Who will be the first NHL Coach fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Hynes should get his shit kicked in for that loss. I don't know any way he stays longer than a month if that (massive lead blown) happens multiple times.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Todd McLellan?

Previous two coaches, Stevens and Desjardins didn't last long at all, so arguably LA not being gun shy increases the odds?
They gave him a 5 year deal and he’s yet to coach a single game. Seems highly unlikely he’s fired any time in the next three years at the earliest.

Reactions: qqaz

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Don't know if he will be first but I feel that if the Canucks don't improve by a considerable margin then Green will be gone, possibly by the all star break.
Why expect them to "improve by a considerable margin", when most of the middle and bottom-6 is trash?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Hynes with an early lead.

ya, it will be a big game for Hynes tomorrow IMO.

that is a game you have to be able to close out and you should be able to do that as a coach. up 4-0 at that point in the game should never be a loss

dude is an AHL coach who is in over his head

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
It wont be CJ

If he is fired anytime soon it will be because Molson finally decided enough is enough and fired everyone form the GM on down.....Also thats a summer type move.

Babcock will be gonzo by xmas......

No chance

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
To anyone saying Babcock: the only way that happens is if the Leafs miss the playoffs or lose in the first round again. So unless you're expecting zero NHL coaches to get fired between now and April at the earliest, Babcock is wrong choice here. That being said, I'd like to be wrong on this because I think he needs to go.
It's the only coach's name they know outside of their own ;)

Leafs are haunting HF dreams

Reactions: qqaz and Incognito

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Babcock. Sooner the better

No chance. I'm no T.O. fan but that team is one of the best in the league. For a coach to be fire the team has to be right off the rails. I don't see that happening in Toronto.

My prediction is Maurice in WPG. That blueline is below NHL standards and won't be able to sustain the long NHL season. I predict big struggles in WPG with the coach taking the fall.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
We've all been saying Paul Maurice all these years but highly doubt it's going to happen. Calling it though if he gets fired one of three things will happen.
1. TNSE moves him to a new position like player development or advisor until he gets a coaching job again.
2. He becomes Seattle's first-ever head coach.
3. He gets picked up after some other team fires their coach.

Ones I will say are Bruce Boudreau, I'd give Claude Julien till next year, but this is the first time in a while where most teams don't have a coach on the hot seat.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Didn’t Haynes sign an extension at end of last season? Not that it always matters but Shero seems to back him up 100% for now. If he does go he won’t be the first

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I can't believe Torts isn't getting much of a mention here when he's easily the first to go. The jackets are a skeleton of what they were and he's a demanding coach with a short shelf life wherever he's been. A slow start (which is likely given the improvements of Jersey and the Rangers combined with the Blue Jacket departures) and he's going to have one press conference too many that ends in a meltdown.

I hear people are saying Maurice, but that's more of a winnipeg fan fantasy than anything with substance. Winnipeg convinced a decent coach to live in Winnipeg during the winter, they aren't going to roll the dice that it could happen twice and replace Maurice. He's entrenched, get used to it.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I can't believe Torts isn't getting much of a mention here when he's easily the first to go. The jackets are a skeleton of what they were and he's a demanding coach with a short shelf life wherever he's been. A slow start (which is likely given the improvements of Jersey and the Rangers combined with the Blue Jacket departures) and he's going to have one press conference too many that ends in a meltdown.

I hear people are saying Maurice, but that's more of a winnipeg fan fantasy than anything with substance. Winnipeg convinced a decent coach to live in Winnipeg during the winter, they aren't going to roll the dice that it could happen twice and replace Maurice. He's entrenched, get used to it.

Any issues in Columbus this year are totally at the feet of the GM. They bought last year and went for it. It was a great run that came up short so no one will complain too much.

Torts will be fine, its not his fault he no longer has the horses to compete......

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Any issues in Columbus this year are totally at the feet of the GM. They bought last year and went for it. It was a great run that came up short so no one will complain too much.

Torts will be fine, its not his fault he no longer has the horses to compete......
That is all absolutely true, however when the team struggles is that going to matter? The GM isn't going to say "oh, this is my fault. I'll be quitting now" he's going to fire the coach and pretend the players need a new voice behind the bench. He isn't going to let Torts tell the press all year that he doesn't have the horses to compete when he's the guy responsible for the horses.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

Such a stupid comment. Coaches typically don't have the freedom to pick and choose where they go (there's limited jobs and their careers can be short), and when they do I'd think roster quality ranks above weather. They always have to be proving themselves for their next job because there's high turnover.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
To anyone saying Babcock: the only way that happens is if the Leafs miss the playoffs or lose in the first round again. So unless you're expecting zero NHL coaches to get fired between now and April at the earliest, Babcock is wrong choice here. That being said, I'd like to be wrong on this because I think he needs to go.

From a Feschuk article a few days ago:

Babcock was nearly made to walk the plank after the Maple Leafs lost to the Bruins in the first round last spring. Sources say there was considerable disagreement in the Maple Leafs front office on the matter of the famously stubborn head coach’s continuing employment. Certainly it’s no secret Babcock’s grind-and-size leanings don’t often jibe with GM Kyle Dubas’s skill-above-all vision of the sport. Clearly it was a point of contention that Babcock spent the season taking not-so-veiled shots at Toronto’s roster makeup.

In the end, there was influential support behind keeping Babcock around to begin the fifth year of his eight-year contract. Body-cam video of the relevant boardroom meeting has yet to become available, but it’s safe to say Brendan Shanahan, the team president who once played for Babcock in Detroit and hired him in Toronto in 2015, can be a powerful advocate.

Still, no executive-coach alliance is eternal, and the message to Babcock was clear. Room for error is minimal. Even a slow start to the season could be enough to thrust Marlies coach Sheldon Keefe into the Maple Leafs gig.

Mike Babcock’s tenure nearly ended last spring. Another first-round exit will seal the deal | The Star

I do think if the Leafs started off struggling and looked mediocre, Babcock could be fired relatively quickly. But I think there's probably too much talent on the team for that to happen in the regular season.

Reactions: CanuckCity

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Such a stupid comment. Coaches typically don't have the freedom to pick and choose where they go (there's limited jobs and their careers can be short), and when they do I'd think roster quality ranks above weather. They always have to be proving themselves for their next job because there's high turnover.

What's even more ironic about the post is that Winnipeg may have more NHL coaches within a 2 hour distance than any other franchise at the moment. Dave Lowry in Brandon coaching the Wheat Kings and James Patrick coaching the Winnipeg Ice. They don't seem to have an issue with weather.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
After watching the last 3 Shark games Deboer should be firmly in the number 1 spot to be canned. No systems in place and Vlasic is the only one playing D back there. Sharks are in trouble. EK already breaking sticks since he cant play in his own zone worth a damn.

Reactions: IlikeEich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad