Speculation: Who Will Be Signed?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So what's up with Pitlick ? Do we sign him or he returns another year in the NCAA ?

Tough to say, I would 100% sign him to an AHL contract, but for an NHL I don't think so as it looks like they could be tight against the 50 depending on what moves Hughes makes or doesn't make.

He has a number of options though. He can return for his Senior year, he is eligible for a 5th year as well if he wants but would be 25 at the end of the season by then. He's also eligible for the NCAA loophole because he didn't go directly to the NCAA after the draft. So if he wished he can become a UFA in July but has to inform the Habs and I forget by when since it's so rarely happens.

He's made progress each year in the NCAA as he's gone from 5 to 11 to 19 goals. He has elite speed, acceleration, skating, to go with some hands. Never was a big fan of his game as he has great speed but doesn't always seem to want to work hard. I didn't get to see too much of him though in the NCAA as I saw a good bit more of him during his USHL days where he was disappointing.

But he should easily get an AHL contract if not from us as his speed alone will be of interest. He's certainly in that Paul Byron model but I don't believe he can progress enough to reach close to that level but if they opted to give him an NHL contract I wouldn't complain since he does have several NHL level tools.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I imagine at this point, Pitlick won't be signed, even an AHL deal/ATO because he would have by now. He hasn't officially committed to going back to the NCAA like Snuggerud did, but if he hasn't signed yet, then either he's going back or he's still contemplating.

Also, Guindon's season is officially over and his rights expire June 1st. Curious if Habs plan to sign him and bring him to finish the season with Laval.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Kapanen has to come in the AHL next year. Makes no sense to still be in Europe...His play screams big ice surface..he needs to adapt it in a smaller ice as soon as possible.

I agree. I think him stay in NA is best. However, at least if he does go back to Europe, he's going to the SHL, which is a better league than Liiga. But I am with you in saying I'd rather he stay in NA.

Speaking of Kapanen, KalPa lost 4-0 to Tappara and are down 3-1 in the series. They play again tomorrow. So if KalPa loses tomorrow also, Kapanen's year is done.

Reactions: Nevins

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Kapanen has to come in the AHL next year. Makes no sense to still be in Europe...His play screams big ice surface..he needs to adapt it in a smaller ice as soon as possible.

Xhekaj just ate another spot that will go to a youth. How young do you guys want that team to be?

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Hypothetical nightmare scenario: If Hutson informs management that he won't sign with the Habs and decides to go back to college for 1 more year, then would you be open to taking a LHD at 5?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hypothetical nightmare scenario: If Hutson informs management that he won't sign with the Habs and decides to go back to college for 1 more year, then would you be open to taking a LHD at 5?

BPA.

Guhle, Xhekaj, Engstrom, Struble, Harris (and a few lesser prospects) are all LHD.

Edit: And by the time I answer, it becomes irrelevant :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: BergevinBurner

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
What about Tuch?
The second Mysak got traded it was the beginning of the end for Tuch.

But in all honesty I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't end up with a contract from Montreal, he hasn't had the greatest progression and will likely just be an AHL guy. There's nothing wrong with that, but we have plenty of those guys already and have Mesar/Beck knocking on the door next year too.

Reactions: Nevins

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014

But in all honesty I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't end up with a contract from Montreal, he hasn't had the greatest progression and will likely just be an AHL guy. There's nothing wrong with that, but we have plenty of those guys already and have Mesar/Beck knocking on the door next year too.
Maybe an AHL contract…

Reactions: BergevinBurner

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Maybe an AHL contract…

Tuch will definitely get a NHL contract. We also do not have plenty of guys like Tuch. Even if he ends up an AHLer, he's something they don't really have in Laval.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I don't see how 1 year longer would be an issue he's still just 20 years old so you would have him in Laval in March/April.

you get 4 years to sign Euros, use it to your advantage imo. The SHL to me is a step up from Liiga.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't see how 1 year longer would be an issue he's still just 20 years old so you would have him in Laval in March/April.

you get 4 years to sign Euros, use it to your advantage imo. The SHL to me is a step up from Liiga.
My biggest issue with Kapanen is style of play. No matter what he does in Europe. you will not see what he'll do until he comes in.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My biggest issue with Kapanen is style of play. No matter what he does in Europe. you will not see what he'll do until he comes in.

They need to appropriately space the arrivals of their prospects to the AHL. They're going to want to give prime minutes to Farrell, Mesar, Kidney, Tuch, Davidson and Beck next year. Kapanen would be an additional young guy.. probably better to have him play a year on the top line in a better professional league and then he can come in for Beck as I suspect Beck is a 1 and done AHLer.

Edit: And before people tag me and say Farrell or Mesar or whoever suck. The organization doesn't quit on people like fans do and nor should they.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

LOL

Tuch was very good during Frozen four - it would be shocking if he isn’t signed by HuGo

Reactions: Habs Icing

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
For me:
Tuch
Kapanen - would rather hin in Laval than SHL but at least sign him.
Engstrom (he can replace Norlinder in Laval)
Davidson
Guindon
Nurmi

I dont see the rest being worthwhile including Tourigny

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They need to appropriately space the arrivals of their prospects to the AHL. They're going to want to give prime minutes to Farrell, Mesar, Kidney, Tuch, Davidson and Beck next year. Kapanen would be an additional young guy.. probably better to have him play a year on the top line in a better professional league and then he can come in for Beck as I suspect Beck is a 1 and done AHLer.

Edit: And before people tag me and say Farrell or Mesar or whoever suck. The organization doesn't quit on people like fans do and nor should they.
There is no question they need to space the arrivals it's not going to get any easier keeping all those balls in the air as the rebuild progresses.
While no one should suggest Farrell or Mesar suck at one point we are going to have to look at who can they possibly replace on a balanced team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad