Speculation: Who Will Be Signed?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Does anyone know if these Habs prospects will make the jump to the professionals next year (Rocket Laval, Habs Montreal or Trois Rivieres Lions)?LukeTuch,Rhett Pittlick,David Reinbacher,Olivier Kapanen,Filip Mesar,Lane Hutson,Adam Engstrom,Alexander Gordin,Peteri Nurmi

Luke Tuch should be signed but he can choose anywhere he wants to go in the summer.

Pitlick may have played his way into an echl contract like Stapley a few years ago, he won't get an elc.

Reinbacher will be over.

Kapanen I'm not sure, he's really stagnated after a good year last year.

Mesar won't be going back to the OHL for an overage season.

We already know Kent Hughes plans on signing Hutson at the end of the year.

We know the preference is to have Engstrom over next year and I think with the Abbots being fired that it's even more likely.

No on Gordin and Nurmi.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I could see Nurmi signed... Especially if we make an upgrade trade that sees us trading some of the D prospect assets ahead of him

Reactions: Nevins

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
On twitter I saw where they were talking about which prospects they will sign or not. I was surprised almost none had Tourigny getting signed but to me he's almost a lock as why wouldn't you sign him, he's top 4 in points among All U-22 skaters in the ECHL, you might as well give him his 2 year ELC and see what happens.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Blake Biondi
Ty Smilanic
Jared Davidson
Cedrick Guindon
Petteri Nurmi
Luke Tuch
Miguel Tourigny

Right now these are the prospects who needs to be signed by June 1st

I think I would only sign 2 of them for sure Davidson & Tuch. Guindon is a maybe as is Nurmi although I think I’d let Nurmi walk and sign Engstrom the next summer. Tourigny, Biondi & Smilanic are definite No’s

Reactions: Habs13

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Blake Biondi
Ty Smilanic
Jared Davidson
Cedrick Guindon
Petteri Nurmi
Luke Tuch
Miguel Tourigny

Right now these are the prospects who needs to be signed by June 1st

I think I would only sign 2 of them for sure Davidson & Tuch. Guindon is a maybe as is Nurmi although I think I’d let Nurmi walk and sign Engstrom the next summer. Tourigny, Biondi & Smilanic are definite No’s
Tuch and Davidson

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
According to Habs Prospect Signing Deadlines
The following prospects need to be signed or we lose their rights:

June 1, 2024:
Jared Davidson (5/130 – Seattle, WHL)
Cedrick Guindon (4/127 – Owen Sound, OHL)
Petteri Nurmi (7/194, 2022 – HPK, SM-liiga)
Miguel Tourigny (7/216, 2022 – Acadie-Bathurst, QMJHL)

August 15, 2024:
Blake Biondi (4/109, 2020 – Minnesota-Duluth, NCAA)
Rhett Pitlick (5/131, 2019 – Minnesota, NCAA)*
Ty Smilanic (3/74, 2020 – Wisconsin, NCAA)
Luke Tuch (2/47, 2020 – Boston University, NCAA)

I'm guessing Davidson and Tuch will get contracts and the rest will walk. I'm an amateur and don't know these guys well so would love to hear thoughts from those who know them better. Curious about Pitlick as he was almost a point per game this year

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

June 1, 2024:

August 15, 2024:

I'm guessing Davidson and Tuch will get contracts and the rest will walk. I'm an amateur and don't know these guys well so would love to hear thoughts from those who know them better. Curious about Pitlick as he was almost a point per game this year

I’ve watched Davidson & Tuch so I’m with your assessment but honestly I haven’t seen a lot of the others live.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I think that Davidson and Tuch will probably get NHL contracts. Guindon and Pitlick might be offered AHL contracts with Laval. I'm quite sure we'll be letting the rest go.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

June 1, 2024:

August 15, 2024:

We sign Davidson, Tuch.

The rest are gone.

But I expect us to sign a few more prospects this summer : Kapanen, Xhekaj, Hutson, Engstrom.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Tuch will get a contract solely because of his size and type of play. For a 4th year Senior, he's been dissapointing. Davidson gets contract. We could not give up on Guindon and Tourigny.

Why do you have Pitlick in 2024? Isn't he a 2025?

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I think Tuch & Davidson for sure.

Definitely not Tourigny, or Similac. Unfortunately, I don't think Guindon gets signed. I liked the pick, as he had a pretty solid D-year, but he hasn't developed all that much in last 2 years.

I'm 50-50 on Biondi & Nurmi.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Why do you have Pitlick in 2024? Isn't he a 2025?
You're right - I made the same mistake earlier in the year (the website I'm using has it wrong). Someone pointed it out that he has another year of College and is a 2025 signing

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I have no interest in "wasting" one of our limited contract spots for a Guindon/Tourigny level prospect in the hope they figure it out, or to reward their efforts. If you haven't wow'd anyone by now, we can afford to let you go.
We got many better prospects already, and a lot of high picks in the coming drafts as it currently stands.
I think if Tuch had a different last name we'd offer an AHL contract only, and that'd be it, but he'll get a chance.
Davidson I agree, possible mean 4th liner.

Ziperia

Sep 17, 2020
- KalPa qualified for the Liiga playoffs. So Kapanen won't be coming over yet.

- HPK finished before last. But Liiga does not have relegation, so Nurmi's season will be done tomorrow. Then it will be curious if Habs choose to bring him over on an AHL ATO. I'm not sure if he is still under contract with HPK next year or if he's free to sign with Montreal.
Nurmi signed a one-year extension with HPK in last December so I assume that he plays in Liiga next season unless Montreal decide to sign him before his rights expire.

KalPa play against Vaasan Sport in the first round of Liiga playoffs that starts on Friday (Match days are Friday, Sunday and Monday if needed). KalPa has to win 2 matches to qualify for quarter-finals which is the best-of-7 series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Nurmi signed a one-year extension with HPK in last December so I assume that he plays in Liiga next season unless Montreal decide to sign him before his rights expire.

Thanks for that. Now that you mentioned it, I remember.

KalPa play against Vaasan Sport in the first round of Liiga playoffs that starts on Friday (Match days are Friday, Sunday and Monday if needed). KalPa has to win 2 matches to qualify for quarter-finals which is the best of 7 series.

So the first series is Best-of-3 and then if they advance, they play Best-of-7.

So if KalPa lose to Vaasan Sport, Kapanen can become available.

Ziperia

Sep 17, 2020
There is a little chance that he get invited to Finland men's national team camp but his chances to get in final roster are nonexistent. I expect him to go on AHL try-out if he got bounced from the Liiga playoffs.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Thanks for that. Now that you mentioned it, I remember.

So the first series is Best-of-3 and then if they advance, they play Best-of-7.

has there been any signs from management that we're bringing kaps over? I would have assumed with how crowded Laval is that he'd be staying another year in europe.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sobolev with 2 assists in a 4-2 loss last night.

He has 13 pts (4G, 9A) in 26 GP since he was traded to Brantford. If he was producing like this since he joined Junior, I think Habs wouldn't have him on the wayside and he'd be participating in development or rookie camps.

In 2022, he joined the rookie camp after they started their rookie tournament. He was playing a preseason game with Windsor one night and the next night, he joined Montreal for their rookie game. This past year, he wasn't in either one.

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Sobolev with 2 assists in a 4-2 loss last night.

He has 13 pts (4G, 9A) in 26 GP since he was traded to Brantford. If he was producing like this since he joined Junior, I think Habs wouldn't have him on the wayside and he'd be participating in development or rookie camps.

In 2022, he joined the rookie camp after they started their rookie tournament. He was playing a preseason game with Windsor one night and the next night, he joined Montreal for their rookie game. This past year, he wasn't in either one.

I’m wondering if they’ll try him for the ECHL. He has size, plays RD and can hit.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I’m wondering if they’ll try him for the ECHL. He has size, plays RD and can hit.

Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. But my guess? A team will offer him an AHL deal somewhere.

I think the fact he hasn't been involved in Montreal camps this past summer is a sign that he won't be signed to any of Montreal's affiliate.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I think Sobolev is a victim of the numbers game unfortunately. He didn't show much in his D + 1 season and only mildly more in D + 2.

However, he actually is surprisingly sound and physical defensively and is the type who likely will hold his own in pro hockey more than many more impressive juniors. (Not unlike Struble).

I just don't think Montreal has him on the radar anymore given how loaded their D cupboard is. He may be a sneaky decent add to some team's depth ranks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad