Speculation: Who Will Be Signed?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I looked up the article where the rumor is coming from, which suggested that the Habs won't make a decision on him until the season ends so we should hear something in the next week or so I would think. I'm 100% on board with the SHL as Laval is going to be very young again so it won't bother me one bit if he spends next year in the SHL.

He is currently not signed by the NHL club - but a decision about his future will still not come until Montreal has finished the season.

In Liiga, Timrå's coach for next season, Olli Jokinen, has also followed Oliver Kapanen closely.

Reactions: jrom and Nevins

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
They need to appropriately space the arrivals of their prospects to the AHL. They're going to want to give prime minutes to Farrell, Mesar, Kidney, Tuch, Davidson and Beck next year. Kapanen would be an additional young guy.. probably better to have him play a year on the top line in a better professional league and then he can come in for Beck as I suspect Beck is a 1 and done AHLer.

Edit: And before people tag me and say Farrell or Mesar or whoever suck. The organization doesn't quit on people like fans do and nor should they.
Personnally, it's not about quitting. It's about asset management, knowing what you have in hand, knowing as best as you can about each player's ceiling...just before the other teams you trade with have any idea.

Personnally, and while I do make my share of mistakes....do you really have any NHL hope for Kidney? Or Farrell? Mesar...yeah, I'm clearly not a fan....but...it's clear that he does have the possible qualities to make it.

But yes, I understand the whole number of contracts vs number of spots available. I also am a BIG advocate to surround our kids with vets so you also have to add those guys.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Personnally, it's not about quitting. It's about asset management, knowing what you have in hand, knowing as best as you can about each player's ceiling...just before the other teams you trade with have any idea.

Personnally, and while I do make my share of mistakes....do you really have any NHL hope for Kidney? Or Farrell? Mesar...yeah, I'm clearly not a fan....but...it's clear that he does have the possible qualities to make it.

But yes, I understand the whole number of contracts vs number of spots available. I also am a BIG advocate to surround our kids with vets so you also have to add those guys.
The quality of our forward group potentially coming, is pretty thin on offensive talent.......that's simply the truth.
The sad truth. Too many years of Timmins and Bergy of drafting zeroes up front.....

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- Xhekaj signed
- Hutson signed
- Tuch to be signed according to Friedman and Hutson's IG Story
- Kapanen to be signed according to Patrik Bexell

When I asked Anthony Marcotte about Guindon, he said he hasn't heard his name all season from those in the Canadiens/Rocket staff. And with Owen Sound's season over and him not signed yet, looks like he won't be signed. Not sure if they will sign him to an AHL deal before next season. Similar to how they did with Stapley (his rights had expired and then weeks later, signed him to an AHL deal).

And regarding Pitlick, no news if he will turn pro or go back to college for another year.

Reactions: Nevins

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
- Xhekaj signed
- Hutson signed

When I asked Anthony Marcotte about Guindon, he said he hasn't heard his name all season from those in the Canadiens/Rocket staff. And with Owen Sound's season over and him not signed yet, looks like he won't be signed. Not sure if they will sign him to an AHL deal before next season. Similar to how they did with Stapley (his rights had expired and then weeks later, signed him to an AHL deal).

And regarding Pitlick, no news if he will turn pro or go back to college for another year.
Thanks

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
- Xhekaj signed
- Hutson signed

Guindon did have the worst year of his OHL career which isn't great for a D+2. It's not like they were stacked in previous years either. Team worst -30 too. I'd expect AHL tryout at best.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
- Xhekaj signed
  • - Hutson signed

Stapley was a free agent.

Guindon if unsigned goes back into the entry draft for one last shot.

If he is drafted, that team will sign him. If he is not drafted, we could consider an AHL deal.

His play disappointed me this year. I'm no longer sure Cedrick has the wheels to play in the NHL at his size.

I think Kapanen and Engstrom get signed. One or both will likely play in Sweden because making the Habs out of camp will be hard.

I also think Davidson gets a contract. Once again a heavier player with some offense.

So assuming Roy makes the Habs, we have the following guys starting rookie seasons in Laval in October:
  • Reinbacher
  • Hutson
  • Beck
  • Mesar
  • Tuch (I assume)
  • F. Xhekaj (likely)
Second year guys:
  • Dobes
  • Mailloux
  • Farrell
  • Heineman
  • Kidney
  • Davidson

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Nice. O still don't know why he's going to the swedish league next year instead of coming to the AHL to get used to the North American ice and game. Is it the money? The experience he'll gain in Sweden?

Space is very tight in Laval next year and we still have another year of his rights. Laval already has 12 F, 4 D, 1 G without re-signing anyone. We already have decisions to make on Biondi, Davidson and Guindon at forwards (and obviously will likely add some vets). Kapanen and Pitlick are the only forwards due to be signed in 2025.

In 2025, Farrell, Heineman, Perreault, Simoneau, Gignac and Condotta contracts are up so we have decisions to make. There's also a bunch of NHLer whose contracts end and could free up spots (Dvorak, Armia, Evans, RHP, Pezzetta).

Reactions: Shutdown

Jul 6, 2016
Space is very tight in Laval next year and we still have another year of his rights. Laval already has 12 F, 4 D, 1 G without re-signing anyone. We already have decisions to make on Biondi, Davidson and Guindon at forwards (and obviously will likely add some vets). Kapanen and Pitlick are the only forwards due to be signed in 2025.

In 2025, Farrell, Heineman, Perreault, Simoneau, Gignac and Condotta contracts are up so we have decisions to make. There's also a bunch of NHLer whose contracts end and could free up spots (Dvorak, Armia, Evans, RHP, Pezzetta).
Yes. Plenty of time to sign Kapanen. Biondi and Guindon won’t be signed. What’s up with Pitlick ?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If he signs to play in NA this year, I don't know how they are going to fit everyone. 26 forwards at the NHL/AHL level already if Ylonen and Davidson sign and Gignac/Condotta are the only vet AHL forwards.

I think the plan is that he will go to Sweden but maybe in the ELC both parties wanted to go to camp and get some exhibition games. If that play dictates he's a call-up option then maybe he stays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad