of teams/stars in league.

As to Ross and Harts - I think on the most optimistic of projections he ends up tied for Ross, 1 back for hart. Again - considering the somewhat stronger era and his strong playoff resume - It would be quite close. That's for the most optimistic of projections of course - the reality could have been quite a bit less, even with better health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad