Speculation: Who Will the Rangers Target At the Center Position this Summer?

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Here are a few realistic options that the Rangers have.

Joe Thorton (San Jose)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 82 G: 11 A: 65 PTS: 76 +/-: 20

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP: 7 G: 2 A: 1 PTS: 3 +/-: -6

Contract status: $6.75M AAV, 3 years remaining on current deal.

Paul Stastny (UFA)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 7 G: 5 A: 5 PTS: 60 +/-: 9

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP:7 G: 2 A: 4 PTS: 10 +/-: -1

Contract status: Top UFA of this summer's UFA class, coming fresh off of a 5 year $33M contract at a $6.6M AAV. Will very likely require a 7 year deal. Expect AAV money to be around $6.6M-$7.5M.

Ryan O'Reilly (RFA, Colorado)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 80 G: 28 A: 36 PTS: 64 +/-: -1

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP: 7 G: 2 A: 4 PTS: 6 +/-: 3

Contract status: ROR is a an RFA coming off of a two year, $10M total, $5M AAV deal. Colorado and ROR seem to be on the rocks (again) with their contract negotiations headed to club-elected salary arbitration. The following is from Av's fan writer Jeremy Lambert on fansided.com (you don't need an insider for the following information, so a fan will do). The link to the article is http://milehighsticking.com/2014/06/19/examining-ryan-oreilly-situation/

"This all started two years ago when the Avs and O’Reilly couldn’t come to terms on a deal and O’Reilly held out. The Avs wanted O’Reilly to take a two-year “bridge contract” much like Matt Duchene did after his rookie contract was up while O’Reilly wanted to sign a long-term deal right then. The Calgary Flames swooped in with an offer sheet and forced the Avs to sign O’Reilly to a big money two-year deal.

Now the two-year deal is up and the Avs and O’Reilly are once again at a standstill."

ROR signed an offer sheet two years ago so he would definitely do it again. He's looking for security in term and pay around $6.5M AAV.

Nazem Kadri (Toronto)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 78 G: 20 A: 30 PTS: 50 +/-: -11

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats:N/A

Contract status: $2.9M AAV, 1 year remaining on current deal.

Jason Spezza (Ottawa)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 78 G: 23 A: 43 PTS: 66 +/-: -26

'13-'14 Playoff Stats: N/A

Contract status: $7.0M AAV, 1 year remaining on current contract.

Who do you believe the Rangers will target? Who do you believe they should target?

edit: Mods you can keep this or move it, just felt the center issue was a big deal with the Richards BO.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm in the mega-minority, but I want Spezza. I think Sather and co. look at Thornton and ROR, realize the asking prices are too high, and either get creative with something off the radar (like Goc) or pray Brassard can handle 2C, and Miller can handle 3C.

Do we really want Miller centering MSL, though? ........

blue2noise

Jul 4, 2006
www.gloryholeradio.com
I'm in the mega-minority, but I want Spezza. I think Sather and co. look at Thornton and ROR, realize the asking prices are too high, and either get creative with something off the radar (like Goc) or pray Brassard can handle 2C, and Miller can handle 3C.

Do we really want Miller centering MSL, though? ........

Yes. Especially over Spezza. If you think Nash can disappear, Spezza takes the soft, invisible cake.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Once we take care of signing our own players (even without Boyle), we will not have money for any of these expensive options. I guess Goc could come in at a lower price, but I don't really see any reason to pay him over Miller.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Once we take care of signing our own players (even without Boyle), we will not have money for any of these expensive options. I guess Goc could come in at a lower price, but I don't really see any reason to pay him over Miller.
Because having spots for kids with no serious challengers is a fool's game.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yes. Especially over Spezza. If you think Nash can disappear, Spezza takes the soft, invisible cake.

I'm gonna post my thoughts again, I think they're good, dammit!

• He's on a one year deal, so he provides the perfect stop gap (hopefully) for Miller and/or Lindberg
  • He's a right-handed shot. We are desperately missing another right-handed forward. You can see it in our power play where Stepan is the only one. We have no one available to distribute or potentially shoot from the left-wing circle.
  • In regards to Spezza v. Thornton specifically, Spezza will cost wildly less assets, and again, has that one-year deal
  • Back to the one-year deal, it keeps the window impressively open from this season to next with another legitimate top line center. MSL and Spezza here for one more year. Nice.
  • He's a real 2C, 1C option. Miller is not a real 3C option. Brassard is a fantastic 3C.
  • In terms of Spezza vs. ROR, I have no positive for Spezza in this matter except the right-handedness, and the assets each will cost relatively to each other.
  • Spezza has a history of being a playoff performer. He's just over a point-per-game (literally, one point) for his regular season totals. He's four points under a PPG in the playoffs.
  • 9 goals, 22 points on the PP last season.

I also don't think Nash is soft at all. I actually thought in the general scheme of things, he played a very hard (read: rough) game in the playoffs. He just couldn't score for ****. I don't necessarily equate not scoring with disappearing.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
ROR and Kadri definitely intrigue me, in that order. The other two, not so much because age and other factors.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
R'OR or bust. Id love Thornton on this team but he'd cost too much to get here, so he'll end up staying in SJ. Want no part of Spezza and not really keen on Stastny, has the potential to turn into another Brad Richards scenario

I'm gonna post my thoughts again, I think they're good, dammit!

• He's on a one year deal, so he provides the perfect stop gap (hopefully) for Miller and/or Lindberg
  • He's a right-handed shot. We are desperately missing another right-handed forward. You can see it in our power play where Stepan is the only one. We have no one available to distribute or potentially shoot from the left-wing circle.
  • In regards to Spezza v. Thornton specifically, Spezza will cost wildly less assets, and again, has that one-year deal
  • Back to the one-year deal, it keeps the window impressively open from this season to next with another legitimate top line center. MSL and Spezza here for one more year. Nice.
  • He's a real 2C, 1C option. Miller is not a real 3C option. Brassard is a fantastic 3C.
  • In terms of Spezza vs. ROR, I have no positive for Spezza in this matter except the right-handedness, and the assets each will cost relatively to each other.
  • Spezza has a history of being a playoff performer. He's just over a point-per-game (literally, one point) for his regular season totals. He's four points under a PPG in the playoffs.
  • 9 goals, 22 points on the PP last season.

I also don't think Nash is soft at all. I actually thought in the general scheme of things, he played a very hard (read: rough) game in the playoffs. He just couldn't score for ****. I don't necessarily equate not scoring with disappearing.

We've already moved 2 1st round picks in the next 2 years. I don't see spending more assets to acquire a "bridge" to one of our youngsters as a wise move going forward. I'd rather invest them in something that would be here long term (See R'OR)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Come on. I am very high on Miller, but Spezza blows him out of the water right now. He's a legit 1C. But his health concerns me. I don't particularly want to make a move for him, but it would be far from the worst thing in the world (unless we massively overpay).

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Miller centering MSL?? oh God.. and I dont hate Miller at all but that's a train wreck waiting to happen.

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know about you guys but I'm all for letting the young kids play. No more stop gaps. Let the kids play. Stop trying to sign a center and see what Miller can do throughout the year.

Sign some players that give us depth and let the kids show us what they can do. Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, and the rest of them.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Only reason I dont want spezza is the price because were in the east. 30 goal scoring big center with a right handed shot

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I don't know about you guys but I'm all for letting the young kids play. No more stop gaps. Let the kids play. Stop trying to sign a center and see what Miller can do throughout the year.

Sign some players that give us depth and let the kids show us what they can do. Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, and the rest of them.

Are we going to be edmonton now? Because with all their young talent theyre always contenders..

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
R'OR or bust. Id love Thornton on this team but he'd cost too much to get here, so he'll end up staying in SJ. Want no part of Spezza and not really keen on Stastny, has the potential to turn into another Brad Richards scenario

We've already moved 2 1st round picks in the next 2 years. I don't see spending more assets to acquire a "bridge" to one of our youngsters as a wise move going forward. I'd rather invest them in something that would be here long term (See R'OR)

I get why ROR looks attractive, I just don't like the idea of a guy who has held his team hostage over salary (twice now, I think, but I could be wrong) in a young impressionable locker room like ours.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Much happier to go with Miller/Lindberg/some bargain FA signing at 3C rather than go after Spezza/Thornton/Stastny. Kadri or ROR could be interesting, depending on the price, but I have reservations about both. I continue to hope for something outside the box. If we're dealing Staal, I want a guy like Coyle, Zibanejad or Bjugstad back. Maybe one of the Buffalo centers - or someone like McD that the scouting staff has long coveted, but is not on our collective radar.

The key is to identify the next Schiefele/Johansen/Galchenyuk BEFORE he breaks out and becomes unattainable.

Carlos Ranger

Zucc-a-Rella
Apr 9, 2007
NJ
I think Stastny is the target. Stralman is the casualty here. Well Stralman, Boyle and quite possibly Pouliot.

Precisely what I'm thinking. if we cut those 3 lose, get Zucc + Brass signed for under 4 a piece, we could afford to give Stastny 7-7.5

Kreider-Stastny-Nash
Zucc-Brass-MSL
Hag-Step-Miller
Carc-Moore-Fast

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Much happier to go with Miller/Lindberg/some bargain FA signing at 3C rather than go after Spezza/Thornton/Stastny. Kadri or ROR could be interesting, depending on the price, but I have reservations about both. I continue to hope for something outside the box. If we're dealing Staal, I want a guy like Coyle, Zibanejad or Bjugstad back. Maybe one of the Buffalo centers - or someone like McD that the scouting staff has long coveted, but is not on our collective radar.

The key is to identify the next Schiefele/Johansen/Galchenyuk BEFORE he breaks out and becomes unattainable.[/QUOTE]

actually that's what drafting is for, but we blow at that..

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

Yeah, I think the idea is to acquire a guy who can play to start the year, with the hopes that if an injury occurs Miller can establish himself a legitimate NHL player.

Locking yourself into a 4-5 year deal on a guy like Legwand is not prudent, and dealing Miller for a guy like Spezza or Thornton is not prudent either, in the cap world.

We need to have flexibility after next year to sign MSL/Stepan/Hagelin/Staal.

That's going to be a ****** ****ing offseason.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Precisely what I'm thinking. if we cut those 3 lose, get Zucc + Brass signed for under 4 a piece, we could afford to give Stastny 7-7.5

Kreider-Stastny-Nash
Zucc-Brass-MSL
Hag-Step-Miller
Carc-Moore-Fast

And then next year how do we sign Hagelin/Stepan/MSL with two players making $7.5M already on offense and no second pairing on defense.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Here are a few realistic options that the Rangers have.

Joe Thorton (San Jose)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 82 G: 11 A: 65 PTS: 76 +/-: 20

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP: 7 G: 2 A: 1 PTS: 3 +/-: -6

Contract status: $6.75M AAV, 3 years remaining on current deal.

Paul Stastny (UFA)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 7 G: 5 A: 5 PTS: 60 +/-: 9

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP:7 G: 2 A: 4 PTS: 10 +/-: -1

Contract status: Top UFA of this summer's UFA class, coming fresh off of a 5 year $33M contract at a $6.6M AAV. Will very likely require a 7 year deal. Expect AAV money to be around $6.6M-$7.5M.

Ryan O'Reilly (RFA, Colorado)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 80 G: 28 A: 36 PTS: 64 +/-: -1

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats: GP: 7 G: 2 A: 4 PTS: 6 +/-: 3

Contract status: ROR is a an RFA coming off of a two year, $10M total, $5M AAV deal. Colorado and ROR seem to be on the rocks (again) with their contract negotiations headed to club-elected salary arbitration. The following is from Av's fan writer Jeremy Lambert on fansided.com (you don't need an insider for the following information, so a fan will do). The link to the article is http://milehighsticking.com/2014/06/19/examining-ryan-oreilly-situation/

"This all started two years ago when the Avs and O’Reilly couldn’t come to terms on a deal and O’Reilly held out. The Avs wanted O’Reilly to take a two-year “bridge contract†much like Matt Duchene did after his rookie contract was up while O’Reilly wanted to sign a long-term deal right then. The Calgary Flames swooped in with an offer sheet and forced the Avs to sign O’Reilly to a big money two-year deal.

Now the two-year deal is up and the Avs and O’Reilly are once again at a standstill."

ROR signed an offer sheet two years ago so he would definitely do it again. He's looking for security in term and pay around $6.5M AAV.

Nazem Kadri (Toronto)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 78 G: 20 A: 30 PTS: 50 +/-: -11

'13-'14 Playoffs Stats:N/A

Contract status: $2.9M AAV, 1 year remaining on current deal.

Jason Spezza (Ottawa)

'13-'14 Regular Season Stats: GP: 78 G: 23 A: 43 PTS: 66 +/-: -26

'13-'14 Playoff Stats: N/A

Contract status: $7.0M AAV, 1 year remaining on current contract.

Who do you believe the Rangers will target? Who do you believe they should target?

edit: Mods you can keep this or move it, just felt the center issue was a big deal with the Richards BO.

Hopefully none of these guys.

Im for signing a relatively cheap guy like Grabovski or Goc and having that player battle with Miller for the 3C spot.

These other guys? Too much money, too many assets, too much risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad