Who would the Kings protect in an expansion draft?

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Not protecting Brown is a no brainer..

Talk about a gift to rid yourself of what right now looks like a bad contract..

Lombardi has been very wise with not giving NMC's those teams that did are probably not going to get much cooperation from the players they want to leave unprotected.

Also it seems some poor lost soul did not want to protect Kopitar given Doughty has 62 votes and he has 61.. Mercy...

Probably KINGS17.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
It's now up to 4 people not protecting Kopi and 2 for Doughty. We have some rocket scientists around this place lol

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Wow, I can't believe all the love AMart is getting in the poll. 87%+ want him protected. Awesome!

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Wow, I can't believe all the love AMart is getting in the poll. 87%+ want him protected. Awesome!

When you have to protect 5 Dman and the choices are those top 5 or

Greene
Schultz
Loverde
McBain

Duh, Martinez is going to get picked over them. If Forbort needed to be protected then I would have chosen him over Martinez.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Doesn't make any sense, because about a million posters on this board want to trade him.

Trading him to get something of value > Losing him to nothing.

And since Sekera's gone and the cap space isn't required, there's no need to trade him to free up the cap space.

But he's still a 3rd pairing defenseman.

Ron*

Doubt it.

You haven't been around. Believe me, so many on here want Martinez traded it's like they get money if he is. He is always the first guy mentioned even though we just got him signed to a deal in December.

Martinez isn't going anywhere. People need to get off of the fantasy boards and stay off. Addiction is a very bad thing.

Ron*

When you can protect 4 or 5 (the assumption we are operating under) it's a no brainer.

No it isn't if everyone wants to move him anyway.

You either want the guy on your team or not. The forwards are set and the defense is set. I don't see any particular reason to keep bringing up his name in trade fantasies if he isn't going anywhere.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
No it isn't if everyone wants to move him anyway.

You either want the guy on your team or not. The forwards are set and the defense is set. I don't see any particular reason to keep bringing up his name in trade fantasies if he isn't going anywhere.

When that was happening, we were operating under the assumption that Sekera would get done or another Defenseman would be added, that obviously didn't happen, I haven't seen it brought up since.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The developing story here is Andrew Crescenzi is up to 3 votes! Jeebus.

The kid's a dynamo. Dark horse to make the roster to start the season IMO. He's like a mix between Andreoff and McDavid.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
When that was happening, we were operating under the assumption that Sekera would get done or another Defenseman would be added, that obviously didn't happen, I haven't seen it brought up since.

I've seen it brought up before, during, and after Sekera.

Ron*

You haven't been paying attention. Martinez has been on the fantasy trade block 1,000 times a day here ever since he jammed in the Stanley Cup winner.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
You haven't been paying attention. Martinez has been on the fantasy trade block 1,000 times a day here ever since he jammed in the Stanley Cup winner.

I guess I am just speaking for myself, I know I haven't brought it up since the Phaneuf thing blew over around July 4th.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Based on the poll above, if I was an expansion GM, I would draft:

1. Weal
2. Dowd
3. Clifford

All this knowing that if I offered to take Brown in a trade, I could probably get another prospect and a pick out of Dean.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Probably KINGS17.

This is a public poll. Other posters can see your response. ;)

bozo-figura-264x242.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Martinez has been a likely candidate to be traded ever since the Kings traded for Sekera, and Alec couldn't hack the extra minutes required of a 2nd pairing defenseman last season.

Now there is no Sekera, so Martinez is likely safe for a while. He will likely be the first to be traded once one of the younger, and less expensive defensemen prove that they can handle the NHL game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad