Who's all for a blockbuster trade ?

Mar 26, 2010
No

Leafs aren't in need of a shake up right now.

They're not? They get out competed everygame, they get outshot by a 2-1/3-1 ratio most nights, they're close to dead last for e/s goals for etc and you think this team is fine? No don't let their 11-6-1 record fool you, there is a lot of wrong with this team that needs fixed.
Most accurate post I have read all night. The Leafs are in big trouble.

Tibor

May 26, 2010
Toronto
No

They're not? They get out competed everygame, they get outshot by a 2-1/3-1 ratio most nights, they're close to dead last for e/s goals for etc and you think this team is fine? No don't let their 11-6-1 record fool you, there is a lot of wrong with this team that needs fixed.

Hello,

I agree that they have lots of problems with their even strength play but they've countered that with strong special teams and good goaltending.

The Leafs have a good (not great) team on paper aside from recent injuries. I don't think a shakeup, making a trade just to make a trade would improve the team. I think the Leafs problems that you mention have a much better chance of being fixed by coaching tactics, hard work, and discipline.

I'd be patient and let this team play at least to the winter classic with the current roster. Plus it takes two teams to make a trade and generally teams aren't as willing to make major moves until closer to the trade deadline. Also the Leafs have little cap room. That being said, I'd be quite happy if Nonis made a trade weighted in the Leafs favour. I just don't think it's realistic and I'd be surprised if it happened.

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
the sky is not falling. kadri will be back soon enough and bozak shortly there after. its safe to assume once those two get back our top 2 lines with get going again and generating scoring chances will no longer be a problem. The D on the other hand needs some help (especially when compounded by the fact we're missing 2 defensively oriented centre men) but we knew going into this season that our D is sorrounded by ? marks in Gardiner, Rielly, Franson, Ranger, and even Fraser so it will be a matter of buying into RC's system as the season progresses. I have faith in this core, let them finish the season without making any knee jerk trades and in my eyes if they make the playoffs after 82 games and get past the first round, it'll show progression.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
I take back my earlier post - if Nonis gets an offer that's in our favour then by all means go for it! If not there's still plenty of hockey left to be played. Things can change. Keep praying!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
First option trade pieces.

Franson, Clarkson, Bozak, Liles, Kules(sadly), Gardiner(sadly) -by sadly I mean resist at all costs unless you absolutely need to use them to get a big piece.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
teams have learned how to play us now

the teams tht beat us don't fight us they hit us.

We have great fighters no hitters.

Phaneuf fraser on D are the only ones hitting
franson is playing terrible and the rest are soft

clarkson kuilemin orr ashton(when he plays) are the only ones hitting on forward

lupul kessel raymond jvr not big on hittiing

now i see we are playing the dump and chase without anyone to knock the dman off the puck so we dump the puck in and turn it over and the other team comes out of thier end pretty easily.

we have no one except kessel that can carry the puck into the oppositions end without losing control and now other teams know that and if you watch they are double teaming him when he comes over the blue line and they are nullifying his playmaking.

the key to beating us is dont fight and wait until we dump the puck in so you can get control of it.

the only reason we have a decent record is we have top five goaltending this year.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
First option trade pieces.

Franson, Clarkson, Bozak, Liles, Kules(sadly), Gardiner(sadly) -by sadly I mean resist at all costs unless you absolutely need to use them to get a big piece.

Not to knock on gardiner but here is what i see of him

he has elite skating skill and can go from end to end in a flash, but if you notice when he gets into the oppositons end he doesnt really know what to to with the puck,.

How many times do you see him pick up the puck in his d zone ,put on that burst of speed into the O zone, only to make a poor pass or just dump the puck in the corner.
I think he has a million dollar pair of legs but he doesnt have the hockley IQ to match.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I'd like a trade but honestly I'm afraid that if there is a big trade that what we may give up might be more than we should

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
oh i remember all this trading talk crap a few years ago

annoying

nothing wrong with the team, just top two centers MISSING LOL
like when Crosby and Malkin were out
but Pittsburgh did great i recall

Ya ,but they got what out of their combined 84 games, 107 points?

That softens the blow a little.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I know its a big pipe dream but I really really really want us to get our hands on Ryan Strome. I'd be willing to overpay for this kid. Can you Imagine having Strome, Kadri as top 6C?

Maybe something like:

Reimer + pick for Strome

"You'd be willing to overpay" to get him, then your offer is Riemer and a pick?

Riemer would even begin to scratch the surface of getting you a player of that calibre.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No

They also have the 5th best 5/5 goal against.

PP is solid in 7th place.

PK is solid in 10th place.

Goals for, meh 15th, so middle of the road.

GAGs is 10th

12th in points percentage.

I don't see what all the crying is about.

What did some of you folks think this team was going to be this year?

A juggernaut cup contender?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
How the heck did Chicago draft all those centers while being at the top?

Asset management. A team at the top, that "should" be gunning for the Cup year in and year out (i put quotations around should, because thats the general mindset around the league... But theres a reason why Chicago is so successful, and part of it involves bucking that trend) has had 45 draft picks over the past 5 drafts, while a rebuilding team like us have only had 34.

Chicago has a great prospect pool because they avoid losing valuable pieces for nothing via free agency. They traded away Versteeg, Brouwer, Byfgulien, Ladd, Bolland, Campbell, etc. for varying returns. Theyve recognized that they have certain core guys locked up that they can win with, as long as they give them a good supporting cast. They trade guys while they can, subtracting from that supporting cast, but it also ensures that younger/cheaper options are continually coming up the pipeline to replace those supporting cast players.

Kinda funny that a contending team is willing to move valuable players during their window of contention, but a non-contending team like the Leafs have been willing to lose guys like MacArthur, Grabo, etc for nothing. Had we traded them, we could be looking at our own Saad/Pirri/etc coming up the pipeline in a couple of years.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Trade Gardiner for Myers
Trade Lupul + for Jeff Carter

when healthy:

JVR/Carter/Kessel
Clarkson/Kadri/Raymond
Kulemin/Bolland/Bozak(or trade him for a winger)
Mclaren/Mclement/Orr

Gunnarson/Phaneuf
Rielly/Myers
Fraser/Franson
7th:Ranger

Berny/Riems

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Asset management. A team at the top, that "should" be gunning for the Cup year in and year out (i put quotations around should, because thats the general mindset around the league... But theres a reason why Chicago is so successful, and part of it involves bucking that trend) has had 45 draft picks over the past 5 drafts, while a rebuilding team like us have only had 34.

Chicago has a great prospect pool because they avoid losing valuable pieces for nothing via free agency. They traded away Versteeg, Brouwer, Byfgulien, Ladd, Bolland, Campbell, etc. for varying returns. Theyve recognized that they have certain core guys locked up that they can win with, as long as they give them a good supporting cast. They trade guys while they can, subtracting from that supporting cast, but it also ensures that younger/cheaper options are continually coming up the pipeline to replace those supporting cast players.

Kinda funny that a contending team is willing to move valuable players during their window of contention, but a non-contending team like the Leafs have been willing to lose guys like MacArthur, Grabo, etc for nothing. Had we traded them, we could be looking at our own Saad/Pirri/etc coming up the pipeline in a couple of years.

Is it possible that job security comes into play here?

Stan can fall back on his 2 CHI cup rings.

Neither of our GMs had the guts to move pending UFAs, like Grabo,Mac because they had a good shot at making the POs .

All to often GMs and coachs collaborate to make changes that best serve their short term needs, like ohhhhh IDK, keeping their jobs over the longer health of the franchise.

Look at BB for example , his botched contracts to Grabo,Liles are not causing him and issues right now.

Last edited:

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Depends, a blockbuster announcement or a blockbuster ****ing announcement?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Whether its for a quality center or top D or whatever

How about waiting till our top 3 centers come back, and see what kind of team the Leafs are as apposed to this knee jerk reaction.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Have to give up someone of noteworthy like a Lupul, or Franson + maybe even Reimer or Bernier

Well, there is the rub,no?

Frans, Reims, RFAs

Dion,Kuli,Bol,UFAs

Plus another bunch of UFAs,RFAs

Harder to trade those kinda players for a live active under contract C.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

You need to get your facts straight. You seem to forget Mac was signed for nothing initially, and every Mac and Grabo that was let go, the Leafs signed McClement and Clarkson. Chicago had to get rid of these players for Cap space, by letting them walk away for nothing didn't allow cap space to be freed up for other players, but create space to keep what they already had. The notion around here that teams have to trade their UFA's for something rather than risk loosing the asset for "nothing" is not only ridiculous but idiotic.

member 147413

I'm always open for a blockbuster trade, I only really like Rielly, Bernier, Mcclemment and Fraser, I'd be fine with seeing others moved, obviously for a fair return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad