Who would the Kings protect in an expansion draft?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
They SHOULD!!!

In an expansion year, there should be an additional round tacked onto the entry draft. In this theoretical "eighth round", every team that lost a player to the expansion draft should be allowed a pick in this round ..... one player lost = one pick gained......

Why? Once there are 32 teams in the league there will be an extra 14 players picked in the first 7 rounds. So the draft talent pool will already be extended

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
They SHOULD!!!

In an expansion year, there should be an additional round tacked onto the entry draft. In this theoretical "eighth round", every team that lost a player to the expansion draft should be allowed a pick in this round ..... one player lost = one pick gained......

So compensation = an 8th round pick? What's the point.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
They SHOULD!!!

The expansion draft doesn't hurt teams as much as one might think. It does if the team does stupid stuff like the Kings have done in the past. But every team would lose 2 players for 2 teams most likely. And each team is allowed to carry 50 total contracts. It hurts depth some.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The expansion draft doesn't hurt teams as much as one might think. It does if the team does stupid stuff like the Kings have done in the past. But every team would lose 2 players for 2 teams most likely. And each team is allowed to carry 50 total contracts. It hurts depth some.

If the league has regulations regarding exposing some players who have played X number of games, etc. then in a cap world it could actually help some teams. Last expansion draft expansion teams had to take at least two player from the other 26 NHL teams (Nashville and Atlanta were fully protected due to being new members of the league). As well, at least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.

As such, if DL really wanted to unload Brown's contract, he could make it so he exposes Brown and Greene and makes the other options total scrubs with one meeting the criteria, thus forcing the expansion teams to either take total crap, or eat a bad contract for a decent player.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The point is, no team loses numbers, just experience & payroll.

Well even under your scenario you lose numbers. Each team loses two players but gets one 8th back. That's a minus one by my count.

Secondly, you are just replacing a number for the sake of it. There's no point in that.

Thirdly, don't forget teams are already well compensated in the expansion process. The expansion team pays an expansion fee to even get into the league, with each team getting a portion of that.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771938

Bettman indicated that an expansion fee would be at least $500 million to be distributed among the existing clubs.

It doesn't say if it's equal distribution or even full distribution, but if it is, that would mean each team gets $16.67 million, and that could actually be higher depending on the final number. And that amount would double if two teams joined, and there is currently two applications in, one for Vegas and one for Quebec City.

I highly doubt any team is upset losing players given the compensation they are receiving. And remember, expansion fees are NOT shared with the NHLPA. The teams get every penny.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Well even under your scenario you lose numbers. Each team loses two players but gets one 8th back. That's a minus one by my count.

Not really. I ***DID*** say something to the effect of one pick granted per one player lost. If that takes us to a ninth round for that particular draft, so be it.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Secondly, you are just replacing a number for the sake of it. There's no point in that.

Thirdly, don't forget teams are already well compensated in the expansion process. The expansion team pays an expansion fee to even get into the league, with each team getting a portion of that.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771938

It doesn't say if it's equal distribution or even full distribution, but if it is, that would mean each team gets $16.67 million, and that could actually be higher depending on the final number. And that amount would double if two teams joined, and there is currently two applications in, one for Vegas and one for Quebec City.

I highly doubt any team is upset losing players given the compensation they are receiving. And remember, expansion fees are NOT shared with the NHLPA. The teams get every penny.

It would be both full and even. Otherwise if you weren't getting a full share you wouldn't be voting for it. And it's one of the few ways that owners get free money, doesn't count towards HHR.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Not really. I ***DID*** say something to the effect of one pick granted per one player lost. If that takes us to a ninth round for that particular draft, so be it.

It still doesn't 'solve' anything. Firstly, it's debatable if the lost players had any actual value when the salary cap and the contract is factored in. Two, existing teams are already given almost $17 million in compensation per team that joins the league.

Call me crazy but I'd suspect teams would gladly sell an 8th and 9th for $17 million (or $34 million).

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
It would be both full and even. Otherwise if you weren't getting a full share you wouldn't be voting for it. And it's one of the few ways that owners get free money, doesn't count towards HHR.

I would assume it is, just pointing out it isn't stated in the article.

That said, there could be a tilt towards small market teams getting more, similar to equalization payments that exist under the CBA now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad