Who will be the steal of the draft?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I can see Boone Jenner being a Jeff Carter/Mike Richards guy in 3-4 years.

LOL

So is he going to be like Richards or like Carter? They are pretty dramatically different. Richards is a bit undersized and not the best skater but high character and grit plus hockey sense off the charts, above average hands. Carter is bigger and a very good skater but plays smaller, vision and hockey sense are only average but he is a very good finisher, a bit on the soft side.

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
LOL

So is he going to be like Richards or like Carter? They are pretty dramatically different. Richards is a bit undersized and not the best skater but high character and grit plus hockey sense off the charts, above average hands. Carter is bigger and a very good skater but plays smaller, vision and hockey sense are only average but he is a very good finisher, a bit on the soft side.

I think he was comparing them as a power forward type...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Sproul: He'd be rated a lot higher if he was given an opportunity a lot early. His story of perseverance always gets me and i feel his dedication will take him far. Once he was given a chance he ran away with it and moved up quite a few rounds (i think at one point he wasnt even rated). This guy will be a stud.

That is the exact player I was going to bring up. Some team is going to get a real bargain for lots of potential.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Sproul: He'd be rated a lot higher if he was given an opportunity a lot early. His story of perseverance always gets me and i feel his dedication will take him far. Once he was given a chance he ran away with it and moved up quite a few rounds (i think at one point he wasnt even rated). This guy will be a stud.

Sproul showed up almost 10 games into the year, was a healthy scratch one or twice, and then was used as a 6th defensemen... then he started scoring. He was lights out for the last half of the year, he would be a great steal. Who doesn't like 6'4" defensemen, who can skate, and have a heavy shot.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The claim will likely be whoever is deemed a consensus higher pick by draft publications who on draft day finds himself falling through the cracks until someone takes the guy late. Seems to happen every year -- granted, the guys this happen to seem also to fall through the proverbial cracks afterward as well, typically justifying their plunge in the eyes of the professionals vs. the pundits.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I think theres a couple of good prospects in SEL-2 that don't get the kind of hype they deserve. I keep hyping them when I get a chance. Theese players might not turn in to the steal of the drafts but they could be steals, only Bengtsson is considered to be a pick for the three first rounds at the moment.

Pathrik Westerholm from Malmö could certainly be had in the last couple of rounds and is defenitely worth a shot. The kid got great offensive skills. Draft his twin brother too, so you can have a couple of a very poor mans Sedins in your prospect pool.

Rasmus Bengtsson from Rögle, isn't talked about much (Larsson, Brodin and Klefbom steals the spotlight) but have delivered on every level, SEL-2, Superelit and U-18 WC. He needs to improve some stuff but he could really be a diamond in the rough.

William Karlsson from Västerås had a great u-18 WC together with his buddy Gustav Björklund. Unlike Björklund, Karlsson got decent size. He has developed fantastic this season and he plays for a club that have a tradition of developing good centers.

Patrik Norén from Leksand is a lateborn 92 that proved before his unlucky injury that he is a good puckmoving d-man in the making. He could probably be had in a late round and it's not unlikely at all that he develops to a NHL-defenseman from what I have seen.

Besides theese kids I also think the austrian Konstantin Komarek that plays for Luleå deserves a pick. He might not have elite skills, but he could develop to a really good energy player on NHL-level.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The answer to this question is very easy: According to hf, the steals of the draft will be those that fall on draft day compared to their rankings.

So you'd say Fowler wasn't a steal at 12? One of like 4 2010 draftees to play full time. He contributed more to his team's success and overall points than second overall.

arsmaster*

Where should he go and where will he go, in your opinion?

Late 2nd early 3rd.

The kid looks like he is 12, wait until he puts on some "man mass", he will be hard to stop. He skates well, and will skate better as he gets stronger and isnt afraid to fight even though he's a beanpole.

I like him anywhere from 45-80.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So you'd say Fowler wasn't a steal at 12? One of like 4 2010 draftees to play full time. He contributed more to his team's success and overall points than second overall.

He's talking about the annual list of guys who go two or three (or more) rounds lower than the publications and pundits predict, not someone who goes seven or eight spots lower. That takes nothing away from Fowler -- great kid, fine player, very happy to see him succeeding in Anaheim -- but the talk here often goes from who might be a value pick compared to projection (or even better, why someone fell) into trumpeting the "steal"-iness of the selection, as though it is a done deal that the player will live up to what had the predictions placing them in a given round.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Pageau. I saw a few games where he was playing. Great player with great skill. Kinda lost in the mix.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
From Finnish canditates, Miikka Salomäki and Jyrki Jokipakka might end up being steals. They're both considered to be late-rounders but I can easily see them ending up in the NHL rather soon. Jokipakka is a latebloomer who played excellent U20-tournament. Both play the game North American style.

backdoorpass

stuart percey and shane prince who will be like a claude giroux

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'll reserve my comments for after the draft. There are certain players that seem to be flying under the radar that IMO stand a good chance of being first rounders (such as Nieto).

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
alex grenier: 6'5, 200 pounds, has the sort of ability to go "undercover" and pop out and make a devastating wrist shot or something. doesn't always use his frame, first year in the Q iirc. Like Guillaume Latendresse, except even bigger and a better shot. can top out as a 30-40g type of guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad