Who Will Win The Hart Trophy?

Who will win the 2022 Hart Trophy?

• Total voters

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Let’s try this.
Matthews set his personal best at 60 and counting. 15 plus more than Mcdavid in substantially less games.

Hes scoring at a rate not seen since Lemieux in 1993. Better than Ovy and better than Stamkos.

Hart Trophy to Matthews this year.
Josi set his personal best at 93 and counting.
New franchise scoring record, 34 more than any other Dman ever had in the organization.

He's scoring at a rate not seen since Housley 1993. Better than Karlsson and better than Lidstrom.

Hart Trophy to Josi this year.

p.s. Matthews is a good choice too :)

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think so too, well deserved!

If Josi or Shesterkin had finished the season on a high over the last two weeks, I'd have loved to see them hit 100 P or .940 pct and give him a good fight for the Hart.
There really was a plethora of great choices this year. A Josi win would have been something else, first Swiss player, I never thought I would have seen the day. How big a sport story would that have been over there? He sure had one hell of a season, he won't win it now, Matthews just has too much momentum now along with the Toronto angle (not saying Matthews doesn't deserve to win it anyway because he does IMO, but being a Leaf to go along with his great season does help let's face facts) but man.................in another year Josi may very well have won, in fact I can think of a few years where he would most assuredly have won with the season he had.

Anyway, a ton of talent in the league now, when a guy like Mcdavid has to fight to win hart trophies, you know there are some other special players out there, you have to be to compete with that guy.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
No one believes that. No one. Watch and see who wins the Hart.

Matthews just won the Rocket back to back as well. Not even close.
Art Ross , MVP , Lindsay.... guess who owns all three with 3 100 + points seasons....

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Matthews is the correct choice. McDavid's point advantage, even with the missed games, only comes from the PP. It's really hard to fault Matthews for not having more PP points as his team has the highest PP% in the league so he's clearly helping quite a bit.

Plus McDavid has a ton of EN points, and if you've ever watched him out there with a 2-goal lead and the opposing goalie pulled, there is zero desire from him to prevent the other team from scoring.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
In the last 22 years, there’s been 3 (4 if not for Covid) 60 goal seasons, and 4 (5 possibly 6 if not for Covid), 120+ point seasons.

The more rare achievement is probably bigger, thus being less frequently accomplished. Good argument though, as usual.
So by that logic, Gaudreau's ES scoring and +/- should win him the Hart. He's doing things that haven't been done in McDavid's lifetime.

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
So by that logic, Gaudreau's ES scoring and +/- should win him the Hart. He's doing things that haven't been done in McDavid's lifetime.
That logic only works when we're talking about Matthews. It obviously doesn't apply to Gaudreau (despite arguably being in more elite company since the last two guys to score at his rate at ES are Lemieux and Jagr).

The90

Feb 27, 2017

That logic only works when we're talking about Matthews. It obviously doesn't apply to Gaudreau (despite arguably being in more elite company since the last two guys to score at his rate at ES are Lemieux and Jagr).
I wasn’t talking about gaudreau. I was directly comparing mcdavid and Matthews’ seasons. Matthews missed games, but likely would’ve been ~10 points behind, but with 15 more goals, and a stronger 2 way game. I don’t think he’s a better player, but I think he was more dominant this season.

But if you want to derail it into gaudreau to dunk on me, go right ahead. Just know that it’s a false equivalency. And not what I was talking about.

Also, Gaudreau is having a special season, as is Josi. But goals are king whether that’s right or not I’m not sure. But they always bring the most fanfare.

Last edited:

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Mcdavid has 10 PPG (44 PP points) and 12 EN points (7 goals)

Matthews has 16 PPG (29 PP points) and 3 EN points (all goals)

Mcdavid has 27 goals at even strength and he has 38 assists (without the EN)

Matthews has 41 goals at even strength and 33 assists at even strength. (Without the EN)

I left out defensive stats because it isn’t close at all.

This is with Matthews playing 6 less games.

Matthews>Mcdavid

Mar 26, 2010
Two center with 60 goals in 73 gp. 92 takeaways to lead the league. 58% in the dot, 10 gwg. Mvp surely.
Easily, Matthews 100% has won the Hart.

Secondary assists in the weakest division in the NHL do not impress me. Sorry

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
You ever think he wins because he is the best player, scored 50 in 50, one of only 3 players in the history of the NHL to score 60 goals in the Cap era. OR…just maybe the fact he is best 200 ft player in the game. Yeah… must be the bias though right. Lol

That some big words for something happening every 5-6 years.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Easily, Matthews 100% has won the Hart.

Secondary assists in the weakest division in the NHL do not impress me. Sorry

Are you a Hart voter? Otherwise quite irrelevant.
And Metropolitan Divison teams allowed more goals in total than Pacific teams

Last edited:
Reactions: AgeIess

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Are you a Hart voter? Otherwise quite irrelevant.
And Metropolitan Divison teams allowed more goals in total than Pacific teams
McDavid also has 6 more secondary assists than Matthews.

Despite having like 30 more assists than him.

Matthews is the true secondary assist king.

Reactions: AgeIess

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Mcdavid has 10 PPG (44 PP points) and 12 EN points (7 goals)

Matthews has 16 PPG (29 PP points) and 3 EN points (all goals)

Mcdavid has 27 goals at even strength and he has 38 assists (without the EN)

Matthews has 41 goals at even strength and 33 assists at even strength. (Without the EN)

I left out defensive stats because it isn’t close at all.

This is with Matthews playing 6 less games.

Matthews>Mcdavid

Yeah it’s honestly not really as close as people would like to think this season on a per game basis.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Mar 26, 2010
That some big words for something happening every 5-6 years.
BS, no one scores 60 that Often. How many 60 goal seasons does McDavid have. He is barely a 40 goal scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad