Speculation: Who will the Leafs draft at #4 ? Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

I dont think Strome and Marner should be even compared, Marner is better

The question should be Marner or Hanifin

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Actually some new information came to light about Marner in the Erie series. Apparently Dale was so mad that Marner did not prepare himself better for the second blindside this year he benched him for the rest of the year. So no concerns.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Actually some new informaation came to light about Marner in the Erie series. Apparently Dale was so mad that Marner did not prepare himself better for the second blindside this year he benched him for the rest of the year. So no concerns.

I don't see a coach being THAT stupid, and nothing he could of done about it.

91Kadri91*

This is precious... Ahhh... the irony...

My analysis is not based, in any way, on my ability to analyze. My opinion is derived from an algorithm that is entirely unbiased, not the inherently misguiding perspective of human sight. I recognize that I am not capable of taking my untrained eye and placing value on its ability to present any reputable truths. My ability to recognize my own ineptitude not only debunks your specious suggestion of irony, but also tacitly reflects on your inability to recognize that, thus furthering my initial point.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Anyone else see Jason Allison when they look at Strome?

Big, not that physical, extremely skilled, slows down the play, but a poor skater. Not saying it as a bad thing, Allison had a 95 pt season, but his skating was career limiting
Strome is very different from Allison....

Steve Kournianos of The Draft Analyst: "Strome’s elite play with the puck and the way he protects it can make attempts at slowing him down both futile and nightmarish. He’s a hard match up who can carve up any game plan with precision puck movement. Strome is a big-bodied center who destroyed the OHL this year and did so while playing second fiddle to McDavid. He’s excellent at creating plays off the rush, but he also excels when the game is tightly checked and every lane is seemingly clogged. It is in the offensive zone where he uses his size, reach and elite vision to his advantage. He’s is a precise passer and gifted playmaker who epitomizes opportunistic; make a bad decision with him on the ice, and there’s a good chance you’re going pay for it. Strome is extremely patient with the puck but knows when to hold on and wait for better options or simply let one rip. He can certainly be classified as a goal scorer; he favors an excellent wrist shot over the slapper, both fired with very good accuracy."

Elite offensive forward…a big forward who moves well, and demonstrated some very good power and speed…is tough to contain as he used his speed, strength and creativity to beat defenders...has great vision with the puck and sees the ice very well…uses his crafty hands to dance around defenders and get into positions where he could shoot or set-up teammates…distributes the puck well and is able to create a lot of chances…has a lethal wrist-shot with great power and a pretty good release…uses his size and reach on the boards to win the puck and get in good supporting areas to pick up loose pucks…defensive effort goes up and down. (August 2014)
Link

Jason Allison scouting report from TSN:

Assets:

Has tremendous offensive instincts. While he can find the back of the net, he's at his best when setting up his wingers. Has good face-off skills and plays with an abundance of patience.

Flaws:

Has always been a below-average skater. Could stand to shoot more and play a little more selfishly. May never be the player he was pre-migraine issues.

Yeah, he's similar. Pavelski and Tavares are "mediocre" skaters. Hell, even Malkin can be rather patient with the puck. The major difference between Strome and Allison is that he uses his size/ reach across the boards, picks out pucks, hounds the net, and possesses legitimate scoring instincts. If anything, the biggest difference between the two is that Strome can play a heavy game despite being skilled. Allison, much like Spezza, are pure skill - playmaking - centres. More so, his skating concerns are so overblown.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Give him hard minutes and all of those junk stats go straight out the window.

He's soft and dumb
It's hard to deny his talent considering that Carlyle was expecting to Gardiner to dwell in his zone and make Pronger-like passes to a lazy forward core. In fact, we were so bad at driving possession that Jake was essentially playing defensive zone minutes.

Under Horachek, Jake was given more free reign. Notice how well he was on the transition? I would argue that he our best defenceman in that regards. Better than Phaneuf. Better than Rielly. He makes things happen when he's allowed to play his game.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Actually some new information came to light about Marner in the Erie series. Apparently Dale was so mad that Marner did not prepare himself better for the second blindside this year he benched him for the rest of the year. So no concerns.

That damn Marner! Bust already! Better pick the big and good ol' Ontario boy Lawson Crouse!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Found this in the Ehlers thread:

CFBDfkrUIAAuPGV.png:large

Marner being that close to McDavid is pretty impressive, granted Erie was a deeper team but still.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
Honestly, while I know the flashy players who put up points are the fan's dream, I can't help but think getting a potential top 2 Dman will be better for the organization long-term.

mikebel111*

Honestly, while I know the flashy players who put up points are the fan's dream, I can't help but think getting a potential top 2 Dman will be better for the organization long-term.

so basically your saying all Marner does is put up points?

so very wrong there:shakehead

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
so basically your saying all Marner does is put up points?

so very wrong there:shakehead
I think that's being a bit overly defensive. Marner's defensive impact isn't going to be greater than Hanifin, no matter how well rounded his two-way game is. So it's still a fair point to suggest taking the d-man in this case over Marner.

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
I really hope posters here stop looking for weaknesses in the prospects they don't like, and look at the upsides of them as a group, It's almost 100% positive we are going to end up with one of Strome, Hanifin or Marner, and they are all very very good prospects and all of them have their fair share of possible weaknesses and strengths.
But I can see some very biased uninformed posters are going to go insane no matter who we select, honestly you can't go wrong with any one of them right now, we are going to either get a 6'3 extremely talented 1st line centre in Strome, or a hardworking top line forward with vision and speed plus 2 way ability in Marner, or a possible power play quarterback minute eating top paring D-man in Hanifin

I don't know about anyone but I'm just excited to get anyone of these guys and don't want to sour on anyone of them

stonewalled

Apr 13, 2015
Hoping for Hanifin - Marner - Strome BUT cant get the thought out of my head that Strome will be the next Ryan Johansen.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I really hope posters here stop looking for weaknesses in the prospects they don't like, and look at the upsides of them as a group, It's almost 100% positive we are going to end up with one of Strome, Hanifin or Marner, and they are all very very good prospects and all of them have their fair share of possible weaknesses and strengths.
But I can see some very biased uninformed posters are going to go insane no matter who we select, honestly you can't go wrong with any one of them right now, we are going to either get a 6'3 extremely talented 1st line centre in Strome, or a hardworking top line forward with vision and speed plus 2 way ability in Marner, or a possible power play quarterback minute eating top paring D-man in Hanifin

I don't know about anyone but I'm just excited to get anyone of these guys and don't want to sour on anyone of them
Same here. I wouldn't mind any of them to be honest.

This draft is really great. I don't even remember people going into this kind of detail in the 2004 draft. You just knew that Oveckin and Malkin had generational talent but Barker, Ladd ( like him, btw), Wheeler, Smid and what not seemed a lot more down to Earth. Now we have guys like big LW Jordan Greenway, Smid-like D in the high 2nd, bottom 1st range never mind elite selections in Hanifin, Marner, Strome, Barzal and what not.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Give him hard minutes and all of those junk stats go straight out the window.

He's soft and dumb

The numbers that have been shown takes that into account.

You should give a read to how "big" effect all these hard minutes actually have.

Oh, and talking about limiting shots, scoring chances and goals against when talking about defense is junk stats? If only there were a stat that measured how nasty a player is in board battles, because that obviously matters much more.

Well said. Unfortunately, it's become clear that there will be some that will absolutely riot no matter who we choose.

Found this in the Ehlers thread:

CFBDfkrUIAAuPGV.png:large

Marner being that close to McDavid is pretty impressive, granted Erie was a deeper team but still.

Never been a fan of looking too hard at team percentage numbers. I think it has a lot more to do with whether or not you are on a deep team rather than the player himself.

Last edited:

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I've warmed up to the idea of drafting Strome. Still prefer Marner or Hanifin, but drafting a natural big C would be a nice too.

He's very patient with the puck and doesn't seem to make any mistakes. Always looking for an open teammate if he can't shoot or looking to get open if the puck isn't on his stick.

Defensively he's always in a position to disrupt the play or cut off an outlet pass, which is surprising for someone who could potentially find himself behind the play because of his skating.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
In all honesty - I really like all 3 prospects and am just sooo glad that it's not my decision, haha.

I will happy no matter what - but will dance naked in the streets if they can somehow find a way to grab one of the 3 PLUS Barzal! I don't know what it is, but I get the feeling that in 3 / 4 years the question will be "how was he not considered in that group?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad