Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hahaha! Much like the old Churchill story:
At a dinner party one night, a drunk Churchill asked an attractive woman whether she would sleep with him for a million pounds. “Maybe,” the woman said coyly. “Would you sleep with me for one pound?” Churchill then asked. “Of course not, what kind of woman do you think I am?” the woman responded indignantly. “Madam, we’ve already established what kind of woman you are,” said Churchill, “now we’re just negotiating the price.”

That's a great one.

Another WC story. A women at party informed Churchill that he was quite drunk. He responded to her:

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Of course neither of those are Winston Churchill. The first one was first attributed to Lord Beaverbrook, and the second one can't be Churchill because Churchill was never sober in the morning.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Totally absurd! Our offense sucks and our power play sucks, yet he gets the interview while Shaw is released. If Larson were to be hired, it would be textbook Peter Principle although I think his current presence may already be that.

Reactions: tchigo

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Totally absurd! Our offense sucks and our power play sucks, yet he gets the interview while Shaw is released. If Larson were to be hired, it would be textbook Peter Principle although I think his current presence may already be that.

I highly doubt Larsen would be the best person for the job or that he will be hired, but let me tell you one thing about him that has raised his stock off the floor for me.

I can't remember which broadcast it was, one of our Central opponents, but they were discussing our coaching situation during a game. They said that Larsen is often arguing with Torts, imploring him to stop changing the lines and PP units. Larsen is the one who practices them and trains them on tactics, and he feels that Torts' constant shuffling has hurt team chemistry. I think he's right!

I've also heard him highly spoken of by some of the veterans. Derek Mackenzie said Larsen was pivotal for his career back when Larsen coached our AHL squad.

Obviously that's not the most important stuff when it comes to hiring a coach, but considering that we have a very opaque view of assistant quality, I figured more information would help.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I highly doubt Larsen would be the best person for the job or that he will be hired, but let me tell you one thing about him that has raised his stock off the floor for me.

I can't remember which broadcast it was, one of our Central opponents, but they were discussing our coaching situation during a game. They said that Larsen is often arguing with Torts, imploring him to stop changing the lines and PP units.
People blame Larsen for the powerplay, it’s a lazy take . His powerplay was pretty good at ahl level , it’s Torts that had 1 top 10 powerplay in all the years and places he coached at the nhl level. That tells me where the issue lies

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds like a courtesy interview. I wouldn’t get to wound up over it. Also sounds like Shaw wanted to move on regardless

I'd hope that Jarmo at least listen to what Shaw thinks the team needs. He might not be head coach material, I wouldn't know, but he's a brilliant coach. And anytime you have someone who was in the action for a long time but not in charge, you want to find out what they would have done differently.

Reactions: LJ7201

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People blame Larsen for the powerplay, it’s a lazy take . His powerplay was pretty good at ahl level , it’s Torts that had 1 top 10 powerplay in all the years and places he coached at the nhl level. That tells me where the issue lies

I would say that is a somewhat less lazy way to discover the truth, yes, but still not exactly proof in my book.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I am amazed that it is just the coaches fault for a bad power play. The players not executing would have nothing to do with it.

While having a top 10 power play would be nice, it is not a necessity to win. I believe Toronto had a top 10 PP when we eliminated them last year, and Edmonton had the top PP last year only to be eliminated by Chicago, who had a worse PP than us.

There have been teams that won a cup while not having a top PP during the season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

So the 2-3 years of good powerplay/coaching in Springfield isn’t the outlier but the 6-7 years of horrid powerplay/coaching is?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So the 2-3 years of good powerplay/coaching in Springfield isn’t the outlier but the 6-7 years of horrid powerplay/coaching is?
When the head coach has has 1 top 10 powerplay in his long and storied coaching career ? Either Torts is the unluckiest coach in modern history, or maybe he’s the one dictating lines , how the powerplay operates . Maybe there are certain passes he doesn’t want executed because of his defensive mindset ? Whatever it is , it’s followed him his whole career , and been a staple of his teams .

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
When the head coach has has 1 top 10 powerplay in his long and storied coaching career ? Either Torts is the unluckiest coach in modern history, or maybe he’s the one dictating lines , how the powerplay operates . Maybe there are certain passes he doesn’t want executed because of his defensive mindset ? Whatever it is , it’s followed him his whole career , and been a staple of his teams .

You say blaming Larsen is the laziest take and then counter by blaming Torts, which in itself is the laziest take of all. Pretty funny.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You say blaming Larsen is the laziest take and then counter by blaming Torts, which in itself is the laziest take of all. Pretty funny.
If something remains consistent every place the head coach has been , offense, powerplay , how hard is it to start seeing that maybe he’s responsible for it being so bad . Obviously Torts is a defense first coach , why is it hard to believe that his philosophies dont have a direct impact on the powerplay?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If something remains consistent every place the head coach has been , offense, powerplay , how hard is it to start seeing that maybe he’s responsible for it being so bad . Obviously Torts is a defense first coach , why is it hard to believe that his philosophies don’t have a direct impact on the powerplay?

So it’s Torts’ fault that the powerplay sucks even though he never personally ran it, and yet Larsen who did actually run it is not a bad coach. Alright.

Every year Larsen has been an assistant coach the powerplay has been middle of the pack to bad. Wouldn’t that mean he’s a middle of the pack or bad coach? Or does that only apply to head coaches I’m just figuring out where the goalposts are

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So it’s Torts’ fault that the powerplay sucks even though he never personally ran it, and yet Larsen who did actually run it is not a bad coach. Alright.

Every year Larsen has been an assistant coach the powerplay has been middle of the pack to bad. Wouldn’t that mean he’s a middle of the pack or bad coach? Or does that only apply to head coaches I’m just figuring out where the goalposts are
So Torts has nothing to do with his powerplays ? Just coincidence that hes only had one team with a good powerplay in his entire NHL coaching career? Dude better not enter Dewines covid lottery, dude has no luck... never mind stories of Larsen and Torts fighting on the bench over the powerplay personell ;)

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
So Torts has nothing to do with his powerplays ? Just coincidence that hes only had one team with a good powerplay in his entire NHL coaching career? Dude better not enter Dewines covid lottery, dude has no luck... never mind stories of Larsen and Torts fighting on the bench over the powerplay personell ;)

Dude, I don’t care who the blame is casted to. Using your logic, is it a coincidence that Larsen has had only one team with a decent powerplay as well? Isn’t it not a tad bit peculiar that he got relieved of his PP running duties twice? I tend to believe both coaches had a hand in it. But Larsen was most responsible. Also the roster at hand.

I honestly hope you’ll be okay next year. Because it’ll be tough to blame Torts when he’s not here. But I’m sure youll find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->