Who's Out There To Steer The Devils Back To A Contender?

devilsrock

Sep 14, 2005
Great Neck, NY
Nothing, absolutely nothing will change until Lou is gone. In my opinion he had one of the worst summers ever. Pure laziness on his part. He clipped all the low hanging fruit with extensions to guys that weren't going anywhere with a year left and paid them huge amounts of money they didn't deserve and everyone on here praised what a great job he did. This is his mess. No one is coming in here and winning with this roster.

Are you suggesting that it was a bad idea to extend green and
Schneider? Maybe it was a bad idea to sign cammalleri? This is just absured.
Lou has done all that he can to make this team a contender in the off season.
It's not his fault that Cory and Green are off to a slow start.

devilsrock

Sep 14, 2005
Great Neck, NY
I'm getting on him for not making the tough decisions. or for being unable to. Greene was the best of a bad bunch. Never was a 5mil per Dman. I don't care what the advanced super stats say. To this day Cory has yet to prove he deserves anything that he got, including the top spot. But who put us in that spot by giving up a #1 and then patting himself on the back. Have to be honest, this board for the most is unrealistic and saying that kindly so I don't get banned again. :)

I have to admit I was a little upset when the trade first happened because I really wanted Nichushkin.
At the time I thought Kovalchuck was here to stay and would mentor the kid and Marty still had a few good years left.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm getting on him for not making the tough decisions. or for being unable to. Greene was the best of a bad bunch. Never was a 5mil per Dman. I don't care what the advanced super stats say. To this day Cory has yet to prove he deserves anything that he got, including the top spot. But who put us in that spot by giving up a #1 and then patting himself on the back. Have to be honest, this board for the most is unrealistic and saying that kindly so I don't get banned again. :)
Greene's contract is super solid for the dev's no issue.

And Schneid's had to be signed. You can question the trade, but once it happened resigning him was a must. And doing both a year early and helping squelch the anxiety that goes with players who are soon to be UFA's is much appreciated.

But both guys need to play better. And I'm expecting that they will.

NHL Fanatik*

Unless a coach appears with two young stud forwards - i dont see how a new coach makes us a contender. Now, would a new coach help this team? Id say so yeah, but this team isn't a contender with a new coach.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yep, Lou locked up our best defenseman, our starting goalie, and signed the guy who leads the team in goals. What a mess.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
When the team manages to draft two forwards that can actually be a core- that's when the team will turn around. Defense drafting has been good, but at forward it's been downright atrocious.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
Any chance Lou is waiting for someone like Carlyle, Nolan (tho I doubt he'd get axed since everyone knew they'd be awful), or Tippett to get fired before pulling the trigger on PBD?

If that's not an option (agreed it'd be a slim one), what about an assistant like John Stevens from LA? He knows the teams in the division and has HC experience - unlike our ACs

I was just wanting to discuss some possibilities vs whether or not PBD is/is not gonna get the boot.

Thanks

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Any chance Lou is waiting for someone like Carlyle, Nolan (tho I doubt he'd get axed since everyone knew they'd be awful), or Tippett to get fired before pulling the trigger on PBD?

If that's not an option (agreed it'd be a slim one), what about an assistant like John Stevens from LA? He knows the teams in the division and has HC experience - unlike our ACs

I was just wanting to discuss some possibilities vs whether or not PBD is/is not gonna get the boot.

Thanks

If Tippett gets fired Lou better have him on speed dial.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Thanks

Carlyle's such an anti-Lou coach (constantly getting outshot and with no-defense systems) I doubt that's the case with him. Nolan's last job is Buffalo, took him long enough to get back in, he won't get another job after this. Tippett, would Arizona really be dumb enough to fire him this early in the season? When you're rebuilding like the Yotes are might as well not pay someone else to coach during the season anyway. I could definitely see him as a possibility if he was though.

Assistants don't usually get jobs on other teams during the season.

If teams swap players, why wont they swap coaches?

Who would we get for Pete, Carlyle? :laugh:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Randy Carlyle is everything that is wrong with Pete without the decent 5v5 system. I can't think of a worse coach for this team

GhostofKenKlee

Lemaire consulting Guy Boucher. With that being said, Pete is going to stay.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
When the team manages to draft two forwards that can actually be a core- that's when the team will turn around. Defense drafting has been good, but at forward it's been downright atrocious.

Remember those days when had a young Elias, Sykora, Gomez, Parise, etc coming into the league? It feels like Parise since we've had a real stand out forward come into the league he was drafted a decade ago. It certainly explains our age issues up front.

Even Brian Gionta turned out to be far more for a little while than anything of recent.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Yep, Lou locked up our best defenseman, our starting goalie, and signed the guy who leads the team in goals. What a mess.

Haha great post

This exactly, Boucher is decent but wont be a stud. Matteau IMO was a waste of a 1st round pick IMO

Torts FTW?

Thanks!!!!

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Heard the story from him that when he threw that bench, he also threw out his back since that bench was so damn heavy, according to him. :laugh:

What *is* Ftorek doing these days anyway? :huh:

Robbie only weighs 155 lbs

Ftorek is currently an assistant coach with the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
here's my big thing......thinking about it today, im not sure how over the next couple years the devils get any better. last thing i want to see lou do is keep wasting money in free agency and channeling rangers of the early 2000's/late 1990's mode. no real good forward prospects ready, so unless he swings a big trade for some offense, its gonna be the same slugs. defense is fine, but how can the team speed improve?

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Trottier! The HF poster or the ex-Ranger coach - doesn't matter. Entertainment value would be sky-high either way. Truly amazing that the Rangers ever hired Bryan. Anyone comparing the Devils to the late 90s - early 2000 Rangers clearly forgot / don't actually know those Ranger teams.

Btw - to whoever was complaining about it being 10 years since we had a top end forward prospect, I'd like to introduce you to Adam Henrique. Nice guy. Third in the Calder voting just three seasons ago. Led the team in goals last year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad