Who will break out in 2020/21

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I really don't think thats safe to say at all. When he requested a trade Chia was the GM, Todd was the coach and the Oilers were out of the playoffs. All of those have changed and I could see him getting another chance

Puljujarvi has made a request for trade on numerous fronts, his latest was when Holland was already a GM.

Why does Oilers being in our out of the playoffs have any weight on Puljujarvi demanding a trade? He isnt some veteran looking for win cup asap.

In fact its probably a better situation for him to be on a team that doesnt have a playoff level roster than one that does in which case he probably cant crack the lineup.

He and his agents have made it abundantly clear that its time for him to move away from Edmonton.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
In New Jersey, I would expect to see big production jumps for the following guys:

Nico Hischier
Jack Hughes
Jesper Bratt
Nikitia Gusev

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I really think Drake Batherson has a legit shot at 50-60 points next year. Anywhere in that top 6 with power play time will cement him as an nhl regular.

Not sure if it would count, but would Thomas Chabot he breaking out if he hits 70+ points.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Gabe Vilardi for the Kings...seemingly broken back a few years ago to lighting it up in the NHL today. Him and Martin Frk should do well playing a full season.

Came to post the same. Dude stepped out of a year and a half out of hockey and jumped basically straight from juniors to pro at a 25 goal 60 point pace.

Some more time for rest, rehab, skills should see him take off next year.

Plus he's easy to root for. Affable, and dude just loves the game. He was absolutely giddy in interviews.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
I could really see Andrei Svechnikov breaking out to the super star category. He had a big year this season but with his skill level and scoring ability i wouldn't be surprised if he scored 90+ points next year. And playing with Aho and TT could certainly help. That line is simply fantastic.

From defensemen i have high expectations towards MacKenzie Weegar. He was one of the best players in Florida before his injury and his offensive talent blew me away cause he had really flew under the radar in my eyes before. Could score close to 50 points next season but it'd require some PP time also. Samuel Girard is a another D man worth mentioning but he has kinda broken out already.

Last but not the least there's a player whose breakout i've been waiting for years and he's JOEL ARMIA. A great player with crazy talent but he has no finish to his game which is a bit mind boggling considering he was known as a goal scorer when he was younger. He did score 16+14 in 58 games this season and is only (yeah "only") 27. I believe in Joel Armia and i will never give up on him! NEVER!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Pavel Zacha is the new Alex Galchenyuk, "this has to be the year!!!"

I would agree but the only reason I see any reason to be optimistic for this coming year is that he'll finally play under a coach that isn't John Hynes, hopefully one that's somewhat competent. If he can't get his shit together under a new coaching staff, especially if it's a guy like Gallant, then it's a lost cause. He is what he is at that point.

Reactions: JT Kreider

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I think we’ll see a few players from the 2017 draft class take that next step. Talented players like Robert Thomas, Nick Suzuki, and Martin Necas would all be good picks here.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think for the Oiler Yamamto is the obvious choice, although depends if he counts as he already kinda broke out in a limited amount of games.

The other guy for me is Ethan Bear. Does he really step up and improve on this past season. Gonna be interesting to see the makeup of our defense next year. Does he end up getting more PP time? As it was last year at ES he did out produce Klefbom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad