Who'll stop The Reign: The 2023-24 Ontario Reign Thread

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kings beat the Ducks 3-2, Reign beat the Gulls 3-2. Fagemo scored another goal, his 25th on the year, to bring him 2nd in goals scored in the AHL. Only Adam Gaudette has more with 29 in 45 games played.

The Reign are currently sixth of ten in the Pacific Division, where the top seven make the playoffs.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
The Grand Rapids Griffins beat the Milwuakee Admirals 4-2 tonight, snapping Milwaukee's 19-game winning streak. Sheesh. Some familiar names on both sides too: Admirals captain Kevin Gravel, alternate captain Roland McKeown, and goalie Troy Grosenick, plus Griffins forward Matt Luff. Cody Hodgson has also scored in three straight games now, pretty cool story regarding his comeback. He initially retired in 2016 after being diagnosed with malignant hyperthermia. Good for him.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Speaking of, Fagemo tied the game with 6 seconds left in the third. He’s now tied for third in the AHL in scoring despite playing in at least 13 fewer games than anyone in front of him.
He’s a great AHLer.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Well Fagemo scored another tonight, that’s 29 goals and 44 points in 34 games. That’s second in the AHL in goals scored in 11th in points, plus he leads the AHL in points per game (among players with 20 or more games played). Seems pretty good to me.

Reign are 4-0-0-1 in their last 5 games

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009

Luke Rowe....Who?

No idea but those Reign jerseys are pretty slick. He'll be wearing #41 though, so he's alright with me! Loved #41 since Jason Allison.

Some info on Rowe: Reign Sign Defender Luke Rowe

The Ontario Reign announced Tuesday that the team has signed defenseman Luke Rowe to an AHL contract for the remainder of the 2023-24 season. The blueliner joins the Reign after recently completing his senior season in the NCAA at Air Force.

Rowe, 25, totaled 29 points in 35 games with the Falcons this season on six goals and 23 assists. His point total currently ranks ninth in the country among defenders, while his assist number is 10th. This season, Rowe is second on the Falcons in assists and third in overall scoring, shots on goal (98) and power play goals (4).

The Succasunna, N.J. native appeared in 125 career games with Air Force during four seasons from 2019-2024, totaling 74 points on 21 goals and 53 assists while spending his last three campaigns as the team's captain.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
7 in a row for the reign.

Bright spots include Fagemo with his league leading goals (33) but franchise leading power play goals at 16.

Clarke is getting 20 minutes a night on the ice, not 7-8 up in the NHL.

Portillo has been solid with the numbers the past 7 games. 1.57GAA in that span. Pretty solid.

Have you been watching the games regularly @regulate ? How has everything been looking?

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

Bright spots include Fagemo with his league leading goals (33) but franchise leading power play goals at 16.

Portillo has been solid with the numbers the past 7 games. 1.57GAA in that span. Pretty solid.

Have you been watching the games regularly @regulate ? How has everything been looking?
Fagemo looks like he can play on second or third line for Kings now.
Portillo needs improve his flexibility and positioning, but ready for NHL in all other set of skills.
Clarke need to gain at least 20 pounds of muscles to be ready to play on main team.

P.S. My first 3 line for Kings will be:

Kempe, Kopitar, Byfield

Fiala, PLD, Fagemo/Kaliev

Moore, Turcotte/Danault, Kaliev/Fagemo

Last edited:
Reactions: Telos and Mattias

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Samuel Fagemo Named AHL Player of the Week

The American Hockey League announced today that Ontario Reign forward Samuel Fagemo has been selected as the Howies Hockey Tape/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending March 10, 2024.

Fagemo owns a share of the AHL lead with 34 goals scored in just 37 games with Ontario this season – including a league-best 16 power-play goals and eight game-winning tallies (T-1st) – and sits tied for eighth overall with 50 points

:eek3:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Now 8 wins in a row with the convincing 6-2 win last night in Calgary, a two game sweep. Reign are getting excellent goal tending from both Dell and Portillo (Dell came within a foot of scoring a goal too yesterday), defense seems to have settled down and Clarke is a huge addition. So smooth out there, his NHL talent clearly visible for all to see. I did watch the last two games after missing several in a row, Sturm really has the team playing well. Seems a lot of the opponents lately lack offensive talent as many of their top players have been recalled to the NHL, the Reign with a lot of vets are taking advantage. Hicketts returning after missing most of the season has been a big addition to the D corp. Fagemo is a machine at this level and works so well with Tynan, they feed off each other. But as Jim Fox said last night, Sammy is not in the NHL right now due to his play away from the puck. His bread and butter are his hands and shot, but most of his skill set is very average or below NHL average. He would be a great addition to the Kings PP though.

The playoffs seem set in the AHL pacific division as the top 7 teams (out of 10 make the Calder Cup playoffs) in the west, as there is a big gap from the bottom 3. It's just a matter of who the Reign will play. They have not matched up well with Colorado the last few years and have been bounced in the 1st round (only a best of 3, which is ridiculous IMO). You have to win 3 rounds (best of 3 and two best of 5 just to make it to the conference finals), all driven by money to help teams with playoff revenue. It's also a pretty unfair setup, with only 1 team in the Pacific getting a bye (1st place), where 3 out of 5 get a bye in the Central (Pacific has too many teams eligible for the playoffs). If the playoffs started today, the Reign would face the Wranglers, a pretty even match up, you'd have to beat Dustin Wolf though. It's really anyone's game in the Pacific, really evenly matched teams, especially if a lot of teams get some of their prospects back.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
oh i'm sure we'll just let him rot on the vine instead, on some "if i can't have him no one will" shit

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Fagemo now leads the AHL in goals with his 35th goal in the lost to the Gulls Wednesday night. 35 in 39 games I don't care what league it is that's pretty impressive. Not sure what the future holds for him, but really hope he gets a shot somewhere if not here.
He’s Martin Frk 2.0, the kid just doesn’t do enough away from the puck to be an NHLer.. he’s a AAAA player.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
He’s Martin Frk 2.0, the kid just doesn’t do enough away from the puck to be an NHLer.. he’s a AAAA player.
We have seen guys overseas ripping on the vine and sign in the NHL in their mid 20s and have a positive positive contribution.

Even if he turns out to be a Kubalik that is still an NHL asset. Put them on a line with two defensively responsible guys like Byfield and Kempe and see what happens.

There are tons of players in the NHL that are not defensively responsible and are still holding jobs with other teams. We just stockpile the ones that are defensively responsible with no offense.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"all these kids aren't even that good and have no future here"

*every one of them is playing on a better team's top six/top pairing*

"yeah well they weren't going to do that here. None of THESE kids are any good either."

can't wait for the rationalizing next year!

Reactions: tigermask48

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I have watched both Frk and Fagemo a lot using my AHL subscription.
I have never liked Frk play and was not crazy about Fagemo play in the beginning.
Since Fagemo got back with Reign this year I have changed my opinion about him.
I am not saying he is great defensive player, but he can shoot, he can pass and he can find open space easily.
I believe he really can play on second or third lines for LA.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Ironically Frk did pretty well for the big team.

I dislike this comparison. In the end injuries stopped him and not the play away from the puck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad