Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The rumor floating now from Eklund is Quinn is going to be the coach of the Sabres.

we all know to take that with a grain of salt but if Buffalo makes their choice and it isn't Don Granato we need to give him some serious considerations for a role. Granato did a great job for them at the end of the season once he took over. And also importantly from a team marketing perspective, how could bringing in an original Chill player and former head coach not be a huge marketing boost?

I can't imagine that there are a ton of Chill-diehards that aren't Jackets fans by now.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I’m guessing we get the coach this week. If they’re done with second interviews you would think it’s nearing a decision. And it looks like Larsen or Tocchet

If it's down to just those two, I'd take Larsen.

I thought of Tocchet as a bit of a non-entity in the coaching role and had no strong opinion on his candidacy, but looking at his record, there's no reason in terms of results he should be coaching again. I don't expect the playoffs or a lot of wins in the next two seasons but...wait...maybe that makes him the perfect coach?...Could that be it?

At any rate, between those two, I'll take the unknown that's all promise vs the guy who's had 6 seasons to prove something and hasn't managed to.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Of course I am biased, but the one thing Jalonen has always excelled at IMHO is getting the most out of underdog teams or getting players to accept their given roles for the graeter god of the franchise/team.

Very true. I'd love to see Jalonen coaching Columbus as either the head coach or as an assistant coach.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
If it's down to just those two, I'd take Larsen.

I thought of Tocchet as a bit of a non-entity in the coaching role and had no strong opinion on his candidacy, but looking at his record, there's no reason in terms of results he should be coaching again. I don't expect the playoffs or a lot of wins in the next two seasons but...wait...maybe that makes him the perfect coach?...Could that be it?

At any rate, between those two, I'll take the unknown that's all promise vs the guy who's had 6 seasons to prove something and hasn't managed to.
Absolutely agree. I really like to think Tocchet is out of the running and they're just doing due diligence.

At this point, it feels like they're waiting on Gallant to make a decision. If he picks us, great, we go with him. If he picks NYR, Larsen gets promoted.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Sounds like we may be in a holding pattern , The Post has been told that Jared Bednar’s job as coach of the Avalanche might be in jeopardy if Colorado goes down to Vegas in a series that was tied 2-2 entering Tuesday’s Game 5. It is not clear whether Bednar would become a candidate in New York if he becomes available

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If they’re going to waffle and wait around it would be the perfect time to jump on Gallant just saying ;)

Reactions: MissADD

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I think this turning into a giant game of chicken. No one wants to be the 1st to offer. Everyone is waiting for everyone else to do something.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I’m guessing we get the coach this week. If they’re done with second interviews you would think it’s nearing a decision. And it looks like Larsen or Tocchet

That's where I'm at. I don't know anything about Tocchet, but I'm guessing they want a players' coach who can maybe develop some talent before they're let go in 2-3 years.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
I guess everyone is going to see who blinks first. Is everyone after Gallant? Quinn? Tocchet? Somebody else? Will be interesting to see. The bit about Bednar is interesting for sure. I would have to think that JD/Jarmo would want to have a chat.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
If we're going through a rebuild, it makes sense to hire someone who works well with the youngsters and maybe Larsen is the best option of the bunch in that respect. That said, I'm curious as to who he would bring in as assistants as I'm not sure how good his connections are around the league.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I think Larsen would be an unequivocally better coach than Arniel. That is a low bar, but I really don't worry about that. I was never really one of the fans that hated Larsen because of the powerplay. I assigned most of that blame to Torts who has had terrible powerplays everywhere, and basically coached the skill out of the players with his system.

The only thing I would dislike about this hire is that it's from the inside. And because of that, if they thought Larsen to be the best candidate, then they really should have fired Torts mid season and tried to give Larsen a test. All that said, there is a lot to like about Larsen. He's young, was an excellent AHL coach, and the players clearly like him a lot. Both of his AHL teams were top 5 in scoring, up from 12th before he was there. Because of that, I'm not convinced that this would be a "throw in the towel" hire at all.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think Larsen will be a great hire , especially if Jukka comes over has associate/ assistant coach. Larsen was like 94-45 leading our Ahl team to 2 division titles in 2 yrs . And a 21 point improvement in his first season . Former player , has overcome some crazy things in his personal life .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad