Who's Out There To Steer The Devils Back To A Contender?

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
His system works great for this team and masks a lot of its deficiencies. You also don't fire head coaches after a 3-2-1 start with a new look team.

His system works when has three of the top 20 wingers in the world and a fluke season from Clarkson. Besides for keeping them in games, I'm not sure what you've seen over these past two and a half years to make you think we would be losing some great tactician if he was fired.

Just over the last 24 hours, Ryan Clowe and Dainius Zubrus on the ice in a 4 on 4, Stephen Gionta on the ice in the final minute, Marek Zidlicky taking Larsson's minutes, turns the puck over that leads to a goal and then doesn't get benched for that, another multi goal lead blown and Tuomo Ruutu who is a significantly better hockey player than Jordin Tootoo, gets benched because apparently he hasn't been good enough. This is all in a day's work for Pete.

At what point do you say its just not working anymore? Its the same crap over and over again for three years.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
It's not Pete's system's fault that we are losing atm. Cory lets in 1-2 softies each game, we allow 2 ppg every game, either due to Cory or individual l2p (sal, gionta). If Jagr, Elias, Henrique, Ryder started to produce and play on their level, we'd have no issues what so ever.

Lou needs to give Pete a better man in the role we ONLY have Salvador now.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
pete is not the problem. as long as we don't start like we did last year (which we didn't) there shouldn't even BE a problem in October.

a Xanax banner ad on this site would do wonders for all parties

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pete plays favorites like most coaches but his in game decisions are mostly, awful.

Blown leads are his trademark.

In OT, its common sense to send out your better skaters.

Not your slowest forwards as he did last night

Poor coaching.

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
pete is not the problem. as long as we don't start like we did last year (which we didn't) there shouldn't even BE a problem in October.

a Xanax banner ad on this site would do wonders for all parties

Pete is the 80% of the problem. He is the one who controls who gets to play & who is on the ice to play at certain times. Thus far, his decisions continue to make little sense when in tight situations.

He seems to have endless brain farts throughout games & puts players on the ice who ALL OF US coach coaches know shouldn't even be on the ice. Last night was the greatest example of it in OT. In addition, benching Larsson for almost the entire 3rd period, while Bryce "The Concrete Lawn Jockey" Salvador gets ice time. As fans, we got to watch the Rangers exploit his old age & lack of leadership to tie up the game, as well as win it OT.

It comes to a point where someone not wearing rose colored glasses has to point out the obvious & say, Sal needs to ride the pine or get sent down to Albany. Clowe needs to be on the 4th line with Zubie & Tootoo. Gionta needs to be back in Albany, etc., etc., etc. Lou also needs to speak with Elias & find out what is going through his mind as he seems uninterested at just 6 games in.

Gees, I could go on & on. And although this was only the 6th game in, the pattern from the past two season has reared its ugly head & it looks like we're going to be a guesstimated, 3-5-2 for the first 10 games.

And I'll be damned to shell out $500+ for my family & I to attend a game of lackluster performance!

The roster isn't great, but it isn't bad. It looks like (to me) the Devils are tired of Deboer's way of play.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The question I have for those that don't like Pete's system, what system would work with this personnel? We don't have the speed or skill to play a more open game. We pretty much have to grind it out. Unless people think going back to the trap is a good idea?

Pete system works fine. We would be much better though without Pete running Pete's system

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
It's not Pete's system's fault that we are losing atm. Cory lets in 1-2 softies each game, we allow 2 ppg every game, either due to Cory or individual l2p (sal, gionta). If Jagr, Elias, Henrique, Ryder started to produce and play on their level, we'd have no issues what so ever.

Lou needs to give Pete a better man in the role we ONLY have Salvador now.

Isn't this team second in goal scoring? Last year it was opposite. :laugh:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
You guys as a group should approach the Devils

A joint head coaching venture

We'd be playing at home in Seattle within a week

A new HC isn't going to fix much

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Firing the coach will accomplish nothing. We outplayed the Rangers last night, it's not Pete's fault we lost. There are some glaring issues so far, none of which Pete can fix.

1. Lack of overall speed and skill up front (aka we're old as ****). Cammy and Havlat have been nice additions, but there's not much after that. Guys like Zubrus, Clowe, Ruutu, and Tootoo are redundant. Slow grinders that don't create any threat offensively. Doesn't help that Elias looks terrible.

2. Zidlicky and Salvador. They get burned every single period. I can't keep track of how many 2-on-1's they've given up. You could put this on Pete for not scratching one or both, but the bottom line is that you can't honestly believe he's going to play 4 rookie/young defenseman on the same night.

3. Schneider hasn't lived up to expectations. The whole offseason, all I heard was how the Devils would automatically be a better team with Cory starting 60-70 games. He's given up some soft goals and he's just been an average starter so far. Pete can't control that.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
So for arguments sake, lets say the team can be fixed by replacing the head coach (the debate on whether or not Lou should go will always be until the day he's gone) - in looking for a new HC, I'd think we'd have to go with a retread since the team is made up of veterans. I can't see a first yr coach coming in - minus one of our assistants - and being able to get buy in. I'm sure this is a very naïve and most likely stupid way of thinking on my part. Just wondering.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Correct. Let's say Pete is replaced. How much would output theoretically increase with our core roster? Probably not much in my estimation.

There are things that a new coach could fix. Like playing Stephen Gionta and Bryce Salvador. Little decisions like that, sure.

But I think this organization needs a shove into 2014.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
His system works when has three of the top 20 wingers in the world and a fluke season from Clarkson. Besides for keeping them in games, I'm not sure what you've seen over these past two and a half years to make you think we would be losing some great tactician if he was fired.

Just over the last 24 hours, Ryan Clowe and Dainius Zubrus on the ice in a 4 on 4, Stephen Gionta on the ice in the final minute, Marek Zidlicky taking Larsson's minutes, turns the puck over that leads to a goal and then doesn't get benched for that, another multi goal lead blown and Tuomo Ruutu who is a significantly better hockey player than Jordin Tootoo, gets benched because apparently he hasn't been good enough. This is all in a day's work for Pete.

At what point do you say its just not working anymore? Its the same crap over and over again for three years.

We are 5 games into the season and the team is playing well enough to score a lot of goals and be competitive with anyone in the NHL. Clearly they're only going to get better as the season goes on.

Why would you derail all that due to a few personnel decisions? Firing Pete won't magically make this team a contender.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
We are 5 games into the season and the team is playing well enough to score a lot of goals and be competitive with anyone in the NHL. Clearly they're only going to get better as the season goes on.

Why would you derail all that due to a few personnel decisions? Firing Pete won't magically make this team a contender.

Pete's not going anywhere. Next. More time should be spent on the discussing the goaltending. Spent a ton of money on a guy that has never been a #1 never played a full load and has struggled to say the least six games in. I really thought Cory would come out of the blocks and be a wall, then drop off. The fact that he's been this bad this early is very concerning. If he doesn't play a lot better this team won't be close to a spot.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Pete's not going anywhere. Next. More time should be spent on the discussing the goaltending. Spent a ton of money on a guy that has never been a #1 never played a full load and has struggled to say the least six games in. I really thought Cory would come out of the blocks and be a wall, then drop off. The fact that he's been this bad this early is very concerning. If he doesn't play a lot better this team won't be close to a spot.

I think you were expecting too much. A goaltender is not going to singlehandedly overcome this team's deficiencies.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Firing the coach will accomplish nothing. We outplayed the Rangers last night, it's not Pete's fault we lost. There are some glaring issues so far, none of which Pete can fix.

1. Lack of overall speed and skill up front (aka we're old as ****). Cammy and Havlat have been nice additions, but there's not much after that. Guys like Zubrus, Clowe, Ruutu, and Tootoo are redundant. Slow grinders that don't create any threat offensively. Doesn't help that Elias looks terrible.

2. Zidlicky and Salvador. They get burned every single period. I can't keep track of how many 2-on-1's they've given up. You could put this on Pete for not scratching one or both, but the bottom line is that you can't honestly believe he's going to play 4 rookie/young defenseman on the same night.

3. Schneider hasn't lived up to expectations. The whole offseason, all I heard was how the Devils would automatically be a better team with Cory starting 60-70 games. He's given up some soft goals and he's just been an average starter so far. Pete can't control that.

I agree with you for the most part. The question of this thread is "Who's Out There To Steer The Devils Back To A Contender?" which is the wrong question to ask because the Devils are not going to be a contender for the Cup with this roster.

1. I wouldn't lump Tootoo into that group with Zubrus, Clowe and Ruutu either. All three of those guys are slow but have some good offensive skill. Tootoo isn't slow but he's a total bull in a china shop type of guy. You aren't going to get any offense out of him as opposed to the other three.

2. I agree, but Salvador is the only stay at home guy we have and Zidlicky is Zidlicky. He's a risk/reward type of guy and during his overall stay here he's had a positive impact.

3. I also agree, but it's still early and there weren't too many goals you could blame him for. Maybe you could ask him to make one of those stops but he also bailed out a few times last game.

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
Regardless of what coach or playing style the Devils have, they will forever be cannonized as a tight checking defensive team who do nothing but play the trap and wait for turnovers.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Regardless of what coach or playing style the Devils have, they will forever be cannonized as a tight checking defensive team who do nothing but play the trap and wait for turnovers.

That's another reason why they need a new direction. Maybe we would start getting some respect league wide and possibly high level free agents would be willing to relocate here. Stars are attracted to playing freedom and scoring goals.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
I think you were expecting too much. A goaltender is not going to singlehandedly overcome this team's deficiencies.

Honestly, you're probably right. I expected him to come out and for at least the first ten games or so ease the fears a very small group of us on here had about giving him the big contract. To see him playing this poorly right out of the gate after getting his #1 role and long term deal is very concerning. Again, I thought we'd get the best Cory has early in the season.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Cory has given up 4 or more goals in 5 of his 6 starts (Devils allowed 6 goals 2/6 games, WTF!). Not going to end up with a good record if you need to score 5+ every game to win.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Cory has given up 4 or more goals in 5 of his 6 starts (Devils allowed 6 goals 2/6 games, WTF!). Not going to end up with a good record if you need to score 5+ every game to win.

Washington he laid an egg but outside of that he hasn't been too bad. The last was mostly power play goals and poor coverage. This has been said ad nauseum but the key to them giving up less goals is taking less penalties (1+1=2; sky is blue level of obviousness).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

He's not going anywhere right now, and it's not a reasonable thought at 3-2-1 but if this team is still fumbling around in Feb, the thought becomes much more reasonable.

If the team does not make the playoffs this year, I think he's gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad