Who would you trade off this Preds team?

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I get what you're saying. Who was there when Josi got rocked by Downie. Bourque and Weber.

I'd love to see angry Shea more too but I really believe the staff has told Weber and others to keep their emotions in check so as to not incur stupid penalties. No defense ever come in from the blue line in fear of the face off moving outside the offensive zone.

His overall stats say otherwise about him wanting to be here or not. Blocked shots are not something guys who don't care do. Just saying.

And I'm happy to have him. The guy has talent, obviously, and we're lucky to have him as a Pred. If we can turn things around, he may really commit (if he hasn't already). I think Weber wanted to play on a winner, and saw Philly as a better option for that. We start winning, and I think Weber will be 100% in.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
And I'm happy to have him. The guy has talent, obviously, and we're lucky to have him as a Pred. If we can turn things around, he may really commit (if he hasn't already). I think Weber wanted to play on a winner, and saw Philly as a better option for that. We start winning, and I think Weber will be 100% in.

I disagree. Weber wanted to get the absolute maximum total dollars, which is what the offer sheet process did, it made sure that he was getting the most money that anyone would be willing to pay.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I disagree. Weber wanted to get the absolute maximum total dollars, which is what the offer sheet process did, it made sure that he was getting the most money that anyone would be willing to pay.
Weber said he wanted to see roster improvement before signing a long term deal. I don't know anyone who thinks we have an improved roster since he said that 2 years ago.

There's plenty of reasons to think he wants to player for a winner.

I'm not saying Weber definitely wants out. But just a gut feeling he will want if we don't turn it around quickly.

People always think Joe Sakic is the prime example, but there was no reason to think he wanted out of Colorado-- he was playing for winner, adamant to play there, just saw a way to get the contract he wanted. Colorado matched without much hesitation and went on to win the cup a couple years later.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Weber said he wanted to see roster improvement before signing a long term deal. I don't know anyone who thinks we have an improved roster since he said that 2 years ago.

I'm not saying Weber definitely wants out. But just a gut feeling he will want if we don't turn it around quickly.

People always think Joe Sakic is the prime example, but there was no reason to think he wanted out of Colorado-- he was playing for winner, adamant to play there, just saw a way to get the contract he wanted. Colorado matched without much hesitation and went on to win the cup a couple years later.

I didn't say Weber didn't want to play for a winner, what I said was he didn't go the offer sheet route just to get to a winner. He went offer sheet to get maximum dollars. If winning had been more important than money he could have signed for one year with the Preds and then taken his pick of teams

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
I didn't say Weber didn't want to play for a winner, what I said was he didn't go the offer sheet route just to get to a winner. He went offer sheet to get maximum dollars. If winning had been more important than money he could have signed for one year with the Preds and then taken his pick of teams

Let's also keep in mind that the CBA was going to change and it was Weber's last chance to get the real maximum dollars before it did. No way he gets that kind of contract under the new agreement. Probably made him $10-20 million more than now.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Let's also keep in mind that the CBA was going to change and it was Weber's last chance to get the real maximum dollars before it did. No way he gets that kind of contract under the new agreement. Probably made him $10-20 million more than now.

It made him more money up front rather than him having to spread out the millions evenly over the term of the contract.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I'd do that. Feels like a fair trade to me.

While Wilson has size, he doesn't seem to be the most aggressive player out there. He does go to hard areas right? Or is he just a big perimeter player?

Why on earth would we trade a left handed d-man for another righty....

This trade wouldn't work in bizarro world let alone this one.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not an exciting answer, but in the case of the Preds, IMO, anyone (maybe except Jones) is available for the right price. Weber, Klein, and Josi included. I remember during the draft when we selected Jones, they stated that Poile's phone has been ringing with offers for Josi. I'm very curious what offers other GM's had in mind. Yes it would take a ton, but I'd guess opposing GM's know this.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

Wrong Wrong Wrong.....

a timeline...http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers-history/sakic-flashback/

and if no one clicks, Sakic signed a crazy (at the time) frontloaded deal where he made 17 of the 21 million in year . Signed NYR OS August 7. They had a week to match. and I guess "without much hesitation" is the full 7 days, because COL matched August 14th.

and the NY Times piece on it explaining the money aspect

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/07/sports/sakic-signs-offer-from-rangers.html

So yes, Joe Sakic is a PRIME example. Captain, signed in a huge market, front-loaded deal, Avs were perceived as being broke and not able to afford it, Pleas explain how it is different. This really should be put to rest.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
So yes, Joe Sakic is a PRIME example. Captain, signed in a huge market, front-loaded deal, Avs were perceived as being broke and not able to afford it, Pleas explain how it is different. This really should be put to rest.
It's different because the Avalanche were winners. They had recently won the stanley cup and were the hottest franchise in the NHL. They had sold out every game in Denver. The only possible hope NYR had was that their arena was in transition, but it was still a shot in the dark. "We intended to match it from the moment the offer sheet came in"- CEO. And the Avalanche remained winners-- winning the Stanley Cup again a couple years later.

Contrary, the Predators have won a grand total of 2 playoff rounds in 15 years. Weber has publicly said he was hesitant to sign an extension with the Predators without seeing roster improvements. The improvements didn't happen-- we've only got worse. We are going on 2 years of fail. We are not a winner right now, and it's hard to see drastic change anytime soon.

There are plenty of other reasons to think Weber wants to play for winner, but I'll leave it at what he's said publicly. Weber has been patient and professional, but I think he will want out if things aren't turned around quickly.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
I'm tired of watching him turn away instead of finishing checks .
so much skill so little hockey sense.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
As far as hesitating to trade young D talent from this team. A poster, 'radu47' over on OTF wrote something that sums it up so perfectly that I have to relay it here:

"Many, many teams are thriving with defense cores that either aren’t the least bit inspiring or are “works in progress”. Ask any Ducks fan, their blueline is far from ideal but oh… right, they would win the President’s trophy if it were announced today. Colorado posted the best GAA of any team in the league for the first part of the season with Andre Benoit playing 20 minutes a night (!). You don’t need Seth Jones, Shea Weber and Roman Josi in their primes to win hockey games. You need Getzlaf and Perry in their primes to do so. Look around the league, it is blatantly obvious that offense wins hockey games. We really shouldn’t get so greedy/attached/committed to our young defensive prospects/talent though it is nice to have talent at that position. We need to find more Fillip Forsbergs, if anything.

Simply put, we freaking need an elite scorer to do anything in this league!!!

We had Ryan Suter and Shea Weber (a hall of fame level pairing) and… oh right Pekka Rinne (HOF level goaltender) and we struggled when we finally made it past the FIRST round."

radu47 if you read this board, well said!

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I agree with AtlantaWhaler after this weekend. The roster simply is not working top to bottom; I think everyone has to be open to some big changes. Values are highest at the deadline and I think (hope) we are big sellers this year. It's pretty apparent that we need a fundamental change to our player makeup.

Still not on the Fire Trotz / Poile bandwagon, but if we keep floundering badly, I wouldn't be shocked if something happened there.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I agree with AtlantaWhaler after this weekend. The roster simply is not working top to bottom; I think everyone has to be open to some big changes. Values are highest at the deadline and I think (hope) we are big sellers this year. It's pretty apparent that we need a fundamental change to our player makeup.

Still not on the Fire Trotz / Poile bandwagon, but if we keep floundering badly, I wouldn't be shocked if something happened there.

What is it going to take ? ... Composition of this team has failed miserably, that goes on Poile's plate no matter what anyone else tells you. This team couldn't score last season at all & we don't address that big question in FA *MOAR GRINDERS* ('12-'13) 111 G in 48 GP) ... (109 G this year in 47 GP)

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
What is it going to take ? ... Composition of this team has failed miserably, that goes on Poile's plate no matter what anyone else tells you. This team couldn't score last season at all & we don't address that big question in FA *MOAR GRINDERS* ('12-'13) 111 G in 48 GP) ... (109 G this year in 47 GP)

While I agree they should have gone after scoring more so than anything via free agency there really wasn't much out there as always. I would much rather have Filpulla at 5M a year over any two of the 4 we did sign. Aside from that though there wasn't much to be had.

Let us not forget that Rinne freak injury has played a large part of why this season has been so bad to this point. People can say Poile should have seen this coming but the infection is really not something you can see coming or plan for. It was a shock to everyone including the doctors. Maybe Poile should have signed a more veteran goalie to back Rinne up but why spend all that money on a guy that will play at most 15 games and more than likely 10 or so. While Rinne's injury had something to do with the offseason surgery it was not a case of reinjury. It was just about as bad of luck as you can have.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver

Can't think about these things in a vacuum. Who is the better GM alternative right now that is free? There are some debatable options, but there is no one that has me salivating. Grass could be greener post-Poile or it could be a Feaster-esque 5+ year debacle waiting to happen. Change is good...except when it's bad.

Let's be clear, I don't really like this roster, but can the next guy magically fix it? Who knows, but I don't see a Bowman / Chiarelli / etc. hanging out in the shadows waiting for the job. You could go with Fenton who I like very much, but A) he's never helmed a club and B) you could argue he's had a major hand in building the disappointing club we have today.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well at least one of my wishes got answered. Now if only my others could too. I also like to get rid of Nystrom. About the only new additions I would keep is Cullen, the rest can go.

Last edited:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Can't think about these things in a vacuum. Who is the better GM alternative right now that is free? There are some debatable options, but there is no one that has me salivating. Grass could be greener post-Poile or it could be a Feaster-esque 5+ year debacle waiting to happen. Change is good...except when it's bad.

Let's be clear, I don't really like this roster, but can the next guy magically fix it? Who knows, but I don't see a Bowman / Chiarelli / etc. hanging out in the shadows waiting for the job. You could go with Fenton who I like very much, but A) he's never helmed a club and B) you could argue he's had a major hand in building the disappointing club we have today.

Ultimately, I think Trotz needs to be the one to go first. He supposedly hand picked the players this off season. Poile has a brilliant hockey mind, but I think he is terrified of retiring before he can win a cup or a gold at the olympics and his judgement maybe a bit clouded.

If Poile was to dump Trotz and hire Peter Laviolette, I would start feeling this franchise had turned a corner. It wouldn't be more of the same. I think a coach like Laviollette has a certain expiration tag though (4 years tops) but in those 4 years, he will kick your guys into high gear, something this team needs and I think would give Poile a chance to win a cup if he makes the proper roster adjustments.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Ultimately, I think Trotz needs to be the one to go first. He supposedly hand picked the players this off season. Poile has a brilliant hockey mind, but I think he is terrified of retiring before he can win a cup or a gold at the olympics and his judgement maybe a bit clouded.

If Poile was to dump Trotz and hire Peter Laviolette, I would start feeling this franchise had turned a corner. It wouldn't be more of the same. I think a coach like Laviollette has a certain expiration tag though (4 years tops) but in those 4 years, he will kick your guys into high gear, something this team needs and I think would give Poile a chance to win a cup if he makes the proper roster adjustments.
I think it's becoming a bit of folklore around here that our FA signings were all "hand picked by Trotz". I have no doubts that he collaborated with Poile, but if Poile is making decisions largely off what the coach says, that's on Poile. Poile is in charge and he needs to start acting like it (not that it's going to change at 64 years old).

I like how Brian Burke called out Poile in that ESPN article. He said it's the GMs job to see the whole picture. AKA Make some damn decisions for yourself Poile!

And Lombardi told him don't beat himself over the decision. AKA Go with your instincts Poile and quit *****footing around!

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00