Who Would You Take First Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hits that he took this year.

You know that hes played more games than just the ones during the u18 and u20 (where he did get smoked and missed time because of it) right?
Hockey player gets hit sometimes, more at 11.

These would be valid concerns in 1995. There has never been an era as friendly to undersized finesse players as today’s NHL. There has never been an era where these concerns have meant less than they do now. That’s why he’s the number 1 prospect and will be the number 1 pick.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
... Except actual scouts have brought this up as a potential issue.

"The second point of contention around Hughes is his size and concerns around durability. This stems from scouts’ concerns over the combination of how fast he is, his frame and how often he gets hit."

Pronman: Why Jack Hughes is an elite NHL prospect

When small fast things get hit by bigger things, the outcome usually isn't good.

Not to mention Hughes either becomes the first player to make a direct transition from the USHL to the NHL, or the first one in a long time not joining the NHL after the draft.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
hughes all day long. threads like these will look awfully funny in a few years (and that’s not to take anything away from kakko)
Posts like this look funny right now. But if you're predicting the future, i'd love to know the lotto numbers for next week.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
This antinomy boils down to the style preferences: Rather would you like to dance on ice with a nut-cracker or a complete nuts crackpot nutter? Of course the nut-cracker. Only a small caveat: Even if Hughes come close to a nut-cracker, a ballet dancer with classic finesse on skates Kaapo is no crackpot. So, let my try again. Rather would you go and watch Russian ballet or - ice hockey? That is a tough nut to crack...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hockey player gets hit sometimes, more at 11.

These would be valid concerns in 1995. There has never been an era as friendly to undersized finesse players as today’s NHL. There has never been an era where these concerns have meant less than they do now. That’s why he’s the number 1 prospect and will be the number 1 pick.

Yeah guys get hit, guys don't get smoked often though, at least the ones that hang around with out massive injury histories.

He should go #1 despite it not being the slam dunk that it was 6 months ago, the talent and skill level is so high you hope that he figures the rest of it out but he has concerns, whether you want to admit it or not.

It's not 1995, but guys still get hit and those who put themselves in a position to get hit hard don't tend to fare all to well.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Posts like this look funny right now. But if you're predicting the future, i'd love to know the lotto numbers for next week.

right, because the logic that goes into selecting a player in the draft is the same logic that goes into picking lottery numbers. well done sir

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey

Here it is! All 30 goals Kakko scored (so far) season 18-19!
Enjoy!

+ 1 for having a wicked wrister, Hughes, does not have that. overall shot as well.
+ 1 for playing with men that are big and strong, with no foot speed though, or playing the the KHL i.e. skill wise
- 1 for thinking those wrap arounds are going to work in the NHL
- 1 for some of those goals being tap ins.
- 1 for not dishing many apples (i have looked at other videos of full shifts in isolation)

Hughes is for a team that needs playmaker for taylor hall(MVP) and other people that have a high scoring %, kind of like rantaanen and mackinnon. The Devils have plenty of heavy shooters like Hall , and Palmeri so this is going to fit right in, also let Nico be Nico.

Kakko is for a team that has play makers, and people that are not finishing. This fin, will finish. Rangers have no dishers other then their top scorer Zibanejad , they dumped all their forwards

Reactions: Masamies

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
+

Sometimes they do.

Example:

Not satisfied? Here have another

-1 for some of those goals being tap ins.

You're going to hate the fact that most of Jack Hughes' goals come from 5-10 feet out.

- 1 for not dishing many apples (i have looked at other videos of full shifts in isolations

You should, it'd make your realize how silly your second paragraph is.

• Haha
Reactions: Hisch13r

ijuka

May 14, 2016
+ 1 for having a wicked wrister, Hughes, does not have that. overall shot as well.
+ 1 for playing with men that are big and strong, with no foot speed though, or playing the the KHL i.e. skill wise
- 1 for some of those goals being tap ins.
- 1 for not dishing many apples (i have looked at other videos of full shifts in isolation)

Hughes is for a team that needs playmaker for taylor hall(MVP) and other people that have a high scoring %, kind of like rantaanen and mackinnon. The Devils have plenty of heavy shooters like Hall , and Palmeri so this is going to fit right in, also let Nico be Nico.

Kakko is for a team that has play makers, and people that are not finishing. This fin, will finish. Rangers have no dishers other then their top scorer Zibanejad , they dumped all their forwards
Slightly simplistic a way for looking at things. Kakko can playmake as well, and 16 assists in a Liiga season isn't bad. That's more assists per game than Jesperi Kotkaniemi had, for example. And Kotkaniemi's a playmaker through and through. Also, the point of the wraparound isn't necessarily to score, but what it does is it brings the puck to the net, after which there could be a scramble where a goal could be scored. Hundreds of goals get scored like this every year. I'm also not sure why scoring tap ins would be a negative...? If we consider the game 7 OT winners recently, weren't both tap ins? It's about being in the right place at the right time while separating from the defender, which is something related to hockey IQ.

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
Sometimes they do.

Example:

Not satisfied? Here have another

You're going to hate the fact that most of Jack Hughes' goals come from 5-10 feet out.

You should, it'd make your realize how silly your second paragraph is.

notice you said.... sometimes. Im talking realistic, consistent goals, wristers which i already pointed out his is liane deadly

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
Has Kakko broken records in the Finnish league?
Screen-Shot-2019-03-14-at-5.09.42-PM.png

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
only ovechkin stands in Hughes way(with 3 more points in a season), and Ovechkin and Kucherov all time (in a tourney) with 2 and 5 more points respectively in worlds . (U18 and over combined)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
only ovechkin stands in Hughes way(with 3 more points in a season), and Ovechkin and Kucherov all time (in a tourney) with 2 and 5 more points respectively in worlds . (U18 and over combined)
The issue with this comparison - and such comparisons in general - is that Hughes's team is ridiculously stacked. Of course, the achievement still would stand. But the conclusions drawn need to be done with the context taken into account.

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
Slightly simplistic a way for looking at things. Kakko can playmake as well, and 16 assists in a Liiga season isn't bad. That's more assists per game than Jesperi Kotkaniemi had, for example. And Kotkaniemi's a playmaker through and through. Also, the point of the wraparound isn't necessarily to score, but what it does is it brings the puck to the net, after which there could be a scramble where a goal could be scored. Hundreds of goals get scored like this every year. I'm also not sure why scoring tap ins would be a negative...? If we consider the game 7 OT winners recently, weren't both tap ins? It's about being in the right place at the right time while separating from the defender, which is something related to hockey IQ.

simplistic? only as i dont want to over type and over post. I watch lots of hockey video and play, and trust me i turn a blind eye to if somebody is american, finish, or nigerian. These are only my opinions and is a hockey forum. These people are prospects and only can be prospected on until they prove themselves otherwise.

nobody knows how to be at the right place at the right time. You can get yourself open in a scoring area, on the opposite side of the goalie and "push off" at the right moment. But you depend on a solid pass, which in a scout application i help develop, actually gives sometimes more points to a person that made the scoring play, not the actual goal scorer! Imagine that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad