Who Would You Take First Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
It’s really not a debate. It’s going to be Jack Hughes. Who the rangers will take future 1st line winger Kakko or future first line D Byram is more of a debate

Reactions: Rgani1488

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
It’s really not a debate. It’s going to be Jack Hughes. Who the rangers will take future 1st line winger Kakko or future first line D Byram is more of a debate
Lmao, no it's not even close. We're taking Kakko. The gap between Hughes/Kakko is smaller than Hughes/Kakko and everyone else.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hughes will go first. The lead he had to start the year was too big to make up and hes going to break all kinds of U18 records.

Unless of course Kakko does the same at the worlds, but thats about as likely as Hughes dropping out of the top 2.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
kakko all day long. threads like these will look awfully funny in a few years (and that’s not to take anything away from hughes)
- says Kakko all day long, threads like this are funny

- says not to take anything from Hughes

This is like telling someone ‘no disrespect’ and then disrespecting them

Id imagine your expertise on hockey talent is in line with this type of failed thinking

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
- says Kakko all day long, threads like this are funny

- says not to take anything from Hughes

This is like telling someone ‘no disrespect’ and then disrespecting them

Id imagine your expertise on hockey talent is in line with this type of failed thinking

Take a look at the post previous to the one you quoted and this will make more sense to you.

Edit. I know you would have also called out that post by your fellow Devils fan had you read that first. Good for you!

2nd edit. Personally, I have no problem with what Martyowns said.

Last edited:

Mountlaine

Feb 8, 2018
Hughes will be a better regular season player and Kakko will be an absolute playoff monster. Question is will Hughes be like Gaudreau or like Kane in the playoffs?

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Hughes will be a better regular season player and Kakko will be an absolute playoff monster. Question is will Hughes be like Gaudreau or like Kane in the playoffs?

What on earth is this based on? Sure, Kakko was good in the playoffs this season, but I wouldn't extrapolate too much on that.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
I do kinda like the pivot away from Kakko > Hughes and towards "Kakko will be better in the playoffs".

Next week: Kakko will be better at home on Tuesdays

Reactions: Oneiro

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Didn't realize Hughes was drafted by Calgary and has been in the NHL already for years

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
I love how size instantly makes Kakko the better playoff player.

Some of you really don't understand hockey at all.

Mountlaine

Feb 8, 2018
I love how size instantly makes Kakko the better playoff player.

Some of you really don't understand hockey at all.
It's not about size. It's about how he plays the game. His style of play fits nicely to playoff hockey. But we'll see how it goes.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hughes is already taller and the same weight as Gaudreau at age 17. Why are we pretending that he’s Nathan Gerbe?

Gerbe is a tank despite being 3 feet tall.

Gaudreau is excellent at avoiding hard contact (He got smoked by Datsyuk as a rookie, but thats the only big hit I can remember him taking.)

Hughes has gotten lit up a few times this year - Thats where the size concerns come into play.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'm sure he won't learn anything and he'll continue to be lit up because these players coach themselves and never watch video.

Obviously, everything that happens now will continue to happen for the next decade.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Gerbe is a tank despite being 3 feet tall.

Gaudreau is excellent at avoiding hard contact (He got smoked by Datsyuk as a rookie, but thats the only big hit I can remember him taking.)

Hughes has gotten lit up a few times this year - Thats where the size concerns come into play.
The size concerns that are in your head, not anyone that is paid to scout these players.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The size concerns that are in your head, not anyone that is paid to scout these players.

... Except actual scouts have brought this up as a potential issue.

"The second point of contention around Hughes is his size and concerns around durability. This stems from scouts’ concerns over the combination of how fast he is, his frame and how often he gets hit."

Pronman: Why Jack Hughes is an elite NHL prospect

When small fast things get hit by bigger things, the outcome usually isn't good.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
... Except actual scouts have brought this up as a potential issue.

"The second point of contention around Hughes is his size and concerns around durability. This stems from scouts’ concerns over the combination of how fast he is, his frame and how often he gets hit."

Pronman: Why Jack Hughes is an elite NHL prospect

When small fast things get hit by bigger things, the outcome usually isn't good.
Im not sure there’s any correlation between size and durability. If anything Kakko trying to play his power game against NHL sized athletes at age 18 will lead to more injuries.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Im not sure there’s any correlation between size and durability. If anything Kakko trying to play his power game against NHL sized athletes at age 18 will lead to more injuries.

It may lead to him declining sooner than you'd want him to, but he doesn't get hit at full speed.

Hughes does - and thats concerning.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
My concern level is zero. And has he taken even one hit you’d consider significant in this tournament? Maybe he’s capable of fixing bad habits at age 17?

If we're going to judge on a few games against kids aged 16-18, sure. The larger body of work paints a better picture though.

And bad habits are really, really hard to break. Thats not to say that he can't and won't be able to break them, but to act like its not a concern is pretty ignorant tbh.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If we're going to judge on a few games against kids aged 16-18, sure. The larger body of work paints a better picture though.

And bad habits are really, really hard to break. Thats not to say that he can't and won't be able to break them, but to act like its not a concern is pretty ignorant tbh.
By “the larger body of work” you mean games when he was 14-16 (that you’ve definitely watched), yes? Because lol. He hasn’t taken many hits in this tournament which to you means nothing but you for damn sure would be using it as ammo against him if he was taking big hits.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
By “the larger body of work” you mean games when he was 14-16 (that you’ve definitely watched), yes? Because lol. He hasn’t taken many hits in this tournament which to you means nothing but you for damn sure would be using it as ammo against him if he was taking big hits.

Hits that he took this year.

You know that hes played more games than just the ones during the u18 and u20 (where he did get smoked and missed time because of it) right?

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Without Chara, Boston is the shortest team in the NHL. With Chara, they are 3rd shortest. Tampa is 2nd shortest, Colorado is 5th shortest. Meanwhile, Winnipeg is the tallest. Calgary 4th tallest, Anaheim 5th and Washington 6th tallest. What does all that tell us as far as regular season and playoff success? Exactly. Nothing at all.

Reactions: AgentBrodeur
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad