Who would the Kings protect in an expansion draft?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
A quick fun poll to see who the Kings would protect in an expansion draft if one was held tomorrow.

I'll use the 2000 expansion draft rules as the base. There were two options for protection lists then, either seven forwards, three defensemen and two goalies, or nine forwards, five defensemen and one goalie.

Since we really only have one goalie worth protecting (sorry to any Enrothians out there) and we likely do have more than three defensemen worth protecting, I'm setting this poll up with the 9-5-1 system.

We all know Quick is the goalie, so I'm asking everyone to select 14 players on this list; nine forwards and five defensemen.

Anyone on a ELC is exempt, as are unsigned prospects.

There was a requirement that each team had to expose players meeting certain games played criteria, but for the sake of this poll we'll just pretend DL would shell out a few prospects or picks to acquire those guys or bring Dustin Penner out of IHOP on a one year deal.

Please stick to picking just nine forwards and just five defensemen. I have listed everyone I think would be eligible, if there are any errors or omissions, mod's please adjust if you can.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Kopitar
Carter
Gaborik
Pearson
Toffoli
King
Clifford*
Shore*
Lucic (if extended)
*Just trying to fill spots

(really don't know where to go beyond that, we don't know the long-term status of Lucic, and yes, I left off Brown)

Doughty
Muzzin
Martinez
Voynov (assuming his issues are resolved within the year, as this would likely happen next summer)
McNabb

Quick

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Kopitar
Carter
Gaborik
Pearson
Toffoli
King
Clifford*
Shore*
?
*Just trying to fill spots

(really don't know where to go beyond that, we don't know the long-term status of Lucic, and yes, I left off Brown)

Doughty
Muzzin
Martinez
Voynov (assuming his issues are resolved within the year, as this would likely happen next summer)
McNabb

Quick

I really hate that the post gets posted immediately instead of waiting for the poll to accompany it...

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
FYI, I included Moller because he did finish his ELC and his rights would be eligible for selection. I'm sure there are others (Justin Azevedo) but Moller IMO is likely the only one who would even have a remote shot at being claimed that is a current RFA. If I'm overlooking someone who could be claimed, please post who and I or a mod can add it to the poll.

Captain Mittens*

Kopitar
Carter
Lucic
Gaborik
Pearson
Toffoli
King
Clifford
Jason Squirties

Doughty
Muzzin
Martinez
Voynov
McNabb

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
A quick fun poll to see who the Kings would protect in an expansion draft if one was held tomorrow.

I'll use the 2000 expansion draft rules as the base. There were two options for protection lists then, either seven forwards, three defensemen and two goalies, or nine forwards, five defensemen and one goalie.

I always feel the need to point out that the expansion draft rules would probably be tweaked for the next round to reflect the changes since 2000 (namely UFA at age 27). Each round of expansion in the 90s ended up having different rules; Phil Esposito was pissed that the Ducks/Panthers got much more favorable rules than Tampa/Ottawa had gotten the previous year.

Personally wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being 8 forwards, 4 D, and a goalie since so many more guys are UFA nowadays and wouldn't need a protection spot.

-------------------

But for fun, if there was a hypothetical expansion draft next offseason + Lucic/Kopitar signed extensions:

1. Kopitar
2. Lucic
3. Gaborik
4. Pearson
5. Carter
6. Toffoli
7. Shore
8. Clifford
-----------
9. King (UFA after 2016-17)

Available: Lewis (UFA), Nolan, Andreoff, Weal

1. Doughty
2. Muzzin
3. Martinez
4. Voynov?
------------
5. McNabb
6. Greene
7. Forbort

1. Quick

Available: Greene, McNabb, Forbort, Enroth

-------------------

Naturally there would be some moves that could be arranged before the draft. Lombardi would like trade a D rather than lose one for nothing.

And there is some strategy involved. With past expansion drafts, you weren't allowed to lose either: Goalie and a defenseman, or two defensemen. In past expansion drafts, they made the teams pick in phases by position: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NHL_Expansion_Draft

Ie, the teams would draft goalies first, then D, then forwards. So there could be some side deals to be had. In 1998, the Kings gave Kimmo Timonen to the Predators in exchange for them taking goalie Frederic Chabot instead of Garry Galley. This also helped in that there was a rule where the a team couldn't lose goalies in back-to-back years. So the Kings didn't need to explicitly protect Fiset and Storr in 1999 (but they did in 2000 which cost them Sean O'Donnell).

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Since we really only have one goalie worth protecting (sorry to any Enrothians out there) and we likely do have more than three defensemen worth protecting, I'm setting this poll up with the 9-5-1 system.

We all know Quick is the goalie, so I'm asking everyone to select 14 players on this list; nine forwards and five defensemen.

Anyone on a ELC is exempt, as are unsigned prospects.

There was a requirement that each team had to expose players meeting certain games played criteria, but for the sake of this poll we'll just pretend DL would shell out a few prospects or picks to acquire those guys or bring Dustin Penner out of IHOP on a one year deal.

Please stick to picking just nine forwards and just five defensemen. I have listed everyone I think would be eligible, if there are any errors or omissions, mod's please adjust if you can.

You left out one of the big requirements from the expansion draft.
At least one D must have appeared in 40 games the previous year or 70 over the previous 2. And 2 forwards must also meet that requirement. Of those you leave unprotceted.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
(^ I think my list would meet tsanuri's "condition precedent" by leaving Brown, Lewis, and Greene unprotected):

Kopitar
Lucic (assuming he signs an extension/is still on the team at this point)
Carter
Toffoli
Pearson
King
Clifford
Nolan
Shore
----
Voynov
McNabb
Martinez
Muzzin
Doughty

Ron*

I'm protecting everybody on that list.

By the way, why is Drew listed last, after all the scrubs?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Kopitar
Lucic
Brown
Carter
Gaborik
Toffoli
King
Lewis
Pearson

Voynov
Greene
Martinez
Muzzin
Doughty

Ron*

Jesus H. Christ, you can't leave Andreoff unprotected.

You just can't.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I can see why Andreoff got a few votes to be protected because he is the total package but who in the heck voted for Andrew Crescenzi? :laugh:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
If Vegas gets a team they are going to need some HF Boards fans to fill up their board. Maybe we should see who would be available from our board to be selected. :naughty:

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
to pick King/Lewis over Brown/Clifford is comical to me

Picking anyone over Brown would be for salary cap reasons. One of Lewis/Clifford will have to be left unprotected (assuming Shore is going to fit in our long term plans) and people will be torn between them. They both bring solid effort, Lewis on the defensive end and Clifford in the physical end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad