Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He’ll want more. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Bednar spent 5 years as an assistant coach in the ECHL where he probably didn't make more than $25,000 per year plus his housing. I doubt that he ever made more than $50 grand as a player.

Jared Bednar Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

I wouldn't be surprised if money isn't his primary consideration. He probably is still in disbelief at the amount of his current paycheck.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm in for Mike Vellucci. If you look up his roster on those teams he made avg players have career years. Not one nhl player on the team.

Year of seeing how pit is so successful. Hes ready
Put me down for Velucci as well . Tremendous track record of player development , as well as great success in every level he’s coached at .

Reactions: jacketsnation

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Bednar went out in round 3 last year and round 2 the previous year. He's not getting canned if they tank in this weird season's playoffs. He's won Championships in the ECHL and AHL as well. His playoff coaching acumen is not an issue.

In any case, why would an established NHL head coach who would have many options if fired come to a Tire Fire like the CBJ?
As others have mentioned but Hitchcock and Torts accepted positions with the team looking worse than it is today.

I would imagine coaches don't look at rosters the same way a potential FA signee might.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
As others have mentioned but Hitchcock and Torts accepted positions with the team looking worse than it is today.

I would imagine coaches don't look at rosters the same way a potential FA signee might.

I'd cite a few differences.

First, neither Torts nor Hitchcock had been passed over by the organization. Second, Torts had just come off of his disaster in Vancouver and had already been out of coaching over a year when the CBJ fired Richards early in the season. He may never have had another chance to coach in the NHL. Hitchcock had been fired by Philly a few games into the year he came to the CBJ. In both cases, there were no other openings available.

If a coach had a choice between coaching the CBJ or either the Colorado Avalanche or Edmonton Oilers, only a masochist would chose the CBJ.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'd cite a few differences.

First, neither Torts nor Hitchcock had been passed over by the organization. Second, Torts had just come off of his disaster in Vancouver and had already been out of coaching over a year when the CBJ fired Richards early in the season. He may never have had another chance to coach in the NHL. Hitchcock had been fired by Philly a few games into the year he came to the CBJ. In both cases, there were no other openings available.

If a coach had a choice between coaching the CBJ or either the Colorado Avalanche or Edmonton Oilers, only a masochist would chose the CBJ.
Okay fair points in a hypothetical world. Sure a coach would pick Edmonton over us, but that's not the world we're living in. But it does bring up a good question, who are we competing with for a HC with this off season? Who is realistically going to fire their coach in the next few weeks or has done so already.

I'm genuinely asking because as far as I know right now all I've heard of is Seattle, AZ and CBJ. I'm sure there will be others though

Reactions: LJ7201

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Okay fair points in a hypothetical world. Sure a coach would pick Edmonton over us, but that's not the world we're living in. But it does bring up a good question, who are we competing with for a HC with this off season? Who is realistically going to fire their coach in the next few weeks or has done so already.

I'm genuinely asking because as far as I know right now all I've heard of is Seattle, AZ and CBJ. I'm sure there will be others though

There will be more good coaches than job openings. I also agree with you, coaches don't shop for competitiveness the way top tier FAs do.

Reactions: LJ7201

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My point was that roster quality matters.

I mean, sure. But you don’t usually get the opportunity to just take your pick of rosters. And jobs with good rosters don’t usually come open. This roster might be the best that comes open this offseason. All that plus the ‘there are only 32 of these kinds of jobs.’

So while I agree with you in general, there are a lot of mitigating factors.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I mean, sure. But you don’t usually get the opportunity to just take your pick of rosters. And jobs with good rosters don’t usually come open. This roster might be the best that comes open this offseason. All that plus the ‘there are only 32 of these kinds of jobs.’

So while I agree with you in general, there are a lot of mitigating factors.

All true. In most cases, an aspiring NHL coach or an out of work former NHL coach has one choice-if he's lucky. When Babcock left Detroit he had many options as would Brind'Amour if he opted out of Carolina. I can't recall the openings when Trotz was a free agent, but I doubt the NYI were his only option. In these cases, I would find it hard to fathom that roster strength wouldn't be a strong factor in determining where to go.

If I were a sought after NHL head coach and had the choice of the CBJ or Seattle, I'd be heading to Washington State in a heartbeat even though I'd much prefer living in Columbus than Seattle.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Bednar spent 5 years as an assistant coach in the ECHL where he probably didn't make more than $25,000 per year plus his housing. I doubt that he ever made more than $50 grand as a player.

Jared Bednar Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

I wouldn't be surprised if money isn't his primary consideration. He probably is still in disbelief at the amount of his current paycheck.
4A645304-96B6-48D7-A6E4-EA8A415C3DE8.jpeg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I were a sought after NHL head coach and had the choice of the CBJ or Seattle, I'd be heading to Washington State in a heartbeat even though I'd much prefer living in Columbus than Seattle.

That's funny, I'd prefer living in Seattle, but I think it would be easier to beat expectations in Columbus, they've gone that low. If Elvis puts up a .928 season, say hello to Jack Adams.

That and even though I'd prefer living in Seattle, I'll still need every bit of my $4m salary to afford some property.

Reactions: LJ7201 and CPTN71

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That's funny, I'd prefer living in Seattle, but I think it would be easier to beat expectations in Columbus, they've gone that low. If Elvis puts up a .928 season, say hello to Jack Adams.

That and even though I'd prefer living in Seattle, I'll still need every bit of my $4m salary to afford some property.

They'll be no Jack Adams award for the next CBJ coach next year. Dream on. Elvis is not Patrick Roy on steroids. .928 on the probable roster would be an impossibility.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Elvis had .916 on this years team. With some roster improvements and more games he could easily reach that number
No he can't.

More games are probably a negative and you're saying that he could have a GAA which would be in the top 3 in the league. Not possible with this team.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Anyone mention Lane Lambert? During the intermission in the Vegas game, their telecast had him as a possibility or a suggestion although they liked Bruce Boudreau. Said Boudreau is a offensive coach that could help Laine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Anyone mention Lane Lambert? During the intermission in the Vegas game, their telecast had him as a possibility or a suggestion although they liked Bruce Boudreau. Said Boudreau is a offensive coach that could help Laine.

Lambert's name came up somewhere.

And yes Boudreau is definitely on my list. Not just because of Laine, half the team needs to step up their scoring. Obviously his Caps team was loaded, but he got great scoring out of his later Anaheim and Minnesota teams too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad