Who's going to be the next coach for the Devils?

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I had them finishing last.

Didn't like their coaching, goaltending, blueline depth, and that mix up front. There's obviously talent there but I saw what happens 1st hand when a team throws a bunch of big new pieces into a lineup. St. Louis did the same thing last season and had to win the lottery with Berube and Binnginton to turn things around. I also thought the pieces they brought in complemented their existing core a bit better than what I see in New Jersey. Again there's talent but New Jersey's lineup seems like it was just randomly thrown together. Subban did not look good at all last season; Simmonds has been in decline for years now; Hall is coming off a serious injury; I thought and still believe Hughes will struggle his 1st year - showed obvious signs of being physically outmatched at worlds over the summer and there is more room on the international sheets of ice; I like Gusev but I didn't really see him as a good fit in their top 6.

Its still early and somebody will probably make me eat my words later but I am not shocked by the slow start.

Last edited:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I gotta say .. im a bit surprised. I didnt think the Devils would be this bad. They have some good talent but look so disjointed.

Its still early but there is cause for concern. Which, again, surprises me a bit.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Talent? Their roster is bottom 5 in the entire league. I never understood why 80 % of the people in this forum put them as sure playoff team in their predictions.

I get why people who don't pay that much attention to the Devils thought that. Two recent #1 picks , a recent league MVP , a recent Norris winner who was also a nominee 2 years ago . Can make you overlook some very obvious flaws. Not to mention Subban and Hall aren't exactly in coming off years where both had been any good and the #1 picks are not McDavid or Matthews level.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Hynes is actually their longest-tenured coach in history which always surprises me (I'm 95% sure anyway.) Although I guess it's not really surprising when they had Lou running things most of the time. Didn't he fire Ftorek like 5 minutes before the 2000 playoffs began?

IMO that team just doesn't have as much talent as people are saying.

lemaire

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I doubt we’ll see a change this early, but I’ll play along and state that Kirk Muller would make a lot of sense given his history with the organization.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I doubt we’ll see a change this early, but I’ll play along and state that Kirk Muller would make a lot of sense given his history with the organization.

We’d be happy to give him & his dreadful PP to NJ. Likeable guy, but should have lost his job 2 seasons ago.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Couple things about the Devils:

I have been very skeptical and frankly untrustworthy of the ownership group. I've always said that I hope to be proven wrong... this summer and the commitment they made to pump cash into player salaries goes a long way towards that. I still have my concerns, but I was not sure they would ever do that and it seems I may have undersold them. With that said, after putting all of that equity into this team, they can't be satisfied with what they are seeing. They are smart guys, obviously, and while 4 games is not much in the big scheme, you have to wonder if what they are seeing feels to them like a good team having a tough time getting off the blocks or a team that just has fundamental flaws, and maybe significant ones. Now that they are engaged in the hockey team you have to wonder how that impacts this.

Also, The Devils have won TWO lotteries in the last 3 years as we all know. Neither of those wins they were the favorites. I think in 17 they had 6th best lotto odds and last year 3rd. Point being, thats a LOT of luck, and its scary to think where they would be right now without them. I like Shero and think hes done a good job but its fair to speculate where would this team be in Year 6 of this GM/Coach tandem without those two wins. Other 1st Rd picks in that time include Zacha and McLeod - two colossal disappointments (tough to watch provorov hammer one home Wed night w Zacha looking on from the press box).

As it relates to Hynes and Shero, what do we think would be the current standing of this team if they had drafted in their proper spots? In '17 they would have had Hesikanen sitting there for them, last year too soon to tell.

But the overall point is - What is the quality of the plan? As bad as things look right now, how much worse would they look without the incredible injection of lottery luck?

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
I don't really understand why people thought the Devils would improve that much. Simmonds and Subban both sucked last season but somehow all that was ignored and both hailed as great aquisitions . Not to mention even if Subban was actually still an elite player. The rest of the defense is really not good.

They also brought in Nikita Gusev and another 1st overall pick in Hughes. Definitely reason for optimism.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They also brought in Nikita Gusev and another 1st overall pick in Hughes. Definitely reason for optimism.

Yeah Gusev while good isn't more than a good top6 forward and Hughes is not a McDavid caliber prospect that can help a franchise right away . Hughes needs time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad