Who's all for a blockbuster trade ?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
If were gonna play a chip n chase crash/bang system we need big bodied wingers to make it work. Right now all we have is Clarkson, JVR (when he's in the mood) and Kulemin (when he's in the mood) in our top 6 the rest are soft/rush style players, I'd be all for bringing in a guy like Simmonds to round it out.

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
Everybody needs to chill and realize that injuries are our problem.

As much as everyone hates on bozak, he's decent with Phil and JVR. We'll be fine when they're back.

Asif16*

Whether its for a quality center or top D or whatever

It could be a big deal. But not blockbuster. Usually when its blockbuster, i think of some highly named people.

But i agree with Simmonds idea. For the defense....i want Coburn or Gleason.

As for centers.....tbh. Just wait for bozak and kadri to return.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
I know its a big pipe dream but I really really really want us to get our hands on Ryan Strome. I'd be willing to overpay for this kid. Can you Imagine having Strome, Kadri as top 6C?

Maybe something like:

Reimer + pick for Strome

or

Kulemin + 1st for Strome

JVR - Strome - Kessel
Clarkson - Kadri - Lupul
Raymond - Bozak - Bolland
McClement - Smithson - Orr/ McLaren

I think that is an extremely competitive forwards group. We have 6 capable centers.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
An elite Center would cost us Kessel plus. They don't grow on trees and teams don't give them up. Sure I'd love to have Toews, how do we get him? Kessel+Rielly+Leivo?

Lol it would take way more than that to get Toews. He's a top 5 center in the league. Kessel isn't even a top 5 winger.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think - you'd have to think this:

Bolland isn't coming back until next year (truthfully, playoffs or not, I'd rather have a healthy Bolland, then a crippled one). so he's off the books.

I would, at this point, swing for the fences and hope for the best. Trade Kadri Franson, & a Tender, and go hard out. Play Rielly, New Person, and sign a vet goaltender, and go for it.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I know its a big pipe dream but I really really really want us to get our hands on Ryan Strome. I'd be willing to overpay for this kid. Can you Imagine having Strome, Kadri as top 6C?

Maybe something like:

Reimer + pick for Strome

or

Kulemin + 1st for Strome

JVR - Strome - Kessel
Clarkson - Kadri - Lupul

I think that is an extremely competitive forwards group. We have 6 capable centers.

Is this a joke? Strome is currently in the AHL. You think we'd trade for him to make him our 1c? :help:

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
How the heck did Chicago draft all those centers while being at the top?

Teams like LA and Chicago are not afraid to take a stab at players who put up #s in juniors. A lot of times teams get caught up in projecting players as certain types in the NHL that they lose sight of the fact that they haven't yet succeeded in the juniors ranks. Players like Vey, Toffoli, Pirri were all excellent producers in the junior ranks but they never got the credit at the draft because their game wasn't projected to translate well into the NHL.

Leafs are too conservative with their drafting. They need to grow a pair and hit homeruns with the sexy picks. Players like Kucherov, Saad, Jurco, Rattie, Gibson, Toffolli, Jarnkrok, Frk, etc. are the boom or bust prospects with one common factor. That factor is immense skill. They might be undersized or slow but they can shoot and pass with the best of them. We have big prospects who are fairly decent skaters but have hands of stone. We're drafting safe picks and even the safe picks are turning into ****.

Aside from drafting, we have no luck developing our guys. For one reason or another our prospects never seem to flat out dominate any league. We just haven't had any luck with that game breaking prospect. Kadri was the closest we've had in years. Leivo is looking like potentially another but even he will probably end up being a 2nd liner in the future.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Teams like LA and Chicago are not afraid to take a stab at players who put up #s in juniors. A lot of times teams get caught up in projecting players as certain types in the NHL that they lose sight of the fact that they haven't yet succeeded in the juniors ranks. Players like Vey, Toffoli, Pirri were all excellent producers in the junior ranks but they never got the credit at the draft because their game wasn't projected to translate well into the NHL.

Leafs are too conservative with their drafting. They need to grow a pair and hit homeruns with the sexy picks. Players like Kucherov, Saad, Jurco, Rattie, Gibson, Toffolli, Jarnkrok, Frk, etc. are the boom or bust prospects with one common factor. That factor is immense skill. They might be undersized or slow but they can shoot and pass with the best of them. We have big prospects who are fairly decent skaters but have hands of stone. We're drafting safe picks and even the safe picks are turning into ****.

Aside from drafting, we have no luck developing our guys. For one reason or another our prospects never seem to flat out dominate any league. We just haven't had any luck with that game breaking prospect. Kadri was the closest we've had in years. Leivo is looking like potentially another but even he will probably end up being a 2nd liner in the future.

Detroit did mess up though.

They signed scrubs like Tootoo and now are trying to dump them to bring up their skilled players.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
As long as we can keep.. Kadri, Phaneuf, Kessel, JVR, Rielly, JMac, Reimer, Bernier and JGards.

Get rid of the rest for all I care.

I guess you voted no then.

You're not getting a top quality C or D for scraps.

And a trade where we give Franson+Kulemin+pick wouldn't really be a "blockbuster"

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Maybe something like:

Reimer + pick for Strome

or

Kulemin + 1st for Strome

JVR - Strome - Kessel
Clarkson - Kadri - Lupul

Islanders laugh at those 2 proposals. They're not going to trade Strome unless they get an offer they can't refuse

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Detroit did mess up though.

They signed scrubs like Tootoo and now are trying to dump them to bring up their skilled players.

I'd rather worry about dumping players to give my teams good prospects a shot rather than not have any good prospects at all. Look at us now. Our top 3 centers are gone, we have JVR as #1 center and our only call up is an AHL lifer who is 28 years old. And we won't have any young stud #1 C coming through the system for the foreseeable future. Our only hopeful center prospect is struggling in the Q (and yes I know defense is his game, but honestly if you're a first round pick in the Q, you should be tearing it up). Oh and Detroit has Mantha over 2+ ppg post draft year. It's comical to watch the Leafs **** up at the draft. Besides Leivo our cupboard of impact prospects is bare. There's no internal competition for spots on the team.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Blockbuster for elite C who helps immediately. [Trade D prospect, picks or wingers. A goalie if really the need be.]

Then trade Bozak at deadline to get some of the return back [or an average C prospect]. Boom.

Elite C, Kadri, Bolland, McClement.. cup winning C depth.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
a #1 center unlikely, but a quality center yes
How about a good 2 way center with size to complement kadri - who can always move to wing if bolland returns
I'm not sold on Couturier but someone of that ilk

I think in a few yrs Kadri will be #1

The key trading piece:
Gardiner ?
Reimer ? (risky)

A blockbuster could mean several involved not necessarily superstars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad