Speculation: Who would you pick at 4-6

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
For fun lets say the Islanders are sitting at pick 4-6 and give us the pick. Who would you take and why?
If the Sabres were to take a Sam with the first pick, I would like to see them take a chance with Ehlers. I know it might seem like a risk, but achieving what he has as a rookie is pretty impressive.
If the Sabres take Ekblad with their first pick I would like to see them go a safer route and take Draisaitl if both Sams are off the board.
Who would you pick?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Nick Ritchie. I'd take him before Dal Colle.

If we nabbed a legit center like Reinhart or Bennett he could turn into a big time goal scoring power forward.

He needs to lose some weight before the draft to show he is committed, but so did Doughty.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Nick Ritchie. I'd take him before Dal Colle.

If we nabbed a legit center like Reinhart or Bennett he could turn into a big time goal scoring power forward.

He needs to lose some weight before the draft to show he is committed, but so did Doughty.

Ritchie makes me nervous. He has the toolbox to be a monster but I think it's more likely he just becomes a solid power forward like Dustin Penner. I wouldn't mind having that of course but I'm really high on Ehlers.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Ritchie makes me nervous. He has the toolbox to be a monster but I think it's more likely he just becomes a solid power forward like Dustin Penner. I wouldn't mind having that of course but I'm really high on Ehlers.

I am pretty sure if his development doesn't go great his lower end is around Penner. He has more of a mean streak and is a better goal scorer. But if his development goes good I could see a 30-30 guy. I like him, I also liked his brother more then most as well.

ZeroPT*

Basically this. I'd also consider Nylander if possible. Ehlers and Nylander are quick,have great hockey sense and are excellent offensive players. Exactly what Buffalo/Tim Murray want/need

Eichel

Chicago Buffaloes
Mar 19, 2013
I see Ekblad and the two Sam's going top 3, so my next choices would be Draisaitl, Dal Colle, and then Nylander.

Honestly it would surprise if NYI didn't keep their pick this year, although Reinhart and Draisaitl would be dope

ZeroPT*

Whichever Sam is left on the board.
They'll likely be long gone

I see Ekblad and the two Sam's going top 3, so my next choices would be Draisaitl, Dal Colle, and then Nylander.

Honestly it would surprise if NYI didn't keep their pick this year, although Reinhart and Draisaitl would be dope

I'm thinking with these rumoured lottery changes the Isles will want to give us this years pick. Next year's top end is glorious and with these lotto shuffles.. you never know, that pick might be in even more danger of being McDavid,Eichel or Barzal.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I'd try to nab Dal Colle first and foremost, assuming that both Sam's and Ekblad are off the board as the top 3. Getting a top 6 Center and then a top 6 winger at the top of one draft would be awesome.

I would have a lot of interest in nylander a few picks later in the first but I don't think he fits Murray's rebuild plans as a player he'd draft in the first round, plus I don't think he'll even be available later than 10 but who knows. I'm really high on Alex Tuch from the US-NTDP though..I'm REALLYYY hoping we can pick this guy up with the St. Louis 1st rounder (if we get it) or trade a 2nd and a 1st to move up and take him...read up on him if you haven't - huge power forward with skill and wreaks havoc.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Curious as to why not? You seem to have a good grasp of prospects and I thought you'd love Willer :laugh:

I just think at the Islanders pick you are going to have at least 1/2/3 better options.

Nylander might be the most talented player in the draft, but while he is talented I think a similarly talented player like Ehlers is a better option. I would consider Nylander a big time risk/reward pick and when we already have Grigo and Armia as those guys in our organization I just think we need to get a guy that is going to as close to a sure thing as we can.

I would draft Nylander, but I could consider it until later then 4/5.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I just think at the Islanders pick you are going to have at least 1/2/3 better options.

Nylander might be the most talented player in the draft, but while he is talented I think a similarly talented player like Ehlers is a better option. I would consider Nylander a big time risk/reward pick and when we already have Grigo and Armia as those guys in our organization I just think we need to get a guy that is going to as close to a sure thing as we can.

I would draft Nylander, but I could consider it until later then 4/5.

Yupper. Nylander would be another Grigorenko project. No one would have the patience for him haha.

Eichel

Chicago Buffaloes
Mar 19, 2013
I'm thinking with these rumoured lottery changes the Isles will want to give us this years pick. Next year's top end is glorious and with these lotto shuffles.. you never know, that pick might be in even more danger of being McDavid,Eichel or Barzal.

I'm guessing if NYI finishes with Top 5 or higher, there's no way we get their pick, even with all the talent in next years draft. It will be interesting come draft time to see what happens especially if NYI finishes 6-10

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm guessing if NYI finishes with Top 5 or higher, there's no way we get their pick, even with all the talent in next years draft. It will be interesting come draft time to see what happens especially if NYI finishes 6-10

Surprisingly, I think it might come down to how highly the NYI scouts value a guy like Draisatl or Dal Colle.

I don't think we see the pick this year if the Isles get a top 3 pick.

If the Isles finish 4th or 5th, then I think it comes down to what their scouts say about LD or MDC.

I really can't see them NOT giving us their pick if it's 6th-10th.

ZeroPT*

disagree. If that pick is top 4 they definitely keep it. But if that pick is #5 I think they give it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad