Who Will Win The Hart Trophy?

Who will win the 2022 Hart Trophy?

• Total voters

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Yet they were still 6-1-1 without him.

Matthews has a very strong argument for the Lindsay. The Hart? Not so much.

He'll still probably win it because of Toronto media bias, but that doesn't mean he deserves it. Huberdeau has the same issue.
Goal scoring difference by recent Hart winners
2022 ?
2021 -8 (-12)
2020 -5 (-6)
2019 -10
2018 -10
2017 -14
2016 -4
2015 N/A
2014 -15
2013 +3 (+5)
2012 -10

The last 10 skaters to win the Hart were all closer to the leader in goals than McDavid, Gaudreau, and especially Huberdeau. Matthews is definitely in the conversation.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
its going to be interesting as there have been several different rare performances ( something that has happened 1 to 5 times over the last 30 or so years)
1) Matthews with his 60 goals, including a stretch of 51 in 50
2) Josi with 95 pts from a Dman
3) Gaudreau with 90 even strength points
4) Huberdeau with 85 A
5) McDavid getting 123 pts

Thats not including the fact that while there is nothing rare in what Shesterkin has done this year would the Rangers be nearly as good without him.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
its going to be interesting as there have been several different rare performances ( something that has happened 1 to 5 times over the last 30 or so years)
4) Huberdeau with 85 A

Thats not including the fact that while there is nothing rare in what Shesterkin has done this year would the Rangers be nearly as good without him.

Actually what Shesterkin has done is arguably more impressive given the increase in scoring, he just hasn’t played enough games.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Matthews might have missed too many games. He's a deserving candidate, but McDavid has too high gap in points.

That said, I's give it to Matthews.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Actually what Shesterkin has done is arguably more impressive given the increase in scoring, he just hasn’t played enough games.
i steered away from saying impressive and used rare to highlight that all of the Skaters being mentioned have done something that does not occur often over the last 30 years. I wasn't trying to downplay Shesterkin as a strong contender.

There is a reason that only 8 goalies and 10 dmen have won the Hart. it is hard to definitively say that they are more valuable to a team when a player scores 60 goals, or 123 pts, or has 85 assists, or 90 even strength pts.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don’t know who they polled, but the results were AWFUL. Crosby being the most complete player? Ovechkin the best shot? If this were 2013 maybe the poll would make sense
Those are excellent results. Crosby is the most compete player and Ovechkin does have the best shot.
The goaltending results are suspect but the rest looks solid.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
i steered away from saying impressive and used rare to highlight that all of the Skaters being mentioned have done something that does not occur often over the last 30 years. I wasn't trying to downplay Shesterkin as a strong contender.

There is a reason that only 8 goalies and 10 dmen have won the Hart. it is hard to definitively say that they are more valuable to a team when a player scores 60 goals, or 123 pts, or has 85 assists, or 90 even strength pts.

Yeah that’s largely because of the increase in scoring though but I get what you mean.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Those are excellent results. Crosby is the most compete player and Ovechkin does have the best shot.
The goaltending results are suspect but the rest looks solid.
Lol Matthews is flirting with goal per game when completely health and has been the more efficient shooter for years now. Accuracy is a thing too. Matthews doesn’t gain as much recognition in the players’ eyes because he’s extremely consistent and doesn’t terrorize teams occasionally.

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lol Matthews is flirting with goal per game when completely health and has been the more efficient shooter for years now. Accuracy is a thing too. Matthews doesn’t gain as much recognition in the players’ eyes because he’s extremely consistent and doesn’t terrorize teams occasionally.

Technically the question was “which player do you wish you could shoot like?” not “who has the best shot?”. It’s not quite the same thing. Matthews has a ridiculously quick, accurate release, but it doesn’t always look as cool as Ovechkin blasting one timers down on one knee. I doubt the players took it too seriously.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Who is the most complete player then?

Depends what you mean by complete. Crosby has the most complete resume and is still an all around elite player, but he’s not the best two-way player, he’s not the best at any skill really and players like Barkov and Matthews are elite in more facets of the game than Crosby is. Heck at this point in their careers McDavid is a more complete player.

Reactions: RapidKnight

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Technically the question was “which player do you wish you could shoot like?” not “who has the best shot?”. It’s not quite the same thing. Matthews has a ridiculously quick, accurate release, but it doesn’t always look as cool as Ovechkin blasting one timers down on one knee. I doubt the players took it too seriously.
That makes a lot more sense. My bad. Thanks for clarifying.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
4) Huberdeau with 85 A

You forgot 55+55.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If Shesterkin played at least 65 ish games it would be him. League wide scoring is up, yet his G.A.A is 2.07 with a ridiculous save percentage. He's the most valuable player to me. But I do have a hard time giving it to a guy who did only play 53 at a time when there's so much competition.

Matthews, Huberdeau, McDavid are the finalists for me, with Josi as an honourable mention but he will get the Norris.

I think I go 1) Matthews 2) McDavid 3) Huberdeau 4) Josi but I'm having a hard time not using my bias. All 4 of those guys are very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad