Who's Out There To Steer The Devils Back To A Contender?

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
I (like most of you) feel that it won't be long that Deboer will be "finally" released of his position as coach.

However, who is out there to bring in & steer the ship back to where it once was years ago? And I do mean...years ago. Not 2012...when Kovy & Parise got the team there, not Petey D.!

Unfortunately, I cannot think of who's even available for us that is a quality Head Coach.

Thoughts?

RJK

Feb 25, 2010
NC
blysma. has a cup, olympic team coach. has coached some of the best(young) players in the world to their highest potential.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Please no...Disco Dan is one of the few people that makes Pete look like a genius.

That's the main issue with replacing Pete - there really isn't a slew of candidates with a decent track record out there. And anyone that mentions Tortorella should have tomatoes thrown at them, that's never happening for a number of reasons.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Please no...Disco Dan is one of the few people that makes Pete look like a genius.

That's the main issue with replacing Pete - there really isn't a slew of candidates with a decent track record out there. And anyone that mentions Tortorella should have tomatoes thrown at them, that's never happening for a number of reasons.

Ya I just can't get on board with disco dan. I could coach that team to the playoffs every year.

Fact is they have underachieved for years. Him here. God it would be worse.

I think currently the best option is what we have right now. Maybe that changes in the offseason but no one out there that will do a better job IMO

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Ya I just can't get on board with disco dan. I could coach that team to the playoffs every year.

Fact is they have underachieved for years. Him here. God it would be worse.

I think currently the best option is what we have right now. Maybe that changes in the offseason but no one out there that will do a better job IMO

Promote Dave Barr, have him run the same system but without the dumbass decisions. Worst case scenario we'd be have similar results but at least we'd know that the coaching is not to blame and the young guys would be getting crucial game experience; best case scenario we see better on ice results.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Promote Dave Barr, have him run the same system but without the dumbass decisions. Worst case scenario we'd be have similar results but at least we'd know that the coaching is not to blame and the young guys would be getting crucial game experience; best case scenario we see better on ice results.

If Pete does get fired during the season this is what will happen. Everyone should be aware of it as they call for Pete's head.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
No coach can make this team a contender with the current roster. Give me a break with the Deboer talk, he is a good coach. Our roster has very little high end offense, a bunch of 2nd/3rd liners aint gonna be a contending team.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

People on this board would still blame the coach.

goawaygary*

Well it wont be Lou because he's 72.

Ron Wilson maybe?

Terry Murray?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lou will never touch Torts (and he shouldn't. Keep that clown away from this team)

Disco Dan has been discussed.

Lou won't do it.

I highly doubt Lemaire does it.

If you fire Pete it pretty much is going to be Barr. Who else is there right now?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
No coach can make this team a contender with the current roster. Give me a break with the Deboer talk, he is a good coach. Our roster has very little high end offense, a bunch of 2nd/3rd liners aint gonna be a contending team.

Who the heck is talking about this team being a potential contender? Our lack of high end offensive talent has managed to score more than 3 GF per game so far. The issue with Pete is that theres always some element of the teams play that comes across as a glaring weakness and horrendous roster management, which have been trends now for 3 years and which have undoubtedly cost this team points. I have gotten to the point now that I believe this team cannot take the next step with the youth movement on D with this coach at the helm.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Who the heck is talking about this team being a potential contender? Our lack of high end offensive talent has managed to score more than 3 GF per game so far. The issue with Pete is that theres always some element of the teams play that comes across as a glaring weakness and horrendous roster management, which have been trends now for 3 years and which have undoubtedly cost this team points. I have gotten to the point now that I believe this team cannot take the next step with the youth movement on D with this coach at the helm.

On what basis would you say the young D can go forward with Pete? Only one kid is underperforming out of 4. Pete isn't holding Sevetson or Merrill back and Gely is improving.

Lars is the only outlier here.

David Conte

Oct 6, 2014
Would never want disco Dan, he can't even breed an appropriate amount of success with a stacked penguins team.

Torts shouldn't even be considered an option, although his snarl could prove more useful than the attitude that has been taken with blown leads.

Only other person I can think of who hasn't been mentioned is Oates, and it's almost a guarantee that he wouldn't bring anymore success than PDB has. Not that that's saying much...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Would never want disco Dan, he can't even breed an appropriate amount of success with a stacked penguins team.

Torts shouldn't even be considered an option, although his snarl could prove more useful than the attitude that has been taken with blown leads.

Only other person I can think of who hasn't been mentioned is Oates, and it's almost a guarantee that he wouldn't bring anymore success than PDB has. Not that that's saying much...

I really like Oates but I didn't see anything from his run last year to show he should be anything more then an assistant.

Nothing wrong with that. Larry wasn't a great head coach either but is an amazing assistant.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I think the idea of firing DeBoer after a 3-2-1 start is laughable and, quite frankly, stupid. He has a great system that obviously works for this team and the guys enjoy playing for him - he's not going anywhere.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I rather suck like **** this year, get McDavid and proceed to be in the playoffs for the next 15 year years.

LETS GET MARI...ERRR CONOR GUYS!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The question I have for those that don't like Pete's system, what system would work with this personnel? We don't have the speed or skill to play a more open game. We pretty much have to grind it out. Unless people think going back to the trap is a good idea?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad