Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I hope we hire Larsen. I just want to see the reactions.

R9a22aa926d9d9ed016a7e4b54b8cf3b9

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Torts had earned the right to go out on his own terms.

Guess that's your opinion.
My opinion is he wanted out but most importantly he wanted to get paid. When he figured out he wouldn't get paid to step down, he stuck around.

Now my opinion - He tried to get fired during the season so he would get paid and the CBJ were too cheap to fire him (knowing they would have likely had to spend another $1m+ to replace him. So they stuck with him through this horrible season.

You call that his own terms, I call it a tight-fisted ownership that had to turn the arena over the city/county to make repairs that wouldn't pay him to go away. That would have been going out on his own terms.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
There is no way I would accept my assistants picked for me even if I was a first time head coach. Your replacement is already there. The players know this so why would they play hard for the guy knowing he will be replaced sooner rather than later. Plus, then you have to worry if the assistant is undermining what you are doing so he can replace you faster.

It also doesn't reflect well on the organization. It shows you aren't quite sure what you want to do.

Pick a guy, and let him get to work.
This is exactly right. If I’m coming in as HC, it’s me - not the GM or front office - picking my assistant coaches. Only someone worried they may never get a HC job - or one about fired and wanting to save his job - might agree to allow otherwise.

Reactions: Monstershockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Torts had earned the right to go out on his own terms.

What were his terms?

Getting fired and getting to keep the money?

Or

Waiting it out with a team he didn't want to coach and was transparently doing a poor job with?

It would help to know what Torts preference was so we can honor him with giving him what he wants.

Also it's nice to know that you can just earn the right to walk away with a free year's salary for not doing work, if that's an option. I'll look forward to that at my job.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m guessing we get the coach this week. If they’re done with second interviews you would think it’s nearing a decision. And it looks like Larsen or Tocchet

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m guessing we get the coach this week. If they’re done with second interviews you would think it’s nearing a decision. And it looks like Larsen or Tocchet

I'm just going to have to trust they know these people much better than any of us. Which, well, they do.

Funny enough Friedman and Marek were just going on and on about how much people around the league respect Rick Tocchet as a coach. I don't see it but if they do, then maybe he's good.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Larsen is far and away the least sexy candidate but he has the advantage of seeing precisely what didn't work last season which could bode well

Reactions: DJA and majormajor

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
At this point I'm assuming Gallant goes to NYR, and we just promote Larsen.

A lot of execs clearly think more highly of Tocchet than fans do, but I just don't see it. He's been mediocre everywhere.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Larsen is far and away the least sexy candidate but he has the advantage of seeing precisely what didn't work last season which could bode well

Oh he's got a seven year bank of info on what works and doesn't work.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
With NYR apparently dead set on Gallant, the only hope the CBJ would have in getting Gallant is if he wants a reunion with CBJ, which I don't think is out of the question, but seems very, very unlikely.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We aren't going to win a bidding war with the Rangers.

If Larsen is such a good choice, why hasn't another team ever reached out for a chance to interview him now or in the past?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

If Larsen is such a good choice, why hasn't another team ever reached out for a chance to interview him now or in the past?

We might not know if they did. CBJ are the ones that decide who he can talk to.

Twain

Jul 1, 2019

I hope someone else hires him and he succeeds there. It would also be interesting to see that reaction. The fanbase (me included) who are mad that they are even considering him as the head coach would make a quick one-eighty and become absolutely livid at Jarmo/JD for letting him go elsewhere. I mean I don’t see him as the best choice for the job, but do I really have any other arguments than that the power play didn’t work. The front office and leadership group of the players have a much better understanding whether he is capable for the job or not.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Its pretty rare to see an assistant promoted to a head job thats team isnt making deep runs into the playoffs, to be honest. Had the jackets not promoted him to assistant coach, after having a couple really good years in the AHL, he most likely would be an NHL coach by now....

Brad Larsen joined the Columbus Blue Jackets as an assistant coach on June 16, 2014 after spending the previous two seasons as head coach of the Springfield Falcons, the club’s American Hockey League affiliate. After joining the Falcons as an assistant coach prior to the 2010-11 season, he was promoted to head coach on May 21, 2012 and guided the club to a 92-45-15 record and a pair of Northeast Division titles in two seasons behind the bench.

In 2012-13, Larsen guided Springfield to a 45-22-9 record, which represented a 21-point improvement over the previous season. The Falcons then posted the first 100-point campaign in franchise history in 2013-14, finishing with the AHL’s third-best record at 47-23-6 (100 pts.).

Reactions: leleleopold

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
If they hire Larson, it tells me they are rebuilding instead of reloading and they want to save money on the coach. I'm ok with that. It makes no sense to hire Gallant or any other big name coach if they are rebuilding. Develop the kids and then bring in the big name coach to get them to the next level.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

I would give him two pieces of advice:

1) Everything you did as coach under Torts.....do the opposite. 2) Pack lightly.

I can't believe the team has only talked to this few coaching candidates (does this show how attractive our coaching position is). Maybe there are others we are not hearing about.

Actually, if it comes down to this list (I'm not impressed) than Larsen might as well stay on a short term show me contract. I see a rebuild anyway and he would be cheaper. He could either be given a chance to be a hero or kind of a "waiting in the wings" scapegoat if things don't go so well during this transition period.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Holy moly i will shit myself and stop believing at anything good if our new HEADcoach is Larsen. Just pay for Goofy for being coach its the same.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The rumor floating now from Eklund is Quinn is going to be the coach of the Sabres.

we all know to take that with a grain of salt but if Buffalo makes their choice and it isn't Don Granato we need to give him some serious considerations for a role. Granato did a great job for them at the end of the season once he took over. And also importantly from a team marketing perspective, how could bringing in an original Chill player and former head coach not be a huge marketing boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad