Who Would You Take First Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Weak draft. Hughes will go first and Kakko second for sure, which of them will be better is a whole different question. Also Byram could prove to be the best player of this draft.
I don't think it's weak at all and I don't see Byram being better than Hughes or Kakko. He has number 1 D potential but he isn't a Doughty level talent.

Reactions: CLW

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think this is more the Hischier-Patrick-Heiskanen situation than Stamkos and Doughty, that being the case maybe Byram doesn't have to reach so high spheres in order to be the best. The drafts also had Karlsson and Pettersson, though.

Reactions: d rake

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think this is more the Hischier-Patrick-Heiskanen situation than Stamkos and Doughty, that being the case maybe Byram doesn't have to reach so high spheres in order to be the best. The drafts also had Karlsson and Pettersson, though.
Hughes/Kakko are superior prospects to Patrick/Hischier, so I can't say that I agree with your comparison. I also don't see Byram on the same level as Heiskanen as a prospect, either.

Reactions: bl02 and vtdevils2k

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Hughes/Kakko are superior prospects to Patrick/Hischier, so I can't say that I agree with your comparison. I also don't see Byram on the same level as Heiskanen as a prospect, either.

Love, love Nico and he's perfect for what the Devils are trying to do and he's going to be a great one, but Hughes/Kakko are on different levels than Nico/Patrick.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
isn't it crazy that people who come on this board, implying that they have more than the average level of knowledge about the prospects of professional hockey - or at least have aspirations to learn more, and simultaneously call this a weak draft?
It has been widely regarded as a better than average draft, with two better than average 1-2 picks.
...not having a McDavid doesn't make it a weak draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think it's weak at all and I don't see Byram being better than Hughes or Kakko. He has number 1 D potential but he isn't a Doughty level talent.

I think the point was that the talent at the top of this draft is bunched up. There is no McDavid. There's not even a Dahlin, Matthews or Eichel. It'll be a matter of which similar level talent develops the best.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think the point was that the talent at the top of this draft is bunched up. There is no McDavid. There's not even a Dahlin, Matthews or Eichel. It'll be a matter of which similar level talent develops the best.
I guess I value Hughes/Kakko a bit higher than yourself then? I know you don't have either in your top 3, oddly enough.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The skill level and potential is equivalent in my eyes, but there’s no way a US team doesn’t take the American. It’s just intelligent marketing.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, pretty even in my view. Hughes is crazily skilled and fast, but then again Kakko is hugely impressive with his combination of physical presence and skill. As a Finn I guess I'm bound to go for Kakko...

Reactions: NinjaKick

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Hughes. He has top iq in my eyes.
Hockey is getting faster and faster so you need good head and skating.
Hughes got both.

Kakko is impressive, but dont see him as good as his game seems to selfish at this point and those macig passes are missing

Though I am sure both will have good career If not injured.

Hughes 75+ player. Kakko 60-75pts.
And, they might be better or worse :D

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Hughes. He has top iq in my eyes.
Hockey is getting faster and faster so you need good head and skating.
Hughes got both.

Kakko is impressive, but dont see him as good as his game seems to selfish at this point and those macig passes are missing

Though I am sure both will have good career If not injured.

Hughes 75+ player. Kakko 60-75pts.
And, they might be better or worse :D
Not really sure where this ”selfish Kakko” shit has come from. Half the season he overpassed it and once he starts scoring he’s selfish?

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
On those about 15 games I have seen he has been quite selfish.
It could be junior stupidity or he just does not see openings for passes, aka lack of top hockey iq.

Maby you dont see it?
Yea I think he hangs on to the puck for long, but I think it’s because he always wants to give that perfect backdoor pass and doesn’t play it simple. Could be IQ, but I think it’s most likely the mentality of a skilled junior

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I absolutely love his IQ, skills and skating so I'd select Hughes first, but it's not like Kakko would be a bad pick too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad