Speculation: Who Will the Rangers Target At the Center Position this Summer?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
So far we have drafted one top six player in the last 8 years in the 1st round and that's Kreider. Definition of a team that has not done well in the 1st round sugar coat it anyway u want there's a reason Sather always goes trades or FA... I'll give u Cherapanov so 2.. and the mcilrath pick was a bust as soon as they said his name for a #10 overall. Let him prove me wrong please and I'll gladly admiti was wrong

You have a completely different definition of bust than me.

The last 8 years 3 of our 1st picks were forwards. One is Miller who's still 21. Cherepanov, you know.

You just want an excuse to *****, really.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The Rangers have been significantly better throughout the draft in recent years. Have they missed in the 1st round? yes. But I think they've made up for it throughout. 2nd Rounders have been good to us(Dubinsky, Anisimov, Stepan). And our best player, I dont even have to say. It's not all about 1st rounders.

I've already admitted they do well in the later rounds... It's the first round they suck at... Imagine if we just drafted ONE of Giroux, Getzlaf, etc. that would be our top center, and we wouldn't even be looking still.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Some of these reviews are sugarcoated, and you probably know it.

The Rangers 1st round drafting hasn't been bad, but it does leave something to be desired. Luckily, they've made up for it in the later rounds.

Which are sugar coated? They're all correct.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I've already admitted they do well in the later rounds... It's the first round they suck at... Imagine if we just drafted ONE of Giroux, Getzlaf, etc. that would be our top center, and we wouldn't even be looking still.

I like how you conveniently use two of the only #1 centers in the league that weren't drafted in the top 10.

23 teams pass on Giroux, 18 teams passed on Getzlaf. All terrible drafters, obviously.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I like how you conveniently use two of the only #1 centers in the league that weren't drafted in the top 10.

23 teams pass on Giroux, 18 teams passed on Getzlaf. All terrible drafters, obviously.

OK.. we've been great at drafting :) Happy now? agree to disagree.

SupersonicMonkey*

I'll just say it again, i hope we target someone like Colin Wilson.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If anyone, hopefully an affordable 3rd line center who is

Good on faceoffs
Good defensively
And can chip in 30 points.

Honestly, Signing Boyle and Moore and moving Moore to the third line if Miller doesn't pan out right away is as good a plan as any.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
So far we have drafted one top six player in the last 8 years in the 1st round and that's Kreider. Definition of a team that has not done well in the 1st round sugar coat it anyway u want there's a reason Sather always goes trades or FA... I'll give u Cherapanov so 2.. and the mcilrath pick was a bust as soon as they said his name for a #10 overall. Let him prove me wrong please and I'll gladly admiti was wrong

Waaaaaaay too early label McIlrath a "bust". The Rangers said from the beginning that he was a project that would take YEARS and the guy is very young.

Rangers almost always draft late in the 1st round and, given that, I think their 1st round success is actually pretty good.

Skjei looks pretty good for 28th. Miller was 15th, Mac was 10th, Kreider 19th (steal), MDZ 20th, Cherepanov 17th, Bobby Sags 21st, Staal 12th.

You can always selectively go back and say we should've gotten this guy or that guy but it's a crap shoot. There was a lot of fear that Tarasenko wouldn't even play in North America, if you remember, and Fowler's stock fell so fast that it made teams nervous as to why.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

Good on faceoffs
Good defensively

Honestly, Signing Boyle and Moore and moving Moore to the third line if Miller doesn't pan out right away is as good a plan as any.

Really sounds like Grabo.

I don't think he'll be affordable but if we could get him for 4 mill I'd be thrilled.

asparkoflife

Nov 8, 2008
Patterson, NY

We weren't the only ones to pass on Giroux or Getzlaf. Aside from those two players, what other game changing Centers have been available from picks 11-30 in round one?

SupersonicMonkey*

Good on faceoffs
Good defensively

The guy i keep mentioning is exactly this. And adds size, strength, some leadership qualities, and can distribute the puck well enough to play with skilled wingers.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Really sounds like Grabo.

I don't think he'll be affordable but if we could get him for 4 mill I'd be thrilled.

Grabovski is good in the circle but hardly ever plays the penalty kill.

He's be more like another Brassard. It'd continue our style of having 3 #2 centers to deal with, which would be nice, but he certainly wouldn't add much defensively.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I don't know about you guys but I'm all for letting the young kids play. No more stop gaps. Let the kids play. Stop trying to sign a center and see what Miller can do throughout the year.

Sign some players that give us depth and let the kids show us what they can do. Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, and the rest of them.

I don't know why anyone thinks he's an NHL prospect. He lacks balance, intuition, everything but a shot, and speed... somtimes.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Sanguinetti busted.

Cherepanov died.

MDZ is an NHL player and had two great seasons and one very good season here. No way is that a "miss".

Kreider looks like slam dunk.

McIlrath at least fills a need and is very close to the NHL. You can ***** and moan all you want about Cam Fowler and Tarasenko but he's not a bust in any sense.

Miller looks like a great pick.

Skjei looks like a great pick.

So one bust in the last 8 years? Yeah I'll take that.

MDZ had one very good year, one above-average, one bad and one horrible. And he's regressing.

McIlrath is gravitating toward BUST,like it or not.

Miller has proved nothing and looks more and more like a career bottom-six center with alleged top-six talent.

Skeij, nout sure. I'll take your word for it.

We did draft Kreider, Stepan, Hagelin and Staal. We suck at drafting, face it. Not one of those guys is exactly on stellar trajectory. Zuccarello is. Girardi was (for a season). McDonagh made it there. We drafted 0 of them. Lundqvist is the best player we've drafted in 25 year. He's the ONLY stellar player we've drafted since Marc Savard.

This team is bad at drafting, yes.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
MDZ had one very good year, one above-average, one bad and one horrible. And he's regressing.

Miller has proved nothing and looks more and more like a career bottom-six center with alleged top-six talent.

We did draft Kreider, Stepan, Hagelin and Staal. We suck at drafting, face it. Not one of those guys is exactly on stellar trajectory. Zuccarello is. Girardi was (for a season). McDonagh made it there. We drafted 0 of them. Lundqvist is the best player we've drafted in 25 year. He's the ONLY stellar player we've drafted since Marc Savard.

The sample size for drafting will almost always be too small to ever get a proper gauge on it. Additionally almost all analytic sources have shown that the majority of drafting is luck. Feel free to research it on google if you doubt.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
The sample size for drafting will almost always be too small to ever get a proper gauge on it. Additionally almost all analytic sources have shown that the majority of drafting is luck. Feel free to research it on google if you doubt.

Picking Hugh Jessiman over Ryan Getzlaf has nothing to do with luck, even 11 years ago.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

Miller will be fine although he probably doesnnt have Kreider's ceiling but i think he will end up beign a good 2nd or at worst 3rd line Center. Mcilrath was a big reach at 10 and from what i ahve seen he looks like a 3rd pair defenseman. I liked the Skjeil pick but he still needs devlopment time. Like someone else said our picks are usually late in teh round so that decreases the chances of getting a impact players. Considering we lost out last 3 1st ound picks we have to hope one of fast lindberg kristo pan out

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

This post is so pathetically misinformed it doesn't deserve a thought out response.

You think Zuccarello is spectacular and Kreider isn't/won't be. Tells me all I need to know.
Oh? And what about picking Robert Nilsson over Getzlaf? Or Steve Bernier? Or Eric Fehr?

They aren't the Rangers so it doesn't count.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
You know that time we picked a few guys before datsyuk? Yea we suck atdrafting **** you sather

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York

Where do you get your controlled substances, I want some

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The teams who are always in contention.. draft very well.. that's one thing that sets them apart from the Rangers..

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I'm in the mega-minority, but I want Spezza. I think Sather and co. look at Thornton and ROR, realize the asking prices are too high, and either get creative with something off the radar (like Goc) or pray Brassard can handle 2C, and Miller can handle 3C.

Do we really want Miller centering MSL, though? ........

Dubinsky centered Jagr, playing with a rookie didn't stop him from scoring. If Miller can keep up with St. Louis and Hagelin I think that line would be just dandy. Hopefully Miller is invited to spend some time with St. Louis up in CT this summer, that way he'll come into camp in much better shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad