Who would you start a team with? Three young stars.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Some weird little thing called point production. You know, having more points both Seasons and Playoffs.

Yes, he had 8 more points last season while playing a decent amount of time as McDavid's winger. You convinced me that 8 points is better than the 11 more goals that Matthews had in his rookie season as a #1 C on his team while playing mainly with 2 other rookies.

Draisaitl has yet to prove he can be a good #2 C which has the benefit of playing behind McDavid. Would you care to place a wager on who will have more playoff points this season?

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
I should have been more clear,
One center, winger and defense.
All from the same team ahaha

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Yes, he had 8 more points last season while playing a decent amount of time as McDavid's winger. You convinced me that 8 points is better than the 11 more goals that Matthews had in his rookie season as a #1 C on his team while playing mainly with 2 other rookies.

Draisaitl has yet to prove he can be a good #2 C which has the benefit of playing behind McDavid. Would you care to place a wager on who will have more playoff points this season?
He was not #1 Center last year... at all.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Devil's. Advocate:
I would not pick the McDavid trio because it actually does exist and it's unsuccessful. And it's mentally fragile at this point. Three guys who have won all the tournies their junior careers, now to play with zero fire.

I'm not following? All OP's trios exist, no? and none of them have won much. No young trio has won a cup, even outside of the list in the OP.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Matthews? After his 4 goal first game, do you think the opposition coaching staff where trying to figure out how to contain Bozak or Kadri's lines?

Austin Matthews was absolutely the Leafs top C last year and every team they played knew it and game planed for it.
Nope, check use and QOC he was sheltered last year.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
You're right

Goaltending this season has nothing to do with the differences in standings between the 2 clubs....

Really, with how thin the depth is in Edmonton you think the only difference is the fact that Freddy is better than Talbot?

McDavid is far an away better than any Leaf however the Leafs are more talented and deeper at forward and D compared to the Oilers, that is the difference in the standings.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Really, with how thin the depth is in Edmonton you think the only difference is the fact that Freddy is better than Talbot?

McDavid is far an away better than any Leaf however the Leafs are more talented and deeper at forward and D compared to the Oilers, that is the difference in the standings.

What changed from last year then?
Crap seasons and injuries happen, no of course it is not just Goaltending, but it helps a ton. Talbot last year played like Andersen this year and that helps your team out a lot. There are many factors at play. Just like how the Leafs went from barely making the playoffs and losing in first round to a top team this year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nurse > Klefbom

Nurse has actually been really good this year, the only D man I can say that about on the Oilers.

Reactions: McTrashBoat

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What about Bear? I know it's a small sample but I like his game

He’s pretty decent eh?

Good puck mover, heck of a shot, and comfortable as a PPQB. Needs to work on his foot speed and defensive play, but the upside is there I think.

I’d like him to have another year in the AHL, but given how weak we are on the right side defensively, he’ll force his way into the lineup.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He’s pretty decent eh?

Good puck mover, heck of a shot, and comfortable as a PPQB. Needs to work on his foot speed and defensive play, but the upside is there I think.

I’d like him to have another year in the AHL, but given how weak we are on the right side defensively, he’ll force his way into the lineup.
yeah I don't think he's on Nurse's level yet, but his impact on the powerplay should be good for you guys next year. his upside is nice, and you can't go wrong with a puck moving defenseman with a great shot in today's league.

Reactions: snipes

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think it's kind of unfair to some teams here including the Leafs because we have 4 guys that are "young stars" in Marner, Nylander, Matthews and Rielly. We also have Dermott who many of us are expecting to become a potential top pairing/ #1 Dman and he's only 21 too.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
I think it's kind of unfair to some teams here including the Leafs because we have 4 guys that are "young stars" in Marner, Nylander, Matthews and Rielly. We also have Dermott who many of us are expecting to become a potential top pairing/ #1 Dman and he's only 21 too.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Dermott has 1 career goal and is no way and shape projected to be a number 1 dman on any team in Nhl. He will be an AHL and Nhl tweener at best.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Sorry to burst your bubble but Dermott has 1 career goal and is no way and shape projected to be a number 1 dman on any team in Nhl. He will be an AHL and Nhl tweener at best.

Whatever makes you happy, sunshine. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad