Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
What’s funny is that it takes Larsen being the front runner for Porty to do some actual investigation into the situation . Torts had 1 top 10 powerplay his whole nhl coaching career, yet people wanted to blame Larsen.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Yeah, I just don't see a big name being hired for a team that has low expectations for the next 2-3 years. Larsen will be hired for developmental purposes, and while it doesn't thrill me, it makes sense and could be a low-risk, high reward move.

Reactions: Fred Glover

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
I think Larsen will be a great hire , especially if Jukka comes over has associate/ assistant coach. Larsen was like 94-45 leading our Ahl team to 2 division titles in 2 yrs . And a 21 point improvement in his first season . Former player , has overcome some crazy things in his personal life .
Well, it's easy enough to imagine a scenario where Larsen is a powerless lackey/desperate to be a HC and Jarmo chooses the assistant coaches.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Makes sense as long as we are rebuilding and not reloading. Brass obviously knows Larsen and knows if he will think big picture and if the “in house” players respect him.

Now if we suddenly trade for Eichel/Marner types then I will start scratching my head over this one.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
No please no. Not Brad f***ing Larsen. Why God why this organization isnt trying to move forward not backward..

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Summer Scorecard

1. Get Seth Jones to sign long-term. FAIL
2. Win the Draft Lottery. FAIL
3. Build center ice depth. OH, Max Domi is hurt and will be out six months. FAIL
4. Hire a decent head coach. FAIL

Brick by brick, is suddenly taking on a basketball definition. My enthusiasm for this club is beginning to wane. It's too bad that they continue to sling this kind of crap at the fan base, and we're dumb enough to believe that we won't be served more of the same. I would like for this franchise to prove me wrong for once. You want to know why there are so many Debbie Downers on this site, it's because we've basically been served 20+ years of minor league stuff.

Reactions: Halfboard

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Summer Scorecard

3. Build center ice depth. OH, Max Domi is hurt and will be out six months. FAIL

Brick by brick, is suddenly taking on a basketball definition. My enthusiasm for this club is beginning to wane. It's too bad that they continue to sling this kind of crap at the fan base, and we're dumb enough to believe that we won't be served more of the same. I would like for this franchise to prove me wrong for once. You want to know why there are so many Debbie Downers on this site, it's because we've basically been served 20+ years of minor league stuff.
Spot. On.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I am waiting to see what Larsen does
I totally don’t blame him for the PP
Torts and the players have a lot to do with it as well
At the very least now Larsen gives someone else charge of the power play
It might actually improve things on the power play
You heard it here first

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
And one more thing about the possible hire
He does have a track record as a HC in the minors and he has worked with young players
It might give a clue to what the FO is thinking
I don’t think they blow it up but I do think we will be getting younger players and prospects which will develop on the NHL level
Think what the Indians did in the Thome and Alomar years
They had promise, were young prospects and exploded on the major league level

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Have to imagine the hiring of Larson opens up Jarmo's window to hire Jalonen to get the "experience" that JD was referring to.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I get the angst some of you are feeling about this potential hiring but frankly my expectations for this team over the next 2-3 years are pretty low so does it really matter who we hire anyways. Hopefully at worst Larsen teaches the kids to play the right way without hurting their feelings so that when Larsen's days are over they can hire another coach who can take the team to the next level and beyond.

Reactions: Monk and CBJx614

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
One thing we should at least consider in terms of the Larsen hire is that he MAY bring instant credibility in the locker room above and beyond his existing relationships with the players.

IF the players had tuned out Torts and
IF the players saw Larsen clashing with Torts and pushing back on his style and decisions (which I seem to recall was a thing that was openly discussed in the media)
THEN leadership may view Larsen as a bit of an instant salve for things like anger over playing style, damaged egos, etc.

Could be the sort of thing where Larsen has credibility in the room already, but also has an "outsider's" view of things because he didn't agree with some of Torts decisions.

I dunno. I think there's enough crap to drive me crazy about this team that I'm not going to waste my outrage on something that can't possibly be judged for at least a year.

Reactions: CBJx614 and LJ7201

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Feel bad for Larsen. He's going to be the first fall guy for what is about to happen to this team for the next 3-4 years. Hopefully we can get a number one pick or two in that time period.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Summer Scorecard

to be fair, winning the lottery is kind of outside the franchise’s control.

bolstering C depth was always more likely to happen in the off-season which we’re not there yet.

I’ve got nothing for 1 and 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad