Who will break out in 2020/21

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
A healthy Travis Dermott cemented in the lineup with a reliable partner should open some eyes. Really underrated defenceman who many leafs fans are calling to be traded. I dont wanna see him go.

If we keep Johnsson and he is healthy all year he could put up big numbers depending who he plays with and/or if he sees powerplay time.

Also not really a "breakout", but I am excited to see us finally have a good backup in Campbell. Hoping he excels in his 25-30ish starts.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think for the Oiler Yamamto is the obvious choice, although depends if he counts as he already kinda broke out in a limited amount of games.

The other guy for me is Ethan Bear. Does he really step up and improve on this past season. Gonna be interesting to see the makeup of our defense next year. Does he end up getting more PP time? As it was last year at ES he did out produce Klefbom.

I am a huge believer in Bear... hes doing in the NHL exactly what hes done growing up..

First year bantam pretty good, second year bantam did better and could see the potential but wasnt a 1st round bantam pick(2nd round to Seattle) and then awesome midget year and people couldnt believe he wasnt a 1st rounder...

Made Seattle as a 16 year old.. had a so/so season offensively but the rest of his game you could tell he could become special.. 17 year old he started getting better and was being mentored by Shea Theodore on the back end... once Theo left to pro hockey when Bear was 18, the backend belonged to Bear and he really took off and was dominant at 18 and 19 years old and he was deadly as the top of the umbrella on the PP with Barzal off to his side.

IMO it will either be next season or the season after when Bear becomes an extremely good player and starts dominating. If somehow Oils can pay a little more and sign him longterm, I honestly think it will be a massive steal in a couple years

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I am a huge believer in Bear... hes doing in the NHL exactly what hes done growing up..

First year bantam pretty good, second year bantam did better and could see the potential but wasnt a 1st round bantam pick(2nd round to Seattle) and then awesome midget year and people couldnt believe he wasnt a 1st rounder...

Made Seattle as a 16 year old.. had a so/so season offensively but the rest of his game you could tell he could become special.. 17 year old he started getting better and was being mentored by Shea Theodore on the back end... once Theo left to pro hockey when Bear was 18, the backend belonged to Bear and he really took off and was dominant at 18 and 19 years old and he was deadly as the top of the umbrella on the PP with Barzal off to his side.

IMO it will either be next season or the season after when Bear becomes an extremely good player and starts dominating. If somehow Oils can pay a little more and sign him longterm, I honestly think it will be a massive steal in a couple years
Bear's best thing he's done was change his lifestyle and commit to hockey last year. Better eating, less drinking, more time in the gym etc...

I'm sure after seeing the results he's gonna be trying harder this off-season. Heck, one would hope guys he played with in the AHL in 18-19 are seeing what he did.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Sam Steel. His IQ is great and he's been getting acclimated to the league. I look for him to provide some playmaking if he's able to play with a good shooter, something Anaheim is lacking.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Bear's best thing he's done was change his lifestyle and commit to hockey last year. Better eating, less drinking, more time in the gym etc...

I'm sure after seeing the results he's gonna be trying harder this off-season. Heck, one would hope guys he played with in the AHL in 18-19 are seeing what he did.

Yes he was always a little soft everywhere through junior and it was known if he puts the effort in off ice that he will dominate.

That was Bear (in the middle) right before he left for his rookie season in pro... was always a little soft looking... just dont compare his body with Barzal lol

Reactions: joestevens29

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
A few guys come to mind.

1. Adam Boqvist: Always liked Boqvist. I think when he plays an increased role next season we could see him have a really strong year.

2. Clayton Keller: Still think he’s got another gear that we haven’t seen yet at the NHL level.

3. Owen Tippett: Florida has been nice and patient with Tippett. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was one of the top rookies next season.

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
Jack Hughes. He may not have had an eventful season, but he wasn't really bad on the puck from what I've seen. If he puts on some weight, and Devils coaching staff finds a good role for him (maybe on the wing) he'll show some improvement for sure.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Yes he was always a little soft everywhere through junior and it was known if he puts the effort in off ice that he will dominate.

That was Bear (in the middle) right before he left for his rookie season in pro... was always a little soft looking... just dont compare his body with Barzal lol

Holy crap. I’m not gay but I wouldn’t kick Barzal out of my bed for eating crackers. If I looked like that I’d never be married. Just slay girls all day and night. Sweet Jesus.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Matt Roy.

Paused so you who read this can answer "who?" for yourself. He went from a 7th rounder and 3 years at Michigan Tech to a short, solid AHL run, a solid chunk in 18-19 to being the Kings best defenseman in 19-20.

He does everything well, and spent the last half of this year adding a sharp physical edge and booming point shot to an already impressive set of steady, reliable reads and breakout passes. His geek numbers are fantastic. His brief NHL career has seen nothing but constant upward trajectory, and he will be well above the 20 minute average mark next year.

Smarks like me will talk him up while the casual fan sleeps on him until the pundits take more notice by mid year. Look for a 35-40 point, +30 2020-21 season.

Reactions: Flow

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
I could really see Andrei Svechnikov breaking out to the super star category. He had a big year this season but with his skill level and scoring ability i wouldn't be surprised if he scored 90+ points next year. And playing with Aho and TT could certainly help. That line is simply fantastic.

From defensemen i have high expectations towards MacKenzie Weegar. He was one of the best players in Florida before his injury and his offensive talent blew me away cause he had really flew under the radar in my eyes before. Could score close to 50 points next season but it'd require some PP time also. Samuel Girard is a another D man worth mentioning but he has kinda broken out already.

Last but not the least there's a player whose breakout i've been waiting for years and he's JOEL ARMIA. A great player with crazy talent but he has no finish to his game which is a bit mind boggling considering he was known as a goal scorer when he was younger. He did score 16+14 in 58 games this season and is only (yeah "only") 27. I believe in Joel Armia and i will never give up on him! NEVER!
I agree with you about Svechnikov. A 90 plus point season is realistically if he continuous to develop :)

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hes a weird situation cause he kinda broke out massively the second he stepped on the ice this season already lol... the kid is unbelievable

Last season he was paying too much attention to what his teammates were doing and wasn't playing his game. It was really weird. It's like he had too much respect for his linemates. Was literally afraid to handle the puck. He'd pass the puck off as quickly as he could gain control of it.

His AHL numbers looked good, but he wasn't destroying the AHL. Got really comfortable playing his style of game against men, which involves a lot more than just putting up points. There are so many players who look completely ordinary in the NHL until they actually become confident that they can translate their game into the NHL and that happened over this season for Yamma.

How often do rookies lead playoff teams in +/-, anyway? I'm not yet convinced that we'll ever see him put up 35 goals, but I'm expecting a ton more points out of his next season. Also have a feeling that we'll see him get some time on the PK in the coming seasons.

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
Probably a lot of midget minor players, maybe some junior ones too if they are late to hit puberty

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I could see Kotkaniemi have a good year. He seems to have bulked up, which was one big problem; constantly being knocked over.

Not sure it'll be this year or next, and not sure it qualifies as he'd be a rookie, but I could see Merkley from the Sharks making an instant impact.

Reactions: Zahra Starker

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Hintz and Gurianov were already having good seasons, especially considering how low TOI they were getting. If the Stars get a coach who opens up the offense a bit and lets those guys run they could each hit 30 goals.
I could see Guryanov exploding next season, is quick, got great hands, is a pure sniper. I could see him reach the 35 goals plateau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad