Who's Out There To Steer The Devils Back To A Contender?

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I can predict the future with this particular cast. That's for sure. It's the oldest team in the entire league. And the real stinger is that they depend on many of these older players. If this model truly worked wouldn't you expect the devils to NOT BE THE OLDEST TEAM IN THE ENTIRE NHL? Expect diminishing returns as we move ahead into the schedule.

How can I argue with you if the premise of your argument is flawed. So far all I see from your argument is that the team is old therefore they can't win games.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes because they're old they'll automatically stink, I guess Jagr was really 30 last year with a doctored birth certificate since he couldn't have possibly played that well if he was actually 42...

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
How can I argue with you if the premise of your argument is flawed. I'll come back to this when there are rational minds contributing.

My premise is flawed? You have heard of the term "peak years" in the hockey lexicon? Hockey players are typically at their peak performance from years 24-26. From a probability standpoint, one is really pressing their luck by loading up their roster with players in the twilight of their careers. The odds point to a diminished output and in turn, less points in the standings.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
My premise is flawed? You have heard of the term "peak years" in the hockey lexicon? Hockey players are typically at their peak performance from years 24-26. From a probability standpoint, one is really pressing their luck by loading up their roster with players in the twilight of their careers. The odds point to a diminished output and in turn, less points in the standings.

Because fantasy numbers=wins? I'm not trying to pressing anything but you are taking shoddy evidence and drawing facts for things that haven't happened yet. What does the collective age of a team have to do with how well they work as a unit? If youth=winning, how come the Panthers and the Oilers are perennial bottom feeders? Find me a stat that says that there's a negative correlation in how well a team does in the standing in regards to their age.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There are certain old guys with whom I have issues, and I get wrankled when we sign more old guys, but old does not mean, not good.

The oldest guy of the bunch is our best player.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
There are certain old guys with whom I have issues, and I get wrankled when we sign more old guys, but old does not mean, not good.

The oldest guy of the bunch is our best player.

When you load up with many older players & expect premium minutes from them, then there is a concern. For example, would anyone object to having Niklas Kronwall on this team at age 33? I wouldn't.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
When you load up with many older players & expect premium minutes from them, then there is a concern. For example, would anyone object to having Niklas Kronwall on this team at age 33? I wouldn't.
Like I said, certain guys I have issues with, but others I do not. Jagr is our oldest player, yet our best player and he has not shown to wear down with extended minutes.

Would I like to have a dynamic first line that allowed Jagr to play more a 2nd line role? Sure, but how is that to be acquired? And does the presence of Jagr preclude us from doing that?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Like I said, certain guys I have issues with, but others I do not. Jagr is our oldest player, yet our best player and he has not shown to wear down with extended minutes.

Would I like to have a dynamic first line that allowed Jagr to play more a 2nd line role? Sure, but how is that to be acquired? And does the presence of Jagr preclude us from doing that?

I don't think the issue is Jagr as much as it is Elias, Zubrus, Clowe (physical state is much older than age), Havlat (same) & others. If you're a GM, you are setting yourself up for failure by depending on those type of players as opposed to using them as complimentary pieces. On a good team, practically none of those guys would be getting the minutes they get here. No way in hell.

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
Im at the point "whoever, i dont care anymore" but kowalsky maybe. Then all in on babcock if kowalsky ****s up really bad.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida

I was actually very annoyed at Lemaire during that time, for whatever reason he was absolutely obsessed with changing the forward lines after EVERY SINGLE GAME. Nobody had a chance to build chemistry because the lines were literally coughed up out of a lottery ball machine every third shift, it was infuriating.

Then he came back after Johnny Mac **** the bed and stopped with all the line scrambling - the team went on a complete tear of the NHL and everyone fell in love with Lemaire again.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think the issue is Jagr as much as it is Elias, Zubrus, Clowe (physical state is much older than age), Havlat (same) & others. If you're a GM, you are setting yourself up for failure by depending on those type of players as opposed to using them as complimentary pieces. On a good team, practically none of those guys would be getting the minutes they get here. No way in hell.

I don't know if any of those guys play too many minutes per se. I just think that there are just so many older/slower guys is what makes it an issue. And Ryder is another guy who could fit in that group.

We have heard the "we need the vet presence" in regards to Sal on the backline, but how bout "some young exuberance" amongst our fwd's? Same with speed compared to "heart/intangibles"? Is such a balance not needed there?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I don't know if any of those guys play too many minutes per se. I just think that there are just so many older/slower guys is what makes it an issue. And Ryder is another guy who could fit in that group.

We have heard the "we need the vet presence" in regards to Sal on the backline, but how bout "some young exuberance" amongst our fwd's? Same with speed compared to "heart/intangibles"? Is such a balance not needed there?

bingo.....watch the forwards (for the most part) break out up the ice and attack with possession. its like watching a person try to run thru marsh mud.

GhostofKenKlee

Sometimes the answer is within. I think JohnnyMads at some point gets a call.

Is DeBoer up this season? I think Babcock and he would get serious looks by the Leafs and the Red Wings opening is a good one.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
bingo.....watch the forwards (for the most part) break out up the ice and attack with possession. its like watching a person try to run thru marsh mud.

MarshMudMadness.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sometimes the answer is within. I think JohnnyMads at some point gets a call.

Is DeBoer up this season? I think Babcock and he would get serious looks by the Leafs and the Red Wings opening is a good one.

It didn't work out with MacLean. I don't want Madden as a head coach.

I'm not sure if DeBoer would get another job. Apparently the Leafs were interested in him last year. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was interested in him, since he does appear to be the most overrate head coach in hockey.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

But when they do actually get in the offensive zone they are hard to take the puck off of!

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I was actually very annoyed at Lemaire during that time, for whatever reason he was absolutely obsessed with changing the forward lines after EVERY SINGLE GAME. Nobody had a chance to build chemistry because the lines were literally coughed up out of a lottery ball machine every third shift, it was infuriating.

Then he came back after Johnny Mac **** the bed and stopped with all the line scrambling - the team went on a complete tear of the NHL and everyone fell in love with Lemaire again.

The lines were certainly changed more frequently than I would have liked as well, however that was not the reason the team wound up spiraling downhill and Lemaire didn't even start swapping the lines around as frequently until we starting playing bad before the olympics

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The first half of the 2009-10 season the Devils had 30 something wins...it was the best 1st half in team history...contrast that with the first half of the very next season. That roller coaster in just one year was the most difficult thing I ever had to endure as a Devil fan.

Who plays on the 4th line, slow forwards, bubble team, Salvador.... not so much.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The first half of the 2009-10 season the Devils had 30 something wins...it was the best 1st half in team history...contrast that with the first half of the very next season. That roller coaster in just one year was the most difficult thing I ever had to endure as a Devil fan.

Who plays on the 4th line, slow forwards, bubble team, Salvador.... not so much.

So because that swing from good to bad was so terrible that makes the current flaws in this squad acceptable?

Last edited:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Amazing to think we had that start with our fourth line consisting of guys like Rod Pelley, Vlad Zharkov, Illka Pikkarainen, and Andrew Peters

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I would easily take Zharkov back as a fourth liner on this team. He couldn't score, but I liked the rest of his game.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I would easily take Zharkov back as a fourth liner on this team. He couldn't score, but I liked the rest of his game.

He was solid defensively, but yea the whole scoring thing didn't help at all

I can die and say I saw him score live and then give an interview that I understood zero of :laugh:

edit: and I wish we still had Christine Simpson, she was great

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006

i was a big fan as well. and lemaire also loved him, i know that for a fact. i remember when they put him with elias and rolston for a while there and he did some really good things. didnt bury, but picked up a chunk of helpers.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
the only forwards under 30 and Zajac(29), Brunner(28) and Henrique(24)

that's pretty terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad