Who would the Kings protect in an expansion draft?

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
This is a public poll. Other posters can see your response. ;)

bozo-figura-264x242.jpg

You think I care enough to look and see who voted for who?

I was just making a joke because you think the 8 year deal he is gonna get will be the worst thing ever, and you may be right, only time will tell.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You think I care enough to look and see who voted for who?

I was just making a joke because you think the 8 year deal he is gonna get will be the worst thing ever, and you may be right, only time will tell.

Fair enough.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Based on the poll above, if I was an expansion GM, I would draft:

1. Weal
2. Dowd
3. Clifford

All this knowing that if I offered to take Brown in a trade, I could probably get another prospect and a pick out of Dean.

And then he'd be taken by the other expansion franchise.

A player with that experience, leadership qualities, 2 championship rings, and name recognition will not go undrafted, as bad as that contract is.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
An expansion team at the very best would be competing for a Cup in five years. The contract wouldn't be a problem.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
No it isn't if everyone wants to move him anyway.

You either want the guy on your team or not. The forwards are set and the defense is set. I don't see any particular reason to keep bringing up his name in trade fantasies if he isn't going anywhere.

Plus, with the 3 on 3's in OT, I see AMart as choice #3. Such a fluid skater; can move the puck with easy; these will be needed. So he will be valuable in OT as well.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
And then he'd be taken by the other expansion franchise.

A player with that experience, leadership qualities, 2 championship rings, and name recognition will not go undrafted, as bad as that contract is.

My recollection from most sport's expansion drafts is that big name, big money guys rarely get taken when left exposed.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
My recollection from most sport's expansion drafts is that big name, big money guys rarely get taken when left exposed.

But we haven't seen one where they have to spend a certain amount. In other words, you might be forced to take a big contract to get to the floor.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
But we haven't seen one where they have to spend a certain amount. In other words, you might be forced to take a big contract to get to the floor.

IMO no they wouldn't.

If you don't claim those guys it's not like you'll be SOL. The teams exposing those bad contracts at the expansion draft will be just as willing to unload them a month or two later, but in the meantime the expansion club can try and ink so guys in free agency. Average NHL player salary is $3 million, if they claimed 20 players at $2.5 million on average each, that's $50 million there. The salary cap floor will likely only be a bit above that come 2017, maybe $55 million. Shouldn't be a challenge to get there.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Much better for the expansion franchise to take on a bad contract in a trade than to do it in the expansion draft.

Say you're the Vegas Black Knights GM. In the expansion draft you take Weal. Then you come back to Lombardi and offer your 5th round pick for Brown and a 2nd (maybe requires more). That's how it should be done by an expansion GM.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't know if i'd go that far, one is showing signs of decline over the last 2 seasons, and the other just scored 27 goals in 69 games.

ya I get that, but given Gaborik's injury history I am worried about the last 2/3 years of his deal more than brown's even though brown's costs $1M more.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The results are in:

Seem like we would be protecting....

Forwards

Anze Kopitar
Jeff Carter
Tyler Toffoli
Milan Lucic
Marian Gaborik
Dwight King
Tanner Pearson
Nick Shore
Trevor Lewis

Defensemen

Vyacheslav Voynov
Drew Doughy
Jake Muzzin
Alec Martinez
Brayden McNabb

Goaltenders

Jonathan Quick

EXPOSED....

Forwards

Dustin Brown
Kyle Clifford
Jordan Weal
Jordan Nolan
Andy Andreoff
Andrew Crescenzi
Brian O'Neill
Oscar Moller
Nic Dowd

Defensemen

Jamie McBain
Vincent Loverde
Matt Greene
Jeff Schultz

Goaltenders

Jonas Enroth
Jean-Francois Berube

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
If I had voted seriously those are probably the exact players I would have picked. Maybe a case for Clifford could be made though I think he is easily replaceable like most 4th liners are.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The results are in:

Seem like we would be protecting....

Forwards

Anze Kopitar
Jeff Carter
Tyler Toffoli
Milan Lucic
Marian Gaborik
Dwight King
Tanner Pearson
Nick Shore
Trevor Lewis

Defensemen

Vyacheslav Voynov
Drew Doughy
Jake Muzzin
Alec Martinez
Brayden McNabb

Goaltenders

Jonathan Quick

EXPOSED....

Forwards

Dustin Brown
Kyle Clifford
Jordan Weal
Jordan Nolan
Andy Andreoff
Andrew Crescenzi
Brian O'Neill
Oscar Moller
Nic Dowd

Defensemen

Jamie McBain
Vincent Loverde
Matt Greene
Jeff Schultz

Goaltenders

Jonas Enroth
Jean-Francois Berube

Clifford would be guaranteed gone, he is still young, a pretty good fourth line winger who can play a little and provide some toughness. And he has played in some big games.

I don't know who the second guy would be. If Brown's contract weren't so long someone may take a chance, but probably not with how long he would be on the books. Probably Weal or Nolan.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Will the league compensate teams for losing players in an expansion draft?

I don't think we'd protect Martinez or Nolan.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Intangibles are overrated if you provide nothing tangible on the ice.

No one is going to take on Brown's contract coming off the season he had because he won championships and provided leadership, like your picture says, we saw first hand with Richards how GM's feel about intangibles.

Last edited:

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
They didn't in the last expansion draft, don't see why they would now.

They SHOULD!!!

In an expansion year, there should be an additional round tacked onto the entry draft. In this theoretical "eighth round", every team that lost a player to the expansion draft should be allowed a pick in this round ..... one player lost = one pick gained......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad