Who was the better player: Daniel Alfredsson or Mats Sundin?

Who was the better player over their careers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Both terrific players and superb captains but Sundin was slightly better and has the numbers to prove it.

Reactions: wetcoast

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
This is hard.

Sundin was more consistent. But I will argue that Sundin was never as good at his peak as Alfredsson was from 2005-2008. And I am someone that has been critical of Alfredsson during his career.

Sundin, not that close
It is very close.

Sundin had more longevity and consistency.

But Alfredsson at his very peak was better than Sundin ever was.

Alfredsson from 2005-2008 was an ELITE winger.

Reactions: swiftwin

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
This is hard.

Sundin was more consistent. But I will argue that Sundin was never as good at his peak as Alfredsson was from 2005-2008. And I am someone that has been critical of Alfredsson during his career.

It is very close.

I disagree. Alfredsson had a lot more help than Sundin did.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I disagree. Alfredsson had a lot more help than Sundin did.
Help or not, Sundin was never as good as Alfredsson was during that 2007 trip to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Alfredsson was dominant that year. More than Sundin ever was.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This is hard.

It is very close.

Did you realize Alfredsson’s top years he was very rarely the leading scoring on his own team? He got lucky getting to play with peak Heatley, Spezza, Yashin and Hossa. Sundin never had the kind of talent Alfredsson had around him and still put up a better PPG over a longer career. Sundin was almost always carrying the team, Alfredsson’s best years he rarely was.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Alfredsson's very close offensively (slight edge to Sundin here), but far better defensively. Alfredsson was definitely the better player, Sundin was always overrated as hell because he played for Toronto. Skilled player, no heart.
As someone who doesn't like the Leafs much, there's no way you'll get people to agree that Sundin was overrated due to being in Toronto.

Help or not, Sundin was never as good as Alfredsson was during that 2007 trip to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Alfredsson was dominant that year. More than Sundin ever was.
That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I disagree.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This is hard.

It is very close.

I don’t know about that. The narrative around Sundin was he was a superstar who never had talent around him. That’s why he would always go to best on best and dominate and captain Sweden to a gold medal. A 21 year old Sundin outscored a 23 year old Sakic and put up 114 points and lead the Nordiques in scoring, Alfredsson in his ‘peak 2005-2008 years’ never once led his own team in scoring. He got lucky to play with a peak Heatley and Spezza. Hard to say Sundin was not as good when Alfredsson wasn’t even the best player on his own line during his supposed peak.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Hmm, let's see........

Career goals
Sundin = 564
Alfie = 444

Career points
Sundin = 1349
Alfie = 1157

Best single season
Sundiin = 47G/114P
Alfie = 43G/103P

Number of 80+ point seasons
Sundin = 6
Alfie = 4

Number of 30+ goal seasons
Sundin = 13
Alfie = 4

Number of medals at int'l tourneys
Sundin = 8 (4 gold)
Alfie = 6 (1 gold)

Number of years as Team Sweden's Captain
Sundin = 10
Alfie = 1

Voted into "100 best players of all time" by the NHL
Sundin = 1
Alfie = 0

Yeah........close one.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Did you realize Alfredsson’s top years he was very rarely the leading scoring on his own team? He got lucky getting to play with peak Heatley, Spezza, Yashin and Hossa. Sundin never had the kind of talent Alfredsson had around him and still put up a better PPG over a longer career. Sundin was almost always carrying the team, Alfredsson’s best years he rarely was.
It was Heatley and Spezza who were lucky to be playing with Daniel Alfredsson. He was a much better player than either of those guys. I also believe he was much stronger defensively than Sundin ever was.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
As a senators fan, Sundin for sure.

The senators probably would have been better constructed with a 6'5 star centre than with alfredsson at their peak.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's very close (Edit : I guess I have to specify that this is Era Adjusted Points)

Sundin 1410 pts in 1346 GP

Alfredsson 1261 pts in 1246 GP

Sundin played more games as he started playing in the NHL much younger than Alfie who played more seasons in the Elitserien

When Alfredsson joined the NHL, Sundin had played 5 full NHL seasons already where the league scoring average was x.xx Goals per Game per Team. Alfie played his WHOLE career in low scoring NHL seasons.

Edit : my numbers were wrong as I looked at the wrong column, but point remains.

Even their playoffs and international resumes are close, slightly in Sundin's favor but Alfie's 2-way game is what makes this super close.

I voted Alfie but the reality is "too close to call" (which should be a poll option). There's no case of Center > Winger here as Alfie's game was very elaborated, so complete

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I don’t know about that. The narrative around Sundin was he was a superstar who never had talent around him. That’s why he would always go to best on best and dominate and captain Sweden to a gold medal. A 21 year old Sundin outscored a 23 year old Sakic and put up 114 points and lead the Nordiques in scoring, Alfredsson in his ‘peak 2005-2008 years’ never once led his own team in scoring. He got lucky to play with a peak Heatley and Spezza. Hard to say Sundin was not as good when Alfredsson wasn’t even the best player on his own line during his supposed peak.

Alfredsson tied for the scoring lead in 05-06 in 5 fewer GP. Led the team in 08-09. Paced to lead in 07-08.

Reactions: bert

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Sundin was better in best on best so kind of hard to say overrated just because Toronto.
Was he really? Because it was Alfredsson that lead that Sweden Olympic Gold Medal team in scoring. Once again another thing that often gets attributed to Sundin because he was old so he wore a C.

Actually Alfredsson outscored Sundin at 2/3 Olympics they played together. So it actually does seem like he's being overrated, once again.

Reactions: bert and banks

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
He led the team in scoring in 2005-06. Was on pace to lead the team in scoring in 2007-08. All while being the best defensive forward on the team. It really goes to show how grossly misinformed and ignorant people are towards Alfredsson as a player. I hate to say it, but a lot of fans don't really know what they're talking about here.

Reactions: bert and Bileur

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
They are one year apart in age. Their production in the years their NHL careers overlapped was a wash. Alfredsson had 355 goals and 921 points in 932 games (0.99 ppg). Sundin had 408 goals and 968 points in 975 games (0.99 ppg).

Alfredsson outproduced Sundin in the playoffs in goals and points during the years their careers overlapped, and while Sundin's best showing saw him put up 8 goals and 16 points in 17 games, Alfredsson's top performance was Conn Smythe worthy, leading the league in goals, with 14 and points, with 22 in 20 games.

Sundin produced a great amount in the five NHL seasons prior to Alfie's Calder year, but as it was a very high scoring environment in those years, he did not land himself in any top 10 category.

Sundin's international resume prior to Alfie coming on the scene was also very impressive, with strong showings, and multiple golds in world championships.

Alfredsson matched Sundin's 20 points in 16 Olympic games as teammates and went on to play in two more Olympics, adding an addition 5 goals and 7 points, and another silver. As was pointed out, Alfie led the Swedes in goals and points when they took home gold in Torino. Sundin did lead all players with 9 points in a losing cause in SLC. Going back even further, Alfredsson tied Forsberg for the Swedish lead in points in Nagano with 5 in 4 games.

And Alfredsson finished his career strong, leading Detroit in scoring as a 41 year old, and producing far more in the second half of his career.

Sundin had the clear advantage as a young player, Alfredsson as an older player.

I vote Sundin, but it is very, very close.

Last edited:

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Sundin, this isn't even close imo, he was the better player, leader and played a more important position.

Alfie had the better peak but that's really due to Spezza/Heatley
On what do you base better leader?

I picked Sundin in general but I don't see the evidence for better leader.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
On what do you base better leader?

I picked Sundin in general but I don't see the evidence for better leader.
More vocal and noticeable when the team is down a goal for example, that's all we can judge on as fans

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad