Who will win the Calder this season?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Didn’t realize EP was leading the league in shooting %. Assuming that comes down or if he has to deal with another injury AND Hart keeps it up then maybe. It would be cool for Hart but in the end both of these guys plus the dmen are amazing players.

I like Patrick and think he can be a lot. Maybe even more valuable than EP in the long run, but it would be nice to have EP.

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
Didn’t realize EP was leading the league in shooting %. Assuming that comes down or if he has to deal with another injury AND Hart keeps it up then maybe. It would be cool for Hart but in the end both of these guys plus the dmen are amazing players.

I like Patrick and think he can be a lot. Maybe even more valuable than EP in the long run, but it would be nice to have EP.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Oh man I needed a good laugh for the day/week. NP will never be as good as EP is as a rookie, and if he somehow became as good as EP was at 20 in his own prime, that would be a major win for the Flyers. Face it, the Flyers messed up the 16 draft, and it will haunt them for the next 20 years

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I mean he has the highest winning %, and is like .001 off of Blackwood's Sv%, and when you look at Kinkaid and Schneider's stats versus the goalie train that Philly has used this year it starts painting a picture. Philly has like a 25% difference in their winning% with him in net compared to not. He's doing what Mason did for Columbus, he just needs to keep it up, 16GP is small, but there's still like 29 games left, if he starts the majority of that and he continues at this pace he'd get my vote. I mean the rate at what he's winning if he did it from the start of the season, Philly would be ahead of Tampa.

You do realize NJ has like a 100000% increase in win % when Schneider is not in net. I could put on pads and play goalie for them and they'd have a better chance of winning than with Cory.
Anyway, while comparing Hart and Blackwood is fun, Hart can get Philly into the playoffs, while Blackwood will be developing in the AHL for most of the season as we need tank commander Cory back to lead the lose for Hughes charge. The fact that our next game is against the putrid Kings is exactly why MB was sent down. Can't have him stealing any more games and we need a really special piece of dogcrap in net to lose to that mess of a team.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Petterson. I have little doubt of this. Even in a year where scoring is through the roof, he is still having a fantastic rookie season. Hart is at least making it interesting, but he just isn't going to log enough games to sway voters.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Oh man I needed a good laugh for the day/week. NP will never be as good as EP is as a rookie, and if he somehow became as good as EP was at 20 in his own prime, that would be a major win for the Flyers. Face it, the Flyers messed up the 16 draft, and it will haunt them for the next 20 years

Patrick was the consensus #1 for most of the time leading up to the draft, and even on draft day people were unsure if he or Hischier would go #1. There isn't a team in the league that takes Petterson with that pick, especially after lucking into it by moving up in the lottery. They took the player that was considered a sure thing.

Reactions: Gsus and shello

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
Patrick was the consensus #1 for most of the time leading up to the draft, and even on draft day people were unsure if he or Hischier would go #1. There isn't a team in the league that takes Petterson with that pick, especially after lucking into it by moving up in the lottery. They took the player that was considered a sure thing.
And has it turned out to be the right pick so far?

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I wouldn't include Hart in to the conversation just yet. His sample size isn't enough to shake the feeling of a hot start. Sure if he keeps his level of game up all the way to the end of the season, he'll most likely crack top 3. It's Pettersson's to lose and quite frankly, I don't think anything other than a season ending injury will do it, which obviously I hope he doesn't suffer.

After that I've been most impressed with Dahlin and a homer choice Heiskanen. Tkachuk has been very quiet lately and I wouldn't put him in front of either Heiskanen or Dahlin. Actually Kotkaniemi is making a case before Tkachuk also, but that could just be recency bias talking.

Overall pretty impressive rookie class.

Reactions: BernieParent
Feb 19, 2018
I’d say homer vote but being blessed enough to watch Pettersson on a game to game basis the kid is truly the next best thing if not already!

Such a well rounded player it’s insane and Datsyuk is often a comparison but he will be even better in his prime.

The shot/pass threat with the handles and agility is a game changer every shift.

Never seen someone backcheck as hard as well to the point of his body is a human sacrifice every shift.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think you mean 2017 draft. I’d hardly say the flyers messed up. He and Hischier were the easy top two picks. EP came on strong last year in Europe and looked to be great but it wasn’t like he was that well known. The nucks got lucky to fall back.

I said that Patrick could be more valuable. In that Bergeron is more valuable in his prime than Gaudreau. Patrick looks great defensively. Even pick pocketed EP last night. He has come on strong offensively like last season when the end of the year he was approaching a ppg too. He had an assist last night. Hit the post on a great shot. Won the game before in OT. He needs confidence and time to recover from major surgeries. I can still see him as a 60-80 pt player. Then you look at EP who’s great, but not playing behind anyone on a shallow cnaucks team. Then you look at his shooting % that will come down. You are going to have wait on that good laugh for a year or two bc it’s not reasonable to compare both players right now.

Finally, the flyers have one of the highest scoring top 6s in the league. They have one of the youngest and most promising D corps in the league. They look to have one of the best future goalies in the league. They have one of the best project pools in the league. They will be looking to add the 2nd best coach in the league. Winning a draft lottery and picking up a gig whose floor is 60 pts is not going to haunt anyone lol. We have Couts Patrick Frost down the middle as the future and that’s excellent. That’s like saying missing on Hughes will haunt them. They will be fine and are literally lucky to have Patrick.

Reactions: BernieParent

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

3rd year Calder for Alex "AHL" Nylander who spent 2 years in AHL with no progress.

Well, it became 3rd year in AHL 0.5ppg and what looks like a decreasing point total. The bus league with 80 game season and cross continent bus trips is fine.

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
I think you mean 2017 draft. I’d hardly say the flyers messed up. He and Hischier were the easy top two picks. EP came on strong last year in Europe and looked to be great but it wasn’t like he was that well known. The nucks got lucky to fall back.

I said that Patrick could be more valuable. In that Bergeron is more valuable in his prime than Gaudreau. Patrick looks great defensively. Even pick pocketed EP last night. He has come on strong offensively like last season when the end of the year he was approaching a ppg too. He had an assist last night. Hit the post on a great shot. Won the game before in OT. He needs confidence and time to recover from major surgeries. I can still see him as a 60-80 pt player. Then you look at EP who’s great, but not playing behind anyone on a shallow cnaucks team. Then you look at his shooting % that will come down. You are going to have wait on that good laugh for a year or two bc it’s not reasonable to compare both players right now.

Finally, the flyers have one of the highest scoring top 6s in the league. They have one of the youngest and most promising D corps in the league. They look to have one of the best future goalies in the league. They have one of the best project pools in the league. They will be looking to add the 2nd best coach in the league. Winning a draft lottery and picking up a gig whose floor is 60 pts is not going to haunt anyone lol. We have Couts Patrick Frost down the middle as the future and that’s excellent. That’s like saying missing on Hughes will haunt them. They will be fine and are literally lucky to have Patrick.
You’re absolutely dilusional if you don’t think the Flyers regret passing on EP for NP, he would be the most valuable piece on the Flyers going forward. So the Flyers are going to win another draft lottery and watch out? If any team won 2 top 3 picks in a 3 year span with the lottery it would be beneficial, this isn’t really earth shattering stuff here. Although if they missed on this years pick like they did in 17 then that may haunt them even further.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Flyers messed up, I had Heiskanen ranked 2

Patrick is not that good even in his draft year

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Miro would be the best dmen on the Flyers as a rookie

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Pettersson has more goals in 43 games than Patrick has in 119 games. So offensively it’s unlikely that they’ll ever be close.

You cite how Bergeron is more valuable than Gaudreau and compare them to Patrick and Pettersson, problem is Pettersson is already better than Patrick defensively.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Pettersson has more goals in 43 games than Patrick has in 119 games. So offensively it’s unlikely that they’ll ever be close.

You cite how Bergeron is more valuable than Gaudreau and compare them to Patrick and Pettersson, problem is Pettersson is already better than Patrick defensively.

Uh no he’s not. So far EP has shown that his slight frame may be an issue staying healthy so I see no reason why Patrick can’t play more games at the backend to even it out. And as you said they have the same amount
Of goals. Patrick is more of an assist guy anyway. Plus EP has quality wingers and plays a larger role on a rebuilding team. Patrick isn’t on the PP1 yet. He’s very well could have Stone or Panarin on his wing next year too. It’s too early and far to biased to EP at this point. That’s all I’m really saying. I think EP is a fantastic player.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Uh no he’s not. So far EP has shown that his slight frame may be an issue staying healthy so I see no reason why Patrick can’t play more games at the backend to even it out. And as you said they have the same amount
Of goals. Patrick is more of an assist guy anyway. Plus EP has quality wingers and plays a larger role on a rebuilding team. Patrick isn’t on the PP1 yet. He’s very well could have Stone or Panarin on his wing next year too. It’s too early and far to biased to EP at this point. That’s all I’m really saying. I think EP is a fantastic player.

No they don’t have the same amount of goals... EP has more goals even though he’s only played 43 games and Patrick has played 119.

Honestly I was going to respond with more depth then I realized I don’t even know why I responded in the first place. You’re completely blind so it really doesn’t matter what happens or what I say. Your mind is made up and that’s totally fine :)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
No they don’t have the same amount of goals... EP has more goals even though he’s only played 43 games and Patrick has played 119.

Honestly I was going to respond with more depth then I realized I don’t even know why I responded in the first place. You’re completely blind so it really doesn’t matter what happens or what I say. Your mind is made up and that’s totally fine :)
Haha he has one more goal...which he scored last night. I like the “I was going to respond, but I won’t”, but ya just did.

Patrick had a lot injures. Big ones early that required significant surgery and recovery. I thought he’d be better this year but if he finishes strong it’s the same to me. That plus better future linemates and EP league high shooting % makes me thing things will even out. Or at least we should wait more than half a season to declare the better player. Unless EP is going to be the new shooting % career leader by 10%.

Reactions: Adtar02

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Haha he has one more goal...which he scored last night. I like the “I was going to respond, but I won’t”, but ya just did.

Patrick had a lot injures. Big ones early that required significant surgery and recovery. I thought he’d be better this year but if he finishes strong it’s the same to me. That plus better future linemates and EP league high shooting % makes me thing things will even out. Or at least we should wait more than half a season to declare the better player. Unless EP is going to be the new shooting % career leader by 10%.

Are you saying Patrick has issues staying healthy? Why is that? Does he have a slight frame?

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007

This doesn't make sense. You slight Pettersson for inability to stay healthy, but injuries has plagued Nolan Patrick his entire career.

Somehow you are completely bypassing the numbers. Maybe it's easier if you see it visually:

119GP 23G 26A 49P
43GP 24G 23A 47P

Even if you normalized Pettersson's shooting percentage for the rest of the year Pettersson has vastly outplayed Nolan Patrick.

Could Patrick be more valuable? Sure. Is he now? No. Is he likely to be? No. Will all sane fans take Pettersson over Patrick now and in the future? Yes.

Reactions: lurking

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Are you saying Patrick has issues staying healthy? Why is that? Does he have a slight frame?

Patrick has not had any issues staying healthy since he was injured before the NHL. He was misdiagnosed if that’s what you are talking about?

This doesn't make sense. You slight Pettersson for inability to stay healthy, but injuries has plagued Nolan Patrick his entire career.

Somehow you are completely bypassing the numbers. Maybe it's easier if you see it visually:

119GP 23G 26A 49P
43GP 24G 23A 47P

Even if you normalized Pettersson's shooting percentage for the rest of the year Pettersson has vastly outplayed Nolan Patrick.

Could Patrick be more valuable? Sure. Is he now? No. Is he likely to be? No. Will all sane fans take Pettersson over Patrick now and in the future? Yes.

Patrick is not injury plagued. He had one injury to the groin that was diagnosed as two different ones. He’s fine now. It may be a confidence or loss of two offseason to train and practice. Either way he is going to be ok. EP has had two big injuries in half a season. He left the game against the flyers.

So right now they are even. I’m not saying he will but I’m at least curious to see if Patrick scores more than EP the rest of the year or next year. Especially if he eats TWO ham and cheese sandwiches a day

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Patrick isnt on EP's level at this point in time. EP is already a tier ahead. EP is better than Patrick at everything. This shouldnt even be a debate.

Also EP was injured due to non-hockey hits and freak accidents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad