Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What’s Boudreau’s downfall though?

The GM change in Minnesota?

Devan Dubnyk.

I don't know first-hand but there are some analysts claiming that the downfall of the Wild and this year's recovery is mostly just Dubnyk's decline and then being replaced this year. Getting rid of his negative Goals Saved Above Average accounts for more than adding Kaprizov, they say.

Reactions: CPTN71

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Just to throw something out there as I saw this in another post.

Don Granato if Buffalo doesn’t keep him. By all indications the Sabres looked respectable once he took over. He knows Columbus and knew Columbus before the CBJ were a twinkle in Papa Mac’s eye.

Don’t know much about his coaching style but He took a very bleak Buffalo situation and made it look decent. Sam Reinhart has been on fire under him and maybe could be pried out of Buffalo if Jarmo is serious about getting a center.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Why 15 games ago? Why not 30? We knew Torts wasn't helping this team.

I'm really looking forward to the excuses next season about how the new coach and the players are all just getting used to each other.

On the other hand the season was over like 20 games ago and Torts was great for tanking purposes...

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
If I could, I would hire former Lake Erie Monsters coach Jared Bednar.

In fact I do care what he has done with Colorado as much as what he did for the Monsters.

So yes, he would be my first choice...
I’d take Bedner.

My biggest problem with him, is that he has not yet really tried to fail in the NHL ;)

What’s Boudreau’s downfall though?

The GM change in Minnesota?
I do not think that Boudreau’ is what CBJ needs. Sorry.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I could, I would hire former Lake Erie Monsters coach Jared Bednar.

In fact I do care what he has done with Colorado as much as what he did for the Monsters.

So yes, he would be my first choice...

My biggest problem with him, is that he has not yet really tried to fail in the NHL ;)

The Avs were the worst team of the decade in Bednar's first season. I'd say that counts as failure.

My biggest problem with him is that he has a job and we can't hire him.

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
The Avs were the worst team of the decade in Bednar's first season. I'd say that counts as failure.

My biggest problem with him is that he has a job and we can't hire him.
That was why I wrote if I could. Because he has a job...

Honestly even so, I may look in the AHL to see if I can find a cach, that is really making a different down there.

Why choose a coach, Like Babcock, which team became worse under him or Boudreau, how could not bring his team to the next level?

No let try to find the next winner....

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That was why I wrote if I could. Because he has a job...

Honestly even so, I may look in the AHL to see if I can find a cach, that is really making a different down there.

Why choose a coach, Like Babcock, which team became worse under him or Boudreau, how could not bring his team to the next level?

No let try to find the next winner....

Boudreau has the third highest winning percentage in league history (so I've heard). Maybe there is a better coach at the AHL level but I'm not super confident that we can identify the right one.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
BrindA'mour may not be your typical money whore like most Americans and Canadians. He may have considerations beyond the almighty dollar. He appears to be that type.
But I think respect is important and if he was truly offered 1.8 like was mentioned and it is less than he made before a lowball offer would be offensive.

And I expect he'll stay in Carolina unless management really F's it up. But the Hurricanes also lowballed John Forslund so who knows.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
But I think respect is important and if he was truly offered 1.8 like was mentioned and it is less than he made before a lowball offer would be offensive.

And I expect he'll stay in Carolina unless management really F's it up. But the Hurricanes also lowballed John Forslund so who knows.

My answer may have been a ton of bricks subtle.:laugh: Sorry.

Even if he's lowballed, it's sort of like "so what" BrindA'mour had $52 million in career earnings as a player. Carolina has been his home for over 20 years. He's part of an organization which may be on the verge of a Stanley Cup. He's won a Cup as a player there.

I can't imagine him leaving that organization for a Tire Fire like the CBJ for a couple of million bucks over the course of a contract. But, one never knows. He did go through a divorce in 2004 so his financial situation may not be as rosy as I would expect it to be.

Last edited:

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
My answer may have been a ton of bricks subtle.:laugh: Sorry.

Even if he's lowballed, it's sort of like "so what"? BrindA'mour had $52 million in career earnings as a player. Carolina has been his home for over 20 years. He's part of an organization which may be on the verge of a Stanley Cup. He's won a Cup as a player there.

I can't imagine him leaving that organization for a Tire Fire like the CBJ for a couple of million bucks over the course of a contract. But, one never knows. He did go through a divorce in 2004 so his financial situation may not be as rosy as I would expect it to be.

No point having a coach that thinks relationships are the most important thing when the GM decides to beat the players into submission when he has the leverage. It will just create an awful disconnect within the power structure.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No point having a coach that thinks relationships are the most important thing when the GM decides to beat the players into submission when he has the leverage. It will just create an awful disconnect within the power structure.

On the contrary it would be a great opportunity for Jarmo to turn over a new leaf. If you want to see a disconnect, look at Carolina where Dundon insists on treating staff as disposable. This thing about Brind'Amour being a relationship builder has come to the fore because that sort of thing is under threat in Carolina.

Reactions: AHassan

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Jalonen as the head coach or assistant coach and later promote him to head coach as others here said. I like it. He's the best Finnish coach ever and the most succesful so Columbus should just try that.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Ok, CR.you convinced me. So offer him $3M just to test his principles. :laugh: :laugh:

Bob Lemon who came back to manage the Yankees for a second time under George Steinbrenner uttered one of the greatest lines when asked why he'd subject himself to King George again after being fired after a successful run (can't remember if he won a WS or not). It was:

"Every whore has her price".

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Bob Lemon who came back to manage the Yankees for a second time under George Steinbrenner uttered one of the greatest lines when asked why he'd subject himself to King George again after being fired after a successful run (can't remember if he won a WS or not). It was:

"Every whore has her price".
Hahaha! Much like the old Churchill story:
At a dinner party one night, a drunk Churchill asked an attractive woman whether she would sleep with him for a million pounds. “Maybe,” the woman said coyly. “Would you sleep with me for one pound?” Churchill then asked. “Of course not, what kind of woman do you think I am?” the woman responded indignantly. “Madam, we’ve already established what kind of woman you are,” said Churchill, “now we’re just negotiating the price.”

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hahaha! Much like the old Churchill story:
At a dinner party one night, a drunk Churchill asked an attractive woman whether she would sleep with him for a million pounds. “Maybe,” the woman said coyly. “Would you sleep with me for one pound?” Churchill then asked. “Of course not, what kind of woman do you think I am?” the woman responded indignantly. “Madam, we’ve already established what kind of woman you are,” said Churchill, “now we’re just negotiating the price.”
That's a great one.

Another WC story. A women at party informed Churchill that he was quite drunk. He responded to her:

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Reactions: MoeBartoli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad