Who's all for a blockbuster trade ?

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
What people are missing here is that we don't necessarily need an elite #1C. I think our team can get by on having a stop gap center who is used to playing with skilled guy. Our offense is carried through JVR and Kessel rushes. Having JVR play center totally kills the rushes and it has led to our 1 gpg pace since JVR was switched to C. Carlyle in post game conference even said that he'd put anyone at 1st line C if they were capable. JVR is being forced to play there because Carlyle doesn't have any other alternatives. If we had another Kadri type of prospect or hell even a Joe Colborne, our top line would be JVR - Colborne - Kessel. This would push down Lupul to the 2nd line and help create a much more balanced offensive team.

We need a top 6 C. Period. Doesn't have to be elite. Bozo certainly is no where close but he does his job and frees up Kessel and JVR to do what they do best. I'm guessing Nonis's hands are tied because of cap and contract constraints. Otherwise he'd be an absolute moron not to find a replacement center by now. I'm sure we can stick Smithson in at #1C next game and get more offensive jam out of that line.

EDIT:
I'd love to target a player like Mikael Backlund out of Cgy. He probably wouldn't cost much more than a prospect + 2nd/ 3rd. He's got speed, skill and a decent shot. He's also alright in the faceoff dot. Plus he's young enough that he still has time to turn on his game and potentially become a valuable top 6 player.

Last edited:

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I'd really be up for a blockbuster trade, but I do have players that should not be moved under any circumstances.

NOT to be Moved
-Kessel
-Kadri
-JVR
-Rielly

Not that Phaneuf, Lupul, Gardiner etc aren't apart of our core its just that I see those 4 players I listed above as being the foundation of our team for many years going forward.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
oh i remember all this trading talk crap a few years ago

annoying

nothing wrong with the team, just top two centers MISSING LOL
like when Crosby and Malkin were out
but Pittsburgh did great i recall

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
oh i remember all this trading talk crap a few years ago

annoying

nothing wrong with the team, just top two centers MISSING LOL
like when Crosby and Malkin were out
but Pittsburgh did great i recall

Great! Pick one team out of 30 who have managed to survive injuries to their top 2 centers. That team also has enough skill to be a perennial contender and have won the cup in the past. We're not the Pens, we're not on that level yet. It's not rocket science.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Great! Pick one team out of 30 who have managed to survive injuries to their top 2 centers. That team also has enough skill to be a perennial contender and have won the cup in the past. We're not the Pens, we're not on that level yet. It's not rocket science.

Actually Penguins depth has been their achilles heel last few seasons. So original point is still valid. Their bad depth overcame adversities.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
I am more subject to the idea of moving franson now for an upgrade. Now is not the time to go all out, I think we can make the playoffs with this roster. Going for the cup is for the next coming years.

Mar 26, 2010
100% yes, this team is going no where fast. One of the worst in the NHL.

Shake it up!

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Only blockbusters that are gonna happen is high-potential D or a goalie going and getting a high-potential C back.

Doubt we'd go for a rental since we're a few years away still :(

Don't think we'll do any pick swapping.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Actually Penguins depth has been their achilles heel last few seasons. So original point is still valid. Their bad depth overcame adversities.
Far stronger coaching. Our nut of a coach is obsessed with line matching and tends to kill the flow with his regular interventions. It only became obvious towards the end when he limited his input that Gardiner and the rest started looking a lot better.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
While I wouldn't mind making a move, can't say I'm heavily pushing doing something crazy either. At least the center situation (aside from Bolland) will get resolved within a week or so. If there was a move to make that would work along side that situation it'd be nice.

Certainly guys I don't mind us looking into moving for the right situation. Nothing against Franson, but I just don't think that it's a good fit for us to be paying him what he's going to feel he's worth after this coming season. Yeah he's got the rare shot for this group, but is that alone a reason we should be keeping him long-term?

A few guys really you could move and it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just find a way to improve the team reasonably and I can get behind it.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I know its a big pipe dream but I really really really want us to get our hands on Ryan Strome. I'd be willing to overpay for this kid. Can you Imagine having Strome, Kadri as top 6C?

Maybe something like:

Reimer + pick for Strome

or

Kulemin + 1st for Strome

JVR - Strome - Kessel
Clarkson - Kadri - Lupul
Raymond - Bozak - Bolland
McClement - Smithson - Orr/ McLaren

I think that is an extremely competitive forwards group. We have 6 capable centers.

Gardiner for Simmonds and they eat some salary this season.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Not really sure how to vote but because I don't entirely agree with either option. I don't think a blockbuster trade is needed to improve chemistry. I think there are obvious areas that could use improvement and if a blockbuster allows us to address particular needs that make our team better now or very near in the future, then I'm okay with that.

On the other hand, I don't think now is a time to panic either. We can complain about how they win games ugly but this thread only exists because right now they aren't winning and I'd wager that key injuries are playing a big factor there. These injuries are throwing off the entire balance of the team. I think patience is needed, not because they're young (and I think we should move on from this reasoning) but because we have yet to see the team play close to a healthy roster. 19 games in with a contending record doesn't necessarily justify making rash decisions until you know exactly what you have.

jughead42*

I think the Leafs would benefit from a bit of a shuffle, and I'm not going to say anybody should be exempt from inclusion if the return is significant. If Morgan Reilly can bring in a guy like Ryan OReilly to give us true depth up the middle then so be it. If Nazem Kadri can help bring in a guy like Bogosian to solidify our blue line, then by all means pull the trigger. No player should be untouchable in our quest to get better. As the season progresses and more teams start feeling the heat, some good players will become available and the Leafs have the ammunition to get deals done. With the cap relief provided by Bozak and Bolland's injuries, the Leafs should be able to get something done and I'm all for it. Clearly we're a decent team, but it's also quite clear that we aren't a good team yet. With great goaltending and some elite scoring power we're getting close to being good, but something is still missing, up the middle especially.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
If were gonna play a chip n chase crash/bang system we need big bodied wingers to make it work. Right now all we have is Clarkson, JVR (when he's in the mood) and Kulemin (when he's in the mood) in our top 6 the rest are soft/rush style players, I'd be all for bringing in a guy like Simmonds to round it out.

Please, we have enough hard players. Enough, for you to cry here all day how vicious and punishing they are.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I think the Leafs would benefit from a bit of a shuffle, and I'm not going to say anybody should be exempt from inclusion if the return is significant. If Morgan Reilly can bring in a guy like Ryan OReilly to give us true depth up the middle then so be it. If Nazem Kadri can help bring in a guy like Bogosian to solidify our blue line, then by all means pull the trigger. No player should be untouchable in our quest to get better. As the season progresses and more teams start feeling the heat, some good players will become available and the Leafs have the ammunition to get deals done. With the cap relief provided by Bozak and Bolland's injuries, the Leafs should be able to get something done and I'm all for it. Clearly we're a decent team, but it's also quite clear that we aren't a good team yet. With great goaltending and some elite scoring power we're getting close to being good, but something is still missing, up the middle especially.

Already trading Morgan now.
I'm starting to wonder if you even watch the games.

jughead42*

Already trading Morgan now.
I'm starting to wonder if you even watch the games.

Read my post again, and make special not of the part where I say "if the return is significant" because you seem to have missed that. If you are going to get anything good, you have to give up something good, that's always been the case.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Read my post again, and make special not of the part where I say "if the return is significant" because you seem to have missed that. If you are going to get anything good, you have to give up something good, that's always been the case.

Well, I don't know what pair of glasses you are wearing. BUT, mine here seem to think Reilly is not just good. He is fantastic. Excellent. Magnificent.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Please, we have enough hard players. Enough, for you to cry here all day how vicious and punishing they are.

Not in our top 6 we don't, when healthy our top 6 is JVR/Bozak/Kessel/Lupul/Kadri and
Raymond. Not too much physicality or meanness there, JVR and Lupul CAN play a board game when they are in the mood (key word is when they are in the mood) but really our top 6 is meant to be a rush style attack unit, not a cycling one. I agree though in our bottom 6 we are tough as nails and have a lot of big bodies out there, problem is more often then not your bottom 6 doesn't get a lot of ice time and really they lack offensive prowness to be effective.

Tibor

May 26, 2010
Toronto
No

Leafs aren't in need of a shake up right now.

Only make a major trade if it weighs heavily in our favour, like the Lupul trade.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
No

Leafs aren't in need of a shake up right now.

They're not? They get out competed everygame, they get outshot by a 2-1/3-1 ratio most nights, they're close to dead last for e/s goals for etc and you think this team is fine? No don't let their 11-6-1 record fool you, there is a lot of wrong with this team that needs fixed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad