Speculation: Who will the Leafs draft at #4 ? Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last thread is at its limit ..Continue discussion here.

Steve Simmons - Sun

Before they ended up with third pick in the NHL Draft, the Arizona Coyotes told one of the agents for Dylan Strome that they wouldn’t pass on him in the draft. Now that the Coyotes are picking third, odds are they select defenceman Noah Hanifin, leaving Strome or Mitchell Marner available for the Maple Leafs picking fourth — and the Leafs might be leaning in the direction of Marner ...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Previous Thread : Poll: Speculation: Who will we draft with #4? Part III ‎(
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
The last thread had some great stuff on Strome at the end. Getting some unwarranted hate and I too think the gap is much closer than people would like to admit.

Has he been good in the playoffs? If you didn't watch the games, the productions fine. But to me it looks like he's playing hurt (no idea, not a doctor). So IMO, I think there's a bit of recency bias going on, as well as people are turned off from skaters that aren't fast.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The last thread had some great stuff on Strome at the end. Getting some unwarranted hate and I too think the gap is much closer than people would like to admit.

Has he been good in the playoffs? If you didn't watch the games, the productions fine. But to me it looks like he's playing hurt (no idea, not a doctor). So IMO, I think there's a bit of recency bias going on, as well as people are turned off from skaters that aren't fast.

Strome hasn't been overly good in the playoffs. Pretty average. You'd expect him to take over games a lot more for his pedigree. Injured or not and playing behind McDavid or not. He's still a great prospect though and definitely top 5.

His negatives can be a turn off to many people though, like not playing an aggressive style with his huge frame. Maybe it's a little unwarranted, probably because he's being nitpicked a lot since he's one of the only top end prospects still playing, but still warranted. You want those kind of players to elevate their games when it matters the most and see the fire in their game.

The upside is there. You just have to make sure the upside is better, or at least just as good as Hanifin or even Marner.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My order of preference for the #4 pick hasn't really changed.

Hanifin
Marner
Strome
Barzal

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Steve Simmons - Sun

Why would this change if they moved down one spot? Either way, I find it hard to believe that they told Strome's agent that they wouldn't be passing on him when they were sitting on the Eichel pick.

Marner is going to be the better player IMO, so I really don't have a problem with us being forced into Marner/Hanifin. Would be fine with all 3 though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This was quote from Euro scout Thommie Bergman after last years draft

The decision to select William Nylander with the eighth overall pick appears to represent a change in philosophy with the Leafs, especially after playing it safe with past first-rounders Frederik Gauthier, Tyler Biggs and Stuart Percy. Even Bergman was surprised the Leafs ended up with Nylander.

Not so much because he is a high-risk, high-reward European, but rather because he was available.

“I was more afraid that he was not going to be there,†said Bergman. “I thought he was going to go at five. He’s extremely talented. He has to be a little bit stronger, but his hands, his skating, everything is high level.â€

Hands. Skating. Skill level.

Those are the three defining characteristics that Bergman looks for in a prospect. He’d rather have a 5-foot-10 winger who can skate, deke through defenders and score highlight-reel goals than a big, power forward who can hit and fight.

Full Story: http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...-the-toronto-maple-leafs-european-draft-picks
By Bergman's scouting prerequisite it would seem Marner would fit his checklist and get his vote for Leafs pick @#4.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
i dont see how the leaf pass on hanifin if he is there at 4. if arizona takes hanifin i think strome is our guy. i just think his upside + size is too goo to pass up on at 4. i wouldnt be upset at all with marner but i dont see how you take him over the other 2.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This was quote from Euro scout Thommie Bergman after last years draft

By Bergman's scouting prerequisite it would seem Marner would fit his checklist and get his vote for Leafs pick @#4.

Probably because you win by scoring goals, not fighting or hitting.

Marner is more then just an offensive machine though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Before they ended up with third pick in the NHL Draft, the Arizona Coyotes told one of the agents for Dylan Strome that they wouldn’t pass on him in the draft. Now that the Coyotes are picking third, odds are they select defenceman Noah Hanifin, leaving Strome or Mitchell Marner available for the Maple Leafs picking fourth — and the Leafs might be leaning in the direction of Marner ...

How does this make sense? They were going to have the #2 pick, and were going to use it for Strome, instead of Eichel... but now that they have #3, where they could still get Strome (highly likely), they will pick Hanifin instead?? What a strange statement.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Probably because you win by scoring goals, not fighting or hitting.

Marner is more then just an offensive machine though.

If Futa is hired how long before he cans Bergman and his backwards thinking?

Todd Skill

Feb 17, 2012
After everything I've been reading lately, more and more I think that the Leafs are going to swing for the fences with Marner's upside. Nothing against Strome, but I get the feeling he's slipping into the (perceived) safe/decent pick, while Marner could be the flashy burst of hope and skill they want to build around with Nylander. Having said that, I also see Leaf fans complaining over the next 3 or so years that we need some skilled players that have size. I trust the Leafs (for once), to take the best player and hope it's one of the big 3 after McEichel.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
After everything I've been reading lately, more and more I think that the Leafs are going to swing for the fences with Marner's upside. Nothing against Strome, but I get the feeling he's slipping into the (perceived) safe/decent pick, while Marner could be the flashy burst of hope and skill they want to build around with Nylander. Having said that, I also see Leaf fans complaining over the next 3 or so years that we need some skilled players that have size. I trust the Leafs (for once), to take the best player and hope it's one of the big 3 after McEichel.

The Nylander -- Marner combo could become Leafs version of Nyqvist and Tatar of the Wings.

Make Babcock feel at home with similar style smaller skilled players to deploy his system.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Futa is hired how long before he cans Bergman and his backwards thinking?

Probably a prerequisite before even thinking of signing with the Leafs.

The Nylander -- Marner combo could become Leafs version of Nyqvist and Tatar of the Wings.

Make Babcock feel at home with similar style smaller skilled players to deploy his system.

Eh... Nylander and Marner combo is a lot closer to a Mogilny and Gilmour combo.

Shoot for the stars!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Steve Simmons - Sun

That doesn't make a lot of sense. The Coyotes would have been in the position to draft Eichel before the lottery, so taking Strome at 3rd would make perfect sense, leaving us with Hanifin or Marner.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I think the Leafs board is

Hanifin
Strome
Marner
Barzal

...wouldnt bother me if that was the case, Marner may have more skills, but, in a long series, a big body tends to do well

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
How does this make sense? They were going to have the #2 pick, and were going to use it for Strome, instead of Eichel... but now that they have #3, where they could still get Strome (highly likely), they will pick Hanifin instead?? What a strange statement.

I just asked about this as well....

Steve Simmons has no idea what he's talking about.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

Yeah, none of that made any sense.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

That's Steve Simmons for you. Reading his articles is an exercise in losing brain cells.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Simmons has SOME sources within MLSE. He seems a little out to lunch with this though.

Hunter has been at some Erie games recently as well but I can't imagine he walked away with a positive impression of Strome.

I've seen 2 games of this series so far. McDavid has been amazing (agility and the way he accelerates is insane) while Strome has been a non-factor. The injury must be significant for him to have a showing like this.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Simmons has SOME sources within MLSE. He seems a little out to lunch with this though.

Hunter has been at some Erie games recently as well but I can't imagine he walked away with a positive impression of Strome.

I've seen 2 games of this series so far. McDavid has been amazing (agility and the way he accelerates is insane) while Strome has been a non-factor. The injury must be significant for him to have a showing like this.

I'm sure the information will be released after the series (or memorial cup).

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, that oddity is Simmons for you.

In the end think it's a pretty good tossup with Hanfin, Strome, Marner. They should have a pretty good read about things by now. Just see how things go at the combine, get in those interviews, and we'll see how it all works out.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Some reason my post disappeared but yes they will be an amazing combo, as previously mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad