Speculation: Who would you pick at 4-6

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have no problem getting the NYI's 2015 because I think there's a great chance they finish somewhere in the bottom 7. To come away with a combo of Eichel/Kylington, McDavid/Hanifin, or even Barzal/Konecny would still be awesome, and preferable to picking 4-6 this year IMO.

I think the best case scenario for us this draft would be for the Islanders to keep on tankin'

1. Buf- Ekblad
2. Edm- Reinhart
3. Buf/NYI- Bennett

With Snow saying they'll keep the pick if it's top 3, I hope they find out a way to get passed by the Oilers and guarantee a top 3 pick.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'd pick Dal Colle or Ehlers, but if Murray picked Draisaitl I'd be happy and intrigued by his potential.

I think NYI is about to drop off and finish in 28th or 29th place, so that would really put them in a tough spot. Snow would most likely keep the pick, play that player and add to the roster and try to move up in the standings next season. With some teams probably going the Buffalo route next season, I wouldn't be surprised to see NYI make it up to around the #10-12 draft position. Then the NHL decides to leave the draft lottery alone, NYI's chances of winning are bad, Buffalo gets knocked down a spot and picks #3-5, and then #11-13...leaving many fans underwhelmed with the results.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Agreed.

Basically, as long as we get a top 3 pick this year (pretty much a certainty) and a top 5 pick next year, I would call these two years a "success" as far as re-stocking the cupboard for a rebuild.

Agreed. If the Isles give us this years or next years (Nearly guarantee top 10) That would be 2 top 5 picks, and 2 top 10 picks being conservative. In addition to the amount of picks outside the top 10 that we have had we are really setting ourselves up for the future.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Agreed. If the Isles give us this years or next years (Nearly guarantee top 10) That would be 2 top 5 picks, and 2 top 10 picks being conservative. In addition to the amount of picks outside the top 10 that we have had we are really setting ourselves up for the future.

Yeah, the way I see it, I think the Isles are setting us up nicely to get the same kind of prospect.

A 4/5/6 pick this year might wind up being roughly equivalent to a 7/8/9 pick next year.

Even our worst case scenario sees us adding 2 probable top 6 guys and then another top 6 forward or a top 4 defenseman.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
When did he say that?

A couple of weeks ago he was talking about it and he said something like if it's top 3 they are keeping the pick, if it's 4 to 7 it's a coin toss to keep it, and if it's 8+ they are giving it up.

And right now they sit in the 4th (or if they get jumped in the lottery, the 5th spot) and are only two points ahead/behind Edmonton for the 2nd slot pre-lottery.....

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
A couple of weeks ago he was talking about it and he said something like if it's top 3 they are keeping the pick, if it's 4 to 7 it's a coin toss to keep it, and if it's 8+ they are giving it up.

And right now they sit in the 4th (or if they get jumped in the lottery, the 5th spot) and are only two points ahead/behind Edmonton for the 2nd slot pre-lottery.....

Was this the sportsnet interview? I remember people interpreting it that way, but he never actually used those words. What he actually said was that it was going to be a high pick and they were going to have to make a decision based on what his scouts told him.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Was this the sportsnet interview? I remember people interpreting it that way, but he never actually used those words. What he actually said was that it was going to be a high pick and they were going to have to make a decision based on what his scouts told him.

This is accurate if based on the Sportsnet 590 interview. He didn't give exact places/picks if he would give up or defer. This is the same interview that he first said they had until June 1st to make a decision.

I know there are other interviews with Snow after that, which may have given more insight though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I take Draisaitl at 4. Ehlers after that and a toss up between Ritchie, Kapanen and McCann after that. Ehlers is probably the cut off for me though where I'm disappointed the Islanders didn't defer. Not that I dislike Ritchie or Kapanen but there are too many question marks at that point. You even have to start looking at Fleury as a possibility at that point.

Nice list. I like Ehlers a touch more than Draisaitl at that point, but pretty close to what I would like if the Islanders are giving it up.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
so what's the knock on Ehlers? Playing with Drouin?

Except that he doesnt always play with Drouin. Hes on the 2nd line even strength but does play 1st PP unit with Drouin.

I would say probably size/strength is the knock on Ehlers. Otherwise he has a lot of talent. Great skater with speed, good stickhandler, good shot, good vision, and has a high work ethic and will to compete.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I lean towards Ehlers at this moment. It changes frequently, though
He has the Erik Karlsson body going for him which is why he isn't lumped in with Sam(2) and Draisaitl. He's probably not as elite skating wise as the Swede (no one is) but he's pretty damn close. He's a guy that could shoot to the top after the playoffs and after the combine. If physicians or whoever determine he has the body type to get up to Jeff Skinner level of muscle then it could help his position.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
Ehler with 6 points in the first two games of the playoffs is looking pretty damn good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad