Who would you start a team with? Three young stars.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Meh, bad year from him as he was injured. He was much much much better then Reilly last year, I am sure his game will come back around after his surgury.
Rielly's a 1D with the best P/60 powerplay production by a dman in 10 years so idk bout that

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Oilers number one, Calgary at the bottom. The rest are interchangeable. No offense to the flames trio but when your only elite piece of the three is a small winger it's going to be rough going.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Matthews, Nylander and Reilly 21.5 mil (used a baseline of 6.5 for nylander and 10 for matthews, matthews a complete guess and nylander pretty reasltic.
McDavid, Draisaitl and Klefbom- 25.1 mil
Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad - 19.3 mil
Gaudreau, Monahan and Hamilton - 18.875 mil
Scheifele, Laine, and Trouba - 20.625 mil ( trouba used a baseline of 6 and laine 8.5 idk just a complete guess for laine trouba is a bit mroe realistic)
Mackinnon, Rantanen and Barrie 18.8 mil (rants placeholder contract 7 mil longterm, roughly what pasta is getting a bit more but cap is increasing) also barrie is not signed long term.

some cap projections.

all in all id say jets for leafs, the mix between caphit and talent is the best of the bunch imho.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Looking at these trios, nearly all flawed at one or two positions, it really makes me appreciate Toews, Kane, Keith and Kopitar, Doughty, Quick.

member 300185

Marner, Kadri and Rielly
Bergeron, Marchand and Krug
Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Carlson
J hockey, Mono and Giordano
Sheifele, Laine and Trouba
Crosby, Malkin and Letting

I go with the Leafs for youth. In their primes I go with Crosby, Malkin and Letang. Also, you could do this type of thread with top 6 and 9. Top 2 or 4. Teams are usually deeper in one area.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
It’s very easily: Point, Kucherov, Sergachev

and to think so many other players are in their 20s for that team, too.. nuts

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Matthews, Nylander and Reilly 21.5 mil (used a baseline of 6.5 for nylander and 10 for matthews, matthews a complete guess and nylander pretty reasltic.
McDavid, Draisaitl and Klefbom- 25.1 mil
Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad - 19.3 mil
Gaudreau, Monahan and Hamilton - 18.875 mil
Scheifele, Laine, and Trouba - 20.625 mil ( trouba used a baseline of 6 and laine 8.5 idk just a complete guess for laine trouba is a bit mroe realistic)
Mackinnon, Rantanen and Barrie 18.8 mil (rants placeholder contract 7 mil longterm, roughly what pasta is getting a bit more but cap is increasing) also barrie is not signed long term.

some cap projections.

all in all id say jets for leafs, the mix between caphit and talent is the best of the bunch imho.

Your guesses on salary indicates that you believe McDavid and Dria are far superior to the Leafs duo. Is Rielly that much better than Nurse, Larrson, or Klefbom. I haven't watched a lot of Leafs' games this year.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Your guesses on salary indicates that you believe McDavid and Dria are far superior to the Leafs duo. Is Rielly that much better than Nurse, Larrson, or Klefbom. I haven't watched a lot of Leafs' games this year.
i might be biased, but rielly is a 1#d through and through, not only can he put up points at will, but he has positive advanced stats playing some of the hardest minutes in the nhl.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If you were looking at starting a team, and you could pick a young center winger and defensemen, which would they be?

Matthews, Nylander and Reilly
McDavid, Draisaitl and Klefbom
Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad
Gaudreau, Monahan and Hamilton
Scheifele, Laine, and Trouba
Mackinnon, Rantanen and Barrie

Or is there another young center, winger and defense that you would start your team with? Interested to see what everyone's picks are and their reasons why

Out of that list, I’d probably build around the trio of MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Barrie. MacKinnon likely has the best ‘value’ contract in the league right now at a 6.5 million cap hit for the next 6 years. Given that he’d be the ‘alpha’ of this team, I don’t think a guy like Rantanen will earn more than MacKinnon. Young guys coming up on this imaginary team wouldn’t earn more than 6.5 million, and this would give this team a good number of years to build some incredibly deep cup winning teams (signing core pieces to long term deals with an extremely friendly cap hit).

Think: Chicago and LA before those 10.5 million dollar contracts handed out to Toews, Kane, and Kopitar.

Obviously - guys like McDavid, Matthews, etc., would be nice, but those stupendous cap hits might affect those teams from having great depth.

I compare it to the years between 2010-2015 when teams like Pittsburgh and Washington (Crosby and Ovechkin lead teams) couldn’t compare to Chicago and LA.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Given age, production and contract id argue Morgan Rielly is also the best dman here.

A ranked quality of competition with 2.7% corsi rel is among the best of the best
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-usage-of-every-teams-number-1-defenceman.2465501/page-2
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/what-number-d-is-morgan-rielly-this-season.2465389/page-4

Not only that but is 13th in ppg among dman, and is one of the best puck recovers and zone exists on d(per last year but hes only gotten better since)
Which defencemen are the best at exiting the zone? - Sportsnet.ca

And hes only singed for 5 mil....

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Rielly has really stepped his game up. By next season it wouldn't be a shock to have a consensus that hes a top 15 defender. He's much better than those Oilers dmen.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Devil's. Advocate:
I would not pick the McDavid trio because it actually does exist and it's unsuccessful. And it's mentally fragile at this point. Three guys who have won all the tournies their junior careers, now to play with zero fire.

Uhhh.... what?!?

ALL of these trios exist and NONE of them have won anything yet. So how can you even begin to make your argument?

It gets even worse for you. That Oilers trio has 1 playoff series and 7 playoff wins to its credit. The only other trio with any playoff success was FLA (and ironically, they were out of the playoffs that next year too... just like the Oil).

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
He’s had more points than him this year and last

Last year in his 3rd NHL season he managed to put up 8 more points (11 less goals) while playing mainly on McDavid's wing than Matthews playing Centre for his entire rookie season.

This season Draisaitl has 67 points in 72 games while Matthews has 52 points in 55 games (5 more goals in 17 less game played), Matthews has a slightly higher PPG than Draistaitl this seasons.

You would think having the benefit of playing with the about to be back to back Art Ross Trophy winner for past 2 seasons would inflate your stats a little correct?

Do you think the the Leafs are a better team today if they swap Matthews for Draistaitl?

Reactions: bionic

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Sorry to burst your bubble but Dermott has 1 career goal and is no way and shape projected to be a number 1 dman on any team in Nhl. He will be an AHL and Nhl tweener at best.

You know what's funny? Dermotts 13 points in 32 games allows him to outpace ANY Oilers Dmen. That includes your Klefbom, Nurse and etc.

And no he doesn't play on the powerplay.

If he's a tweener, what are your guys?

Reactions: bionic

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
i might be biased, but rielly is a 1#d through and through, not only can he put up points at will, but he has positive advanced stats playing some of the hardest minutes in the nhl.

No argument with Reilly, but the point he's making is that you have Matthews coming in 1.5M less than Drai. Clearly the Leafs will try to go max term, so what is the basis that he'd make so much less? And if he's making that much less, doesn't that imply that Draisaitl is a better player?

In short, you can't suck and blow at the same time. To me it's

McDavid vs ______ (Leafs trio don't have a comparable)
Draisaitl <= Matthews (keeping in mind Drai outscored him last year, and they are same in ppg this year)
Klefbom << Reilly
______ ~ Marner

Draisaitl and Matthews are a fair fight, but we have an entire franchise player on top of that. If you insisted on the player vs player comparison, it doesn't favor leafs.

McDavid >>> Matthews (I'm sorry, but it isn't close and Matthews is not on pace for a 100 point season)
Draisaitl > Marner (I might even add an >, but this is a clear win given size and position)
Klefbom (this year) << Reilly

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Last year in his 3rd NHL season he managed to put up 8 more points (11 less goals) while playing mainly on McDavid's wing than Matthews playing Centre for his entire rookie season.

This season Draisaitl has 67 points in 72 games while Matthews has 52 points in 55 games (5 more goals in 17 less game played), Matthews has a slightly higher PPG than Draistaitl this seasons.

You would think having the benefit of playing with the about to be back to back Art Ross Trophy winner for past 2 seasons would inflate your stats a little correct?

Do you think the the Leafs are a better team today if they swap Matthews for Draistaitl?

Drai has been centering some combo of Jujar Khaira, Lucic, Caggiula, Slepyshev & 35 year old Cammalleri for the majority of this season. Anyone who has been paying attention KNOWS that he creates offense on his own for even the dregs of NHL wingers.

To answer your question honestly... I still take Matthews because I'm expecting him to kick it up a notch when he's healthy... but to say that Drai and he are not in the same conversation as elite #1C's is disingenuous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad