Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
Jarmo must have his eye on someone who was employed during the season (or is still employed). So, does not seem like he would be looking at Gallant. If not, it was absolutely horrible management on the part of Jarmo to not bring the new guy in 15 games ago when we all knew Torts was gone. Obviously, a 15 game early training camp would have been a great opportunity for a new coach to see what we have and what he likes.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Benoit Groulx — has spent the last five seasons coaching in AHL Syracuse, the top affiliate of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Groulx has never coached in the NHL.

I know nothing about him but I like his resume.

Malholtra is intriguing but never a head guy anywhere.

The new guy has to be able to develop young guys, motivate vets, be part shrink to figure out what makes certain guys tick, be able to win with a mismatched roster and maintain some of the discipline Torts brought without losing the room immediately. Good luck to whoever gets the job.

Reactions: CPTN71

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
"Experience is valuable but there's lots of different ways to gaining experience" #CBJ
GM Jarmo Kekalainen said. He added experience can be gained outside of being a head coach in the NHL.

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jarmo must have his eye on someone who was employed during the season (or is still employed). So, does not seem like he would be looking at Gallant. If not, it was absolutely horrible management on the part of Jarmo to not bring the new guy in 15 games ago when we all knew Torts was gone. Obviously, a 15 game early training camp would have been a great opportunity for a new coach to see what we have and what he likes.

Why 15 games ago? Why not 30? We knew Torts wasn't helping this team.

I'm really looking forward to the excuses next season about how the new coach and the players are all just getting used to each other.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Put me on Team Valluci. I want a winner - a guy that's won everywhere he's been in charge. Retreads are going to come in and get us into the playoffs, maybe round two if we're lucky.
Let him pick his new staff. Give him full control.
On top of that, fill in the front office with more hockey developments minds instead of bean counters and empty offices.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Put me on Team Valluci. I want a winner - a guy that's won everywhere he's been in charge. Retreads are going to come in and get us into the playoffs, maybe round two if we're lucky.
Let him pick his new staff. Give him full control.
On top of that, fill in the front office with more hockey developments minds instead of bean counters and empty offices.

Hmmmm. Hartley has won championships in three different pro leagues. Hard to top that.

I think I'm kidding. Not sure if Hartley is a serious candidate.

I've overheard that Pens fans really don't want to lose Vellucci.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I'm really looking forward to the excuses next season about how the new coach and the players are all just getting used to each other.
It will probably be along the lines of Torts ruined this guy, or this is all because of Torts and the players have to learn how to play in a new system.

Reactions: LJ7201 and Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It will probably be along the lines of Torts ruined this guy, or this is all because of Torts and the players have to learn how to play in a new system.

I think there will also be “we are waiting for the new leaders to emerge after losing Foligno and other vets” blah blah blah “accountability” blah blah blah “play the right way”. Much less fun than what Torts would say.

Reactions: Monstershockey

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't know who it is, but if they could clone Rod Brind'amour, he's they guy

Raleigh is not a big market.....better climate ya

aside from Aho's agent talking him into signing that offer sheet you don't hear about players wanting out of Raleigh..

and I don't think Aho truly wanted or expected to leave

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't know who it is, but if they could clone Rod Brind'amour, he's they guy

Raleigh is not a big market.....better climate ya

aside from Aho's agent talking him into signing that offer sheet you don't hear about players wanting out of Raleigh..

and I don't think Aho truly wanted or expected to leave
The closest conceptual equivalent (we don't know if he'd have similar success) would be Malhotra.

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
I'm in for Mike Vellucci. If you look up his roster on those teams he made avg players have career years. Not one nhl player on the team.

Year of seeing how pit is so successful. Hes ready

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I'm in for Mike Vellucci. If you look up his roster on those teams he made avg players have career years. Not one nhl player on the team.

Year of seeing how pit is so successful. Hes ready

So is Vellucci from the Sullivan coaching tree or an extension of the Torts coaching tree lol?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
MH, you are dead on . All the Torts haters will blame the lack of productivity from our young guys in Torts because he “ruined” them. Write it dowm

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
He's been a Pittsburgh assistant only since September, 2020 so I'm going to say no.

His ties seem to be strongest with Peter Karmanos vs. any particular coach. He played in Karmanos' youth hockey program in Detroit (which was a huge rival of Mike Ilitch's youth program), got drafted by Hartford and then after retiring as a player coached for the Plymouth Whalers (also owned by Karmanos) for a number of years and then joined the Carolina org and served in different capacities including being their AHL coach, winning a championship during his tenure. His roots are much, much stronger from the Carolina tree vs. the Pittsburgh tree.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He has 1 year on his deal after this year. If they go out in the first round, I would doubt they keep a lame duck coach around.

Bednar went out in round 3 last year and round 2 the previous year. He's not getting canned if they tank in this weird season's playoffs. He's won Championships in the ECHL and AHL as well. His playoff coaching acumen is not an issue.

In any case, why would an established NHL head coach who would have many options if fired come to a Tire Fire like the CBJ?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Bednar went out in round 3 last year and round 2 the previous year. He's not getting canned if they tank in this weird season's playoffs. He's won Championships in the ECHL and AHL as well. His playoff coaching acumen is not an issue.

In any case, why would an established NHL head coach who would have many options if fired come to a Tire Fire like the CBJ?
I’d take Bedner.

Reactions: Jan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad