Who's all for a blockbuster trade ?

leafstilldeath*

I think - you'd have to think this:

Bolland isn't coming back until next year (truthfully, playoffs or not, I'd rather have a healthy Bolland, then a crippled one). so he's off the books.

I would, at this point, swing for the fences and hope for the best. Trade Kadri Franson, & a Tender, and go hard out. Play Rielly, New Person, and sign a vet goaltender, and go for it.

:facepalm:

And this is why one cannot have good things

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
hD7B75317

DaveT83*

History repeating itself. How many times does it have to be proven in this city - that you cannot simply trade your way out of problems.

Drafting a 1C
Drafting a 1D

Were the solutions 10 years ago - they remain the same today.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Giroux is out there and Philly is willy to move him and he could probably be had pretty cheap seeing as he's struggling. There's obviously something wrong in that dressing room.

If we had Giroux on our top like with JVR and Kessel that would be amazing.

Penalty Kill Icing*

There you go.. the BLOCKBUSTER!!

Holland the new Toews.

Time to hype him up on main boards... BRB!! :yo: :yo:

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I guess it depends who we acquired and what the price was. Kind of seems like an open ended question...

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Leafs fans on HF:

Lets make a big trade for a top end player!

Lets offer other teams are depth and spare parts!

Lets get angry and distraught when other teams ask for top assets like JVR, Rielly, 1st rounders, etc.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
:facepalm:

And this is why one cannot have good things

the question was - do you go for the blockbuster.
so if we go for a blockbuster -

we're going to pretty much have to give up some of OUR good things to get other teams GOOD THINGS.

sooner or later one or two (or all three) of what I listed is going to be gone.

penalty shot*

Giroux is out there and Philly is willy to move him and he could probably be had pretty cheap seeing as he's struggling. There's obviously something wrong in that dressing room.

If we had Giroux on our top like with JVR and Kessel that would be amazing.

not sure Leafs can tackle another 8 mil contract on their books

leafstilldeath*

the question was - do you go for the blockbuster.
so if we go for a blockbuster -

we're going to pretty much have to give up some of OUR good things to get other teams GOOD THINGS.

sooner or later one or two (or all three) of what I listed is going to be gone.

I don't think we need a block-buster trade. Our team is good. We just need to upgrade a few positions.

Back when we had a blockbuster with Calgary our team was just terrible. This team has been jelling well no need to turn the sky upside down, at least not yet.

The requirement:

1D or 2D
1C

These upgrades are the hardest to acquire. If we can get a decent top6 C and a serviceable shut-down D i.e. a defensive Defenceman I think we would be a pretty good team and a potential contender.

More importantly we should know that Nonis is comparitively more patient than some of the other GMs in the league and wouldnt pull the plug on a blockbuster deal, especially, when Nonis was just handed a 5 year extension.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Blockbuster? Naw, but we do need another big body or two, just not sure whether that should be at forward or defense. In terms of puck possession, its important that when you get a chance to get the puck out, you get it out, because if you don't its just that much longer the opposition has the puck and that much shorter we don't. I'm sorry but I have to mention how much Phaneuf sucks at getting the puck out. Hes been great this year but watch him along the boards in our zone, 9/10 its a turnover. Its a real piss-off

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
rofl i came in here expecting noone wanting a big trade, this is why leaf fans cant have nice things..... and with the trade today i doubt we see anything else

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
Teams like LA and Chicago are not afraid to take a stab at players who put up #s in juniors. A lot of times teams get caught up in projecting players as certain types in the NHL that they lose sight of the fact that they haven't yet succeeded in the juniors ranks. Players like Vey, Toffoli, Pirri were all excellent producers in the junior ranks but they never got the credit at the draft because their game wasn't projected to translate well into the NHL.

Leafs are too conservative with their drafting. They need to grow a pair and hit homeruns with the sexy picks. Players like Kucherov, Saad, Jurco, Rattie, Gibson, Toffolli, Jarnkrok, Frk, etc. are the boom or bust prospects with one common factor. That factor is immense skill. They might be undersized or slow but they can shoot and pass with the best of them. We have big prospects who are fairly decent skaters but have hands of stone. We're drafting safe picks and even the safe picks are turning into ****.

Aside from drafting, we have no luck developing our guys. For one reason or another our prospects never seem to flat out dominate any league. We just haven't had any luck with that game breaking prospect. Kadri was the closest we've had in years. Leivo is looking like potentially another but even he will probably end up being a 2nd liner in the future.

You can throw Shinkaruk into that group too :shakehead

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Gagner sucks

Terrible at faceoffs
Terrible defensively
Nothing special offensively
Undersized perimeter forward. I don't understand why there is an obsession to throw any playmaking centre on the top line. The only perimeter forward on our top line should be Kessel especially when JVR isn't exactly a power forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->