Who will leave the bigger legacy: Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Let me see how their careers end.

But Crosby just due to Canadian bias and worthless exhibition tournaments like the Olympics
false. although Canadian bias in hockey is a real thing ,but Crosby is one of the greatest playoff performers of all time.Ovechkin has been under appreciated as a playoff performer as well though. only recently did he get some help and he won a cup. Crosby has done it much longer.if ovi breaks Wayne's record then its obviously him but I'd say it's pretty close right now for it going either way.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
It’s really hard to say the best goal scorer of all time isn’t a bigger legacy than best all around center and captain for a decade.

If I’m building a team in 05 I take Crosby for sure since he’s a more well rounded player. If I’m talking about the best players I’ve ever seen play in the game when I’m old in 2060, I’m talking about Ovechkin. Not Crosby.

Ovi is an absolute monster unlike anything I’ve ever seen. And this is coming from someone who hates the caps.

Reactions: max21

HockeySniper

May 13, 2018
Malkin easily. But in all seriousness it’s obviously Ovi. As great as Crosby is Ovechkin is reaching mt Rushmore type legacy

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
to the casual fan, Ovechkin with his gaudy goals.. To hockey fans though, Crosby... he just wins.

Reactions: sanscosm

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Ovechkin.

Every great goalscorer will be compared to him for decades whether he passes Gretzky or not. Every great playmaker will still be compared to Gretzky or Mario, not Crosby.

It's not to take away anything from Crosby who leaves a great legacy himself too considering all he has won.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Golden goal, 3 career cups. much higher PPG with similar numbers and 200 less games played.. is this really a question?

If AO breaks Gretz' goals record then I may change my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouboumaster

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Golden goal, 3 career cups. much higher PPG with similar numbers and 200 less games played.. is this really a question?

If AO breaks Gretz' goals record then I may change my mind.

Is there hardware for most points per game? Those games you miss for injury count against you. They are zeros. Playing those games counts for you. More points is more points.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
As it stands right now, Crosby.

If Ovie breaks Gretzky's record, then of course it's Ovie. The point of hockey is to put the puck in the net, and Ovie would be the best ever at doing that. So yes, him.

If Ovie simply wins another Cup, Crosby does not, I think it's a toss up.

Reactions: kicksavedave

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
false. although Canadian bias in hockey is a real thing ,but Crosby is one of the greatest playoff performers of all time.Ovechkin has been under appreciated as a playoff performer as well though. only recently did he get some help and he won a cup. Crosby has done it much longer.if ovi breaks Wayne's record then its obviously him but I'd say it's pretty close right now for it going either way.

That's why I said wait until their careers end. If Ovi scores 900 it will be hard to argue against him

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Honestly, this one is very hard, both sides have their arguments. On an individual level, I feel like Ovechkin has been somewhat more impressive. At the same time you can't argue against Crosby's winning resume.

They're very close, if I was starting a franchise, I would choose Crosby to build my team around. But if I'm ranking them, I would probably put Ovechkin slightly ahead.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Question can't be answered due to insufficient information. Crosby could easily play another 8+ years, Ovie 6+. Furthermore, so much of the latters legacy is contingent on breaking the all-time goals record; which at this point can only be speculated.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ovechkin seems to get better with age and is not slowing down.

Both will be remembered equally.

Ovechkin gets better with age? He peaked at 24 and declined rapidly after 2010 in terms f overall dominance.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The answer was easily Crosby until like a month ago, now people are buying the goal chase hype super hard. Until the next cool thing Crosby does.

Reactions: Pia8988

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby. Ovechkin has only been past the second round once and done poorly internationally. A big part of legacy is high stakes games.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Ovechkin. Crosby will go down as a top 5-10 player ever, no doubt. Ovechkin will go down as the best goal scorer ever. Sorry but it isn't even close, Ovechkin will always be right around Crosby as an overall player (Crosby likely wins here) but Crosby won't touch Ovechkin in overall legacy.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
If Ovie breaks the goal record it would have to be Ovie. I like Crosby better and wish more young stars would follow his example but they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad