Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Summer Scorecard

1. Get Seth Jones to sign long-term. FAIL
2. Win the Draft Lottery. FAIL
3. Build center ice depth. OH, Max Domi is hurt and will be out six months. FAIL
4. Hire a decent head coach. FAIL

Brick by brick, is suddenly taking on a basketball definition. My enthusiasm for this club is beginning to wane. It's too bad that they continue to sling this kind of crap at the fan base, and we're dumb enough to believe that we won't be served more of the same. I would like for this franchise to prove me wrong for once. You want to know why there are so many Debbie Downers on this site, it's because we've basically been served 20+ years of minor league stuff.
I don't know what Max Domi's injury has to do with making acquisitions at the center ice position, but sure.

It's not even the off season yet. This one would have to be Incomplete if anything.

Winning the draft lottery is something that is not even in our control so idk how we can "fail" that.

If we're handing out grades I give your post a D-

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If it's down to just those two, I'd take Larsen.

I thought of Tocchet as a bit of a non-entity in the coaching role and had no strong opinion on his candidacy, but looking at his record, there's no reason in terms of results he should be coaching again. I don't expect the playoffs or a lot of wins in the next two seasons but...wait...maybe that makes him the perfect coach?...Could that be it?

At any rate, between those two, I'll take the unknown that's all promise vs the guy who's had 6 seasons to prove something and hasn't managed to.
So which is it? First you said you'd take Larsen, then you you'd take the unknown and not Larsen. :)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Summer Scorecard

1. Get Seth Jones to sign long-term. FAIL
2. Win the Draft Lottery. FAIL
3. Build center ice depth. OH, Max Domi is hurt and will be out six months. FAIL
4. Hire a decent head coach. FAIL

Brick by brick, is suddenly taking on a basketball definition. My enthusiasm for this club is beginning to wane. It's too bad that they continue to sling this kind of crap at the fan base, and we're dumb enough to believe that we won't be served more of the same. I would like for this franchise to prove me wrong for once. You want to know why there are so many Debbie Downers on this site, it's because we've basically been served 20+ years of minor league stuff.

Hey now 3 isn’t a fail yet we still have 3 long months to wait before we can call that one

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I get the angst some of you are feeling about this potential hiring but frankly my expectations for this team over the next 2-3 years are pretty low so does it really matter who we hire anyways. Hopefully at worst Larsen teaches the kids to play the right way without hurting their feelings so that when Larsen's days are over they can hire another coach who can take the team to the next level and beyond.
It absolutely matters. Players don't learn on their own. You need the correct structure, instruction and balance. I have no issue with it being Larsen as he has worked with young players, albeit not the NHL level, and if the guys in the room that want to be here support this then far be it from me to say otherwise.

As I've spewed in other threads, you need a plan and if you feel Larsen can actually get more out of players, develop young players and be part of the PLAN, then you go with it. I'd prefer Galant but I'm OK with this. They lose and look rudderless, then you need to rethink things. They lose but show development, then we should move forward.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
to be fair, winning the lottery is kind of outside the franchise’s control.

bolstering C depth was always more likely to happen in the off-season which we’re not there yet.

I’ve got nothing for 1 and 4

I guess it could have been better summarized by just saying this organization couldn't hit water if it fell out of a boat.

Reactions: cslebn

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If they bring in that darn (I wanted to use a stronger word) Finn who wants to be an NHL coach as Larsen's assistant, then it is obvious that Larsen is being set up to fail. I mean, when your future replacement is hired at the same time you are, don't expect to be around too long.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
I don't know what Max Domi's injury has to do with making acquisitions at the center ice position, but sure.

It's not even the off season yet. This one would have to be Incomplete if anything.

Winning the draft lottery is something that is not even in our control so idk how we can "fail" that.

If we're handing out grades I give your post a D-

I'd venture to guess there are more people that feel the way I do, than side with you.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The idea of hiring insider Larsen when there are other legit candidates out there such as Gallant and Quinn reinforces the idea that Columbus cannot attract qualify outsiders to the organization. The optics are that we have to promote from within because we cannot attract a qualified head coach from the outside. It just makes the Columbus franchise look smaller and smaller compared to the rest of the league. It really is a signal to the fan base to expect a long, slow, slog back to respectability.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
For everyone on the Larsen train who thinks he is the anti Torts, why did we keep Torts so long if the answer was in house? Everyone Pro Larsen is making it sound like Torts was 100% responsible for the teams failures on the power play and with developing young players. I really find that hard to believe.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
It absolutely matters. Players don't learn on their own. You need the correct structure, instruction and balance. I have no issue with it being Larsen as he has worked with young players, albeit not the NHL level, and if the guys in the room that want to be here support this then far be it from me to say otherwise.

As I've spewed in other threads, you need a plan and if you feel Larsen can actually get more out of players, develop young players and be part of the PLAN, then you go with it. I'd prefer Galant but I'm OK with this. They lose and look rudderless, then you need to rethink things. They lose but show development, then we should move forward.

I agree with your take; worst case scenario is that the kids don't learn to play the right way early on and we end up with a rebuild that goes for naught ala Buffalo's. That said, Larsen has been a head coach at the AHL level with good winning percentages so at least he has that going for him. Ultimately I think his success will hinge on the assistants he brings on board.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
And certainly Brad Larsen is not a name that will attract any UFA's.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
One thing we should at least consider in terms of the Larsen hire is that he MAY bring instant credibility in the locker room above and beyond his existing relationships with the players.

IF the players had tuned out Torts and
IF the players saw Larsen clashing with Torts and pushing back on his style and decisions (which I seem to recall was a thing that was openly discussed in the media)
THEN leadership may view Larsen as a bit of an instant salve for things like anger over playing style, damaged egos, etc.

Could be the sort of thing where Larsen has credibility in the room already, but also has an "outsider's" view of things because he didn't agree with some of Torts decisions.

I dunno. I think there's enough crap to drive me crazy about this team that I'm not going to waste my outrage on something that can't possibly be judged for at least a year.
That's the thing, though - since Larsen has been here, there's folks who already think this can be judged Right Now. Prior to now, in fact.

But otherwise, I do agree that outrage is a precious commodity that should only be spent carefully and with all due consideration. :nod: ;)

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
So...if they wanted Larsen to be the next coach, why didn't they buy out Torts and get a look at him as the temporary HC instead of wasting a whole season and now going into it as an unknown.

This is a failure by ownership and/or front office to maximize time, resources and opportunity. Piss poor management, actually.

Here's to hoping Larsen is good. I have no idea whether he will be or not. But I know, for certain, that this could have been handled much better.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Welp

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
So...if they wanted Larsen to be the next coach, why didn't they buy out Torts and get a look at him as the temporary HC instead of wasting a whole season and now going into it as an unknown.

This is a failure by ownership and/or front office to maximize time, resources and opportunity. Piss poor management, actually.

Here's to hoping Larsen is good. I have no idea whether he will be or not. But I know, for certain, that this could have been handled much better.

Only thing I can think of is that he blew them away in the interview and showed he had new ideas and Torts wasn't having it

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Only thing I can think of is that he blew them away in the interview and showed he had new ideas and Torts wasn't having it

If that's true, then I have entirely new questions to ask of ownership and front office.

All of this comes back to me thinking that the Blue Jackets let their wallet throw away a season.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
The players clearly wanted Larsen, it's painfully obvious that's what the powwow at Jarmo's house was all about. Now, that raises other questions about why we care what Seth Jones thinks, since he won't be here anyway. Also makes me wonder what becomes of Laine since he and Larsen went at it already (not to mention the rumors about the "leadership group" not being a fan of Laine).

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
For everyone on the Larsen train who thinks he is the anti Torts, why did we keep Torts so long if the answer was in house? Everyone Pro Larsen is making it sound like Torts was 100% responsible for the teams failures on the power play and with developing young players. I really find that hard to believe.
As always the truth is somewhere in the middle
Larsen shouldn’t have all the blame and neither should Torts but the buck stops with Torts
I am willing to give a new HC a chance
We will find out soon enough if it’s the right hire

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
It definitely could be Larsen. However, based on that new Front and Nationwide podcast, I’m not fully convinced Porty knows any more than we do. Seems to be mostly guessing.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
The players clearly wanted Larsen, it's painfully obvious that's what the powwow at Jarmo's house was all about. Now, that raises other questions about why we care what Seth Jones thinks, since he won't be here anyway. Also makes me wonder what becomes of Laine since he and Larsen went at it already (not to mention the rumors about the "leadership group" not being a fan of Laine).

Well him and Torts went at and they moved past it, so I bet him and Larson can too. I also wonder if Larsen potentially being the guy, he will accept Jalonen as one of his assistants and will help Laine, so the leadership group will wait and see again. I think it would be harsh for the leadership group to disregard a guy after a once in a lifetime season that probably prevented him from adjusting.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
For everyone on the Larsen train who thinks he is the anti Torts, why did we keep Torts so long if the answer was in house?
Because Torts was doing pretty well until just last season. Because the captain of the team literally begged him to stay on behalf of the team. Because by the time Torts should have been pushed out it was kinda already too late. Because paying a guy not to coach during COVID financial hit probably didn't seem worth it.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
It definitely could be Larsen. However, based on that new Front and Nationwide podcast, I’m not fully convinced Porty knows any more than we do. Seems to be mostly guessing.
I honestly don't know what to make of Portzline. One day I think he's clueless and his sources are no longer in the FO, and the next day I think the team leaks stuff to him directly to get ahead of narratives.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
As has been pointed out by ClevelandJacketsfan, if it is Larsen the management of this franchise (and for the period in question, that would be Jarmo) was irresponsible to leave Torts coach the whole season, knowing he did not want to be here, while having Larsen sitting in the coaches box waiting for his chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad