Speculation: Who would you pick at 4-6

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Due to our depth on wing being relatively lacking. Assuming we draft Reinhart/Bennett, our center depth is looking pretty good with Reinhart/Bennett, Hodgson, Grigorenko, Girgensons (if the plan to use him at center is still a go), Larsson, Compher, Hurley and potentially a top center in next years draft, though we shouldn't be drafting based future possibility.

I think in this situation, Murray looks to add a highly touted winger and Dal Colle and Ehlers are just that. Dal Colle has top line LW potential IMO.

Just my opinion though, I wouldn't be unhappy with Drais at all. Do you guys think the drop off from Draisatl to Dal Colle is that drastic? Because I don't see it. I actually like Dal Colle's game more.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Due to our depth on wing being relatively lacking. Assuming we draft Reinhart/Bennett, our center depth is looking pretty good with Reinhart/Bennett, Hodgson, Grigorenko, Girgensons (if the plan to use him at center is still a go), Larsson, Compher, Hurley and potentially a top center in next years draft, though we shouldn't be drafting based future possibility.

I think in this situation, Murray looks to add a highly touted winger and Dal Colle and Ehlers are just that. Dal Colle has top line LW potential IMO.

Just my opinion though, I wouldn't be unhappy with Drais at all. Do you guys think the drop off from Draisatl to Dal Colle is that drastic? Because I don't see it.

Hodgson wants to stick on this team, he's going to stick on the wing IMO. Draisaitl is my no. 1 forward, so you know how I'm going to answer that last question.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hodgson wants to stick on this team, he's going to stick on the wing IMO. Draisaitl is my no. 1 forward, so you know how I'm going to answer that last question.

Fair enough. I hadn't really considered the possibility of Hodgson as a long-term winger. I'm admittedly a bit of an Ehlers fan boy and I really really like what Dal Colle brings, so my opinion is a bit biased too.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
My dream for 2014:

small.png
from NYI - Aaron Ekblad

small.png
- Sam Reinhart

small.png
from EDM - Sam Bennett

The Islanders freak out about the 5 year average thing and opt to give the Sabres the pick this year even after winning the lottery.

The Oilers freak out after Ekblad goes first to Buffalo and trades the 3rd pick in a deal for Tyler Myers.

I would sooooo buy that 1, 2, 3 pick card with all three picks to Buffalo.

I've Proposed the same thing multiple times.

Myers to Edmonton, even it out on Edmonton's side as necessary.

As far as the Isles go, entice them to make it this year. Would our 2nd round pick this year (Pick #31) be enough? If we get St Louis' first this year???? Would a guy like Weber do it? Would we have to pony up a Foligno to make them give us their top 3 pick?

Reality? Pipe dream?

Looking at the deals separately.....why wouldn't Edm do it? Myers is exactly the type/age/position player they need. Most of their fan base/GM says rebuild over, they need to start taking strides forward. Would we do it? Erhoff is staying so add to him Risto, Zadrov, Pysyk, McCabe and Ekblad.....wouldn't that group be enough depth to entertain moving Myers???? Besides #10, they're all younger than Myers.

As far as the Islanders, they have to give us one or the other (14 vs 15), so let's make sure we get it this year. We sweeten it for Snow, he doesn't look so bad.

Walk out with Reinhart, Bennett and Ekblad. Does that not really address high end, elite openings we have???? We will still have a high pick next year to add another elite talent.

Defense in two years:

Erhoff - Pysyk
Risto - Zadrov
Ekblad - McCabe

The above potential.....drool.

Reinhart/Bennett/Girgs/Larson/Ennis/CoHo/1st 2015/Armia/Grigs.....

I'd do it. Top three picks this year would be awesome!!!! Boy, it would take some balls to pull off but we have the ammo, and the reasons to do it!!!!!

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
As far as the Isles go, entice them to make it this year. Would our 2nd round pick this year (Pick #31) be enough? If we get St Louis' first this year???? Would a guy like Weber do it? Would we have to pony up a Foligno to make them give us their top 3 pick?

Murray is on record saying that he's comfortable getting the Isles pick either year and he's unwilling to give them something to get the pick this year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Issue with your pipe dream:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...thoughts-canucks-brass-must-resist-panic.html

If EDM wants a defenseman, then they trade for Ekblad if we picked him first.

BUF:
Ekblad

EDM:
2014 1st Rnd + ?

What if the price Murray puts on Ekblad is waaaay higher than his high price for Myers?

Honestly, I expect that the Oilers don't value Myers nearly as much as Murray does, so no deal would happen.

I was just throwing it out there on the fact that it would be cool if Murray were able to wheel and deal to get the top 3 picks.

My real dream is the Isles keeping the pick this year and the Sabres win the lottery with the Isles pick next year and get 1 & 2 in 2015. I think that is every Sabres fan's pipe dream.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
What if the price Murray puts on Ekblad is waaaay higher than his high price for Myers?

Honestly, I expect that the Oilers don't value Myers nearly as much as Murray does, so no deal would happen.

I was just throwing it out there on the fact that it would be cool if Murray were able to wheel and deal to get the top 3 picks.

My real dream is the Isles keeping the pick this year and the Sabres win the lottery with the Isles pick next year and get 1 & 2 in 2015. I think that is every Sabres fan's pipe dream.

I posted too fast...

Yeah, it would be but I think Myers price is too high. He is the type of player Murray adores (fast, puck mover, chips in on offense). Which is why I think Ekblad would be the target from the EDM side, as Myers price is too high from what we can see/tell. Friedman said as much in his latest 30 thoughts:

Asked about other teams being interested in Tyler Myers, Murray said there was no offer remotely close enough to make him consider dealing either Myers or Christian Ehrhoff. The GM added the "cap recapture" possibilities at the end of Ehrhoff's contract (eg., a $10-million penalty if he retires with one year remaining) are a concern and affect trade scenarios.

Here's my real life scenario, which I think has a possibility of happening, lottery balls aside and NYI taking 2014:

BUF - SR or SB
NYI - SR or SB
EDM - Ekblad

I think there is a real possibility we hold that Ekblad hostage from EDM, making them overpay for him with my trade above, the + would be the overpayment.

Then it would go:
BUF 1st - for EDM 3rd pick + ?
EDM picks Ekblad

NYI 1st - SR or SB
BUF - SR or SB

We wouldn't hold our fate in the choosing SR or SB. I think its more likely we trade our 1st to EDM if it were: BUF - EDM - NYI though as we hold the choice between the Sam's.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If the 5 year averaging thing goes into effect, the Isles are never gonna defer. They know they're likely getting a top five pick next year with that rule in place.

Say hello to Reinhart and Dal Colle if that rule goes into effect.

I've been thinking about this, as well, since the rumored--and, given the level of self-interest involved in the McDavid/Eichel draft, probable--changes to the draft lottery. I've always been of the position that there was no way the Isles were giving up a top-5 or 6 pick in the 2014 draft. My feeling was that Garth/Wang would get the financial assistance from the Brooklyn group to make some FA signings and cobble together a 10th-15th place team next year. But with the new system in which they would've had several bottom-5 finishes contemplated in their lottery percentage, it would be much more reckless of Snow to relinquish his 2015 draft pick. I'm now of the opinion that if he's top-4, he'll more likely than not take the pick--I imagine he'll really like one of the non-Big Three (comprised of Ekblad and The Sams). Outside the top-4, though, I could see him giving us the pick.

Also, if we get the #1 pick and the #5 pick from the Isles, I'd bet my bottom dollar we draft Ekblad at #1 and pick Murray's favorite remaining forward at #5. The risk in that is if the Sams and Draisaitl go 2,3,4 and we don't get a projected 1C out of this draft. Under that scenario, we may get screwed next year if/when there's a new lottery system.

EDIT: I just read the formula in the other thread. Nevermind. But my position remains that if we get #1 and #5 this year, we'll take Ekblad #1.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
One thing is for certain, the shuffling between the 2nd and 5th slots in the lottery between now and the end of the season is going to be really interesting with 4 pts separating 2nd from 5th today.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I've been thinking about this, as well, since the rumored--and, given the level of self-interest involved in the McDavid/Eichel draft, probable--changes to the draft lottery. I've always been of the position that there was no way the Isles were giving up a top-5 or 6 pick in the 2014 draft. My feeling was that Garth/Wang would get the financial assistance from the Brooklyn group to make some FA signings and cobble together a 10th-15th place team next year. But with the new system in which they would've had several bottom-5 finishes contemplated in their lottery percentage, it would be much more reckless of Snow to relinquish his 2015 draft pick. I'm now of the opinion that if he's top-4, he'll more likely than not take the pick--I imagine he'll really like one of the non-Big Three (comprised of Ekblad and The Sams). Outside the top-4, though, I could see him giving us the pick.

Also, if we get the #1 pick and the #5 pick from the Isles, I'd bet my bottom dollar we draft Ekblad at #1 and pick Murray's favorite remaining forward at #5. The risk in that is if the Sams and Draisaitl go 2,3,4 and we don't get a projected 1C out of this draft. Under that scenario, we may get screwed next year if/when there's a new lottery system.

EDIT: I just read the formula in the other thread. Nevermind. But my position remains that if we get #1 and #5 this year, we'll take Ekblad #1.

I am with you on this. I think NYI keep if top 3 and defer if anything else. I think Reinhart/Bennett/Ekblad are a tier up on the 2nd group of forwards.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
If we do get two top 5 picks, I am fine drafting Ekblad first, if that's who Murray/Devine feel is BPA overall. Despite all the premature hysterics, we are very likely going to get a franchise forward in 2015.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
If we do get two top 5 picks, I am fine drafting Ekblad first, if that's who Murray/Devine feel is BPA overall. Despite all the premature hysterics, we are very likely going to get a franchise forward in 2015.

I'm of the same opinion. I think some people forget that Ekblad was the first defencemen granted exceptional status so he could play as an underage player in the OHL.

I look at the next two drafts as two attempts to get those franchise type players that every team needs to be successful, so if Ekblad is BPA, then you take him if the Sabres get the first pick. As Murray himself might say, the Sabres are a last place team, they need help everywhere.

As for who the Sabres should pick if they get a second pick in the 1st round in the 4-6 range, I'd draft Ehlers.

Last edited:

Buckst3r

Jul 26, 2013
Dallas, GA
Would still rather a Sam and another elite forward. I agree that we have needs everywhere but I'm sure it's agreed upon that we have a pretty deep pool of defensive prospects. I'm pretty sure Ekblad was the first defenceman to be granted exceptional player status. If we draft him first he'd better be of Shea Weber status and even he was drafted 49th.

I've watched Ekblad play a bit but I'm curious as to whom you guys would compare him to.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I would like to to take 2 forwards if we end up with the Islanders pick this year. If possible I would like to end up with both Bennett and Reinhart. If we cant trade up to make this happen, I prefer these three in order of preference....Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Ehlers.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Under the assumption Reinhart, Bennett and Ekblad are gone:

Draisaitl
Ritchie
Ehlers

In that order. Although Ehlers potential playoff performance could have me vault him past Ritchie and maybe to the top of that list.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
I have no problem getting the NYI's 2015 because I think there's a great chance they finish somewhere in the bottom 7. To come away with a combo of Eichel/Kylington, McDavid/Hanifin, or even Barzal/Konecny would still be awesome, and preferable to picking 4-6 this year IMO.

I think the best case scenario for us this draft would be for the Islanders to keep on tankin'

1. Buf- Ekblad
2. Edm- Reinhart
3. Buf/NYI- Bennett

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad