Speculation: Who Will the Rangers Target At the Center Position this Summer?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
You know sometimes I forget how much Nash is actually making. Seeing his numbers compared to the other players on the team it makes it hard to like the guy.

I know he is not going anywhere, but he better light up the regular season next year and be the reason we make the playoffs again, even if he does not contribute come playoff time.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
You know sometimes I forget how much Nash is actually making. Seeing his numbers compared to the other players on the team it makes it hard to like the guy.

I know he is not going anywhere, but he better light up the regular season next year and be the reason we make the playoffs again, even if he does not contribute come playoff time.

If he has that chances in the playoffs next year that he had this year.. I'm sure he will get more goals.. his shooting % can not be that bad 2 years in a row .. can it? :laugh:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

He's led the team in goals each season he's been here and yea last season he had a rough year but 9 GWGs while struggling and being injured is damn impressive

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I'm not worried about Nash at all in the regular season. He will put up 35/35, book it. It's his playoff performance that I'm worried about.

I just can't see us going into next season with Stepan-Brassard-Miller-Moore down the middle. Unless JT explodes onto the scene (which I believe he will, just not this year) that C group is a significant downgrade from last years. My strategy would be this:

1. Resign Stralman/Brassard/Zuccarello/Kreider/Pouliot/Diaz to the most cap-friendly deals possible
2. Trade Staal for a package of picks including a 1st to clear cap space
3. Call up either McIlrath/Allen for the 3rd pairing
4. Sign Stastny

Gives us the following:

Kreider-Stastny-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-MSL
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucc
Miller-Moore-Dorsett

Girardi-McDonagh
Stralman-McIlrath/Allen/Diaz
Klein-Moore

I haven't run the numbers on all this but I think it's definitely possible if we sign the question mark guys to good contracts. I think that's an extremely formidable roster for the regular season and playoffs. The forward depth at every position is insane, and so long as one of our rookie Dmen or Diaz can step up the defense will be fine. If not, we can always make moves at the deadline to shore it up

Zuccarello Awesome*

6@6 max for Statsny.

I rather Sather work some magic and bring over ROR instead.

Or, we could trade for the kid in your signature.

I love Johnny Gaudreau. My sister went to BC for undergrad and I saw a lot of him there, as well as Kreider. The kid has Claude Giroux-esque skills.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Or, we could trade for the kid in your signature.

I love Johnny Gaudreau. My sister went to BC for undergrad and I saw a lot of him there, as well as Kreider. The kid has Claude Giroux-esque skills.

Haha I wish Johnny played for the Rangers. Kid is the real deal. Last thing we need is another little guy after the forecheck beating we took by the Kings though.

Regardless I think he will do really well in Calgary. Really excited to follow him this coming season. I just hope Burke doesn't play any games with him because of his size.

PS. Please no Dan Boyle. :D

*Bob Richards*

Statsny is good but north of $7 million? Yeesh.

Then again, I'm not fully confident going into next year with Stepan/Brassard/Miller/Moore.

Glad I'm not the one making these decisions. :laugh:

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I am intrigued with the Goc scenario. But, I think a deal of Spezza fit's a need that we have now and on a one year deal you know he is going to play balls out looking for that next big and possibly last pay day.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I am intrigued with the Goc scenario. But, I think a deal of Spezza fit's a need that we have now and on a one year deal you know he is going to play balls out looking for that next big and possibly last pay day.

one problem.. Ottawa won't trade him East without absurd overpayment.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
While I don't really want Dan Boyle over Stralman if we can get him on a one year incentive heavy deal I could live with that. Getting a discount on Boyle saves some cap money to maybe resign one of our guys.

Rumor has it, he's looking for a $10 million 2 year contract alhough Brooks doesn't mention a number, only that Boyle is looking for a 2 year contract at a number higher than $4 mllion/yr.

And while the Rangers would be interested in giving Boyle — who suffered a concussion in October from which he had lingering symptoms for at least three months, according to an interview he gave last season — a one-year, over 35 contract loaded with bonuses that can be deferred against the cap until 2015-16, it appears as if the defenseman is seeking a two-year deal and at a price higher than the $4 million the Blueshirts have essentially set aside to fill the slot that belonged to Stralman

And why would he give the Rangers a discount?

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
And why would he give the Rangers a discount?

Why would someone pay him top dollar? He can demand whatever he likes but that doesn't mean that is what he will get. The guy is old and coming off a bad year...I don't see teams running to sign him to a two year or more contract.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Why would someone pay him top dollar? He can demand whatever he likes but that doesn't mean that is what he will get. The guy is old and coming off a bad year...I don't see teams running to sign him to a two year or more contract.

Is $4MM a year really top dollar? As bad as he was, he still put up nearly 40 points, and double-digit goals, in a year he suffered a concussion and likely didn't fully recover. He's been pretty durable throughout his career and missed only 7 games due to his concussion; not bad for an old guy. I don't know him well, but if he's a fit guy, he can play a couple more years and a decent enough level and help a team's PP while not really hurting them on defense while going nearly 20 minutes per night, and being given even more ice time in the playoffs. I am not saying go sign him, break the bank for him, or anything to that effect, but I think we in here tend to try to predict when a player will begin to decline and I'm not sure we have all the information to make that decision. I fall into the same boat. Hate having guys signed past 34/35 years old; some guys at a younger age. There are situations where you might say, damn, wish we still had so-and-so for those last couple years at the price we signed him to many years ago.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Statsny is good but north of $7 million? Yeesh.

Then again, I'm not fully confident going into next year with Stepan/Brassard/Miller/Moore.

Glad I'm not the one making these decisions. :laugh:

I just don't see it ending well if you give Statsny that much.

What would be the max price everybody would give Statsny?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I wonder who here has watched the biggest sample size of each of the C in question. It would be required to form an intelligent, cogent opinion based on the players skills and how they'd fit into the lineup. Secondary is all the crap that we all can find out without watching a game. Stats, Postseason performance, cap hit, age, likely performance decline, etc. Reading the comments not too many people wrote as if they've watched all (if not any) of these other players much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad